ELP Emerson Lake & Palmer Cataloge in 5.1 Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, the sound is very clear but the surround treatment was not aggressive enough and some notable highlights were essentially buried in the mix.
SW also said "It’s not a sort of sonic makeover like Aqualung was." "I’m not going to make any great plans for saying the ELP albums have that kind of improvement, but it is kind of nice to have them."
I know SW said these were FLAT transfers but I take that statement as a description of the results.

awww. come on . let it go...SW even mentioned it...how far can you go with a three piece band playing in a studio????
I think he worked miracles with what little (althhough EXCEPTIONALLY recorded) he was given....

Find your CHI!!!!

Peace!

The Menu on the ELP DVDs give you 3 audio choices
advanced surround
advanced stereo
DTS 5.1
But did anyone not that there are 2 more. there is an addition stereo LPCM and Dolby 5.1 tracks.
MY OPPO 93 93 press display it says there are 4 tracks press go to and toggle over to tracks
advanced surround
advanced stereo
lpcm stereo
DOlby 5.1

Or if you go to DTS 5.1 in the main menu and push AUDIO on your oppo remote you get to choose
If Tarkus NJ and the rest of you heard the DOLBY version of the first 2 minutes of Tarkus you might hear what he is talking about - sounds different to me? Am I wrong?

I think it's time to step in and give my friend a word of support. Delusional is a strong word and I find it pretty disrespectful. Yeah he seems a bit crazed and can drive me to distraction at times but he extremely passionate about quality of all music and his music is ELP. A longtime fan he has bought every album in every format in multiple copies. His collection is a mirror of mine (ie he is not ELP centric). He knows ELP note for note via recorded medium. He has been to myriad concerts. HE knows ELP note for note. He was at the Madison Square Garden and saw the orchestra. He was at the 40th show in London. He saw and hear ELP on the Brain Salad Surgery tour. HE saw and Heard ELP in Quad. The quality of his recordings have been used by the group in a so called legitimate cd releases. He has archived the quad 8 track of the famous triple live LP of ELP into a Superior recording and that reflected what I/we heard during that wondrous tour. THe menu and video of his DVD-A is incredible. We many images while the disc is playing and speeds up with the syth whirring around befo it blows up at the end of Karnevil 9. TNJ's Aquatarkus is in the top 10 best ELP song recorded in surround. BTW, I have been to 47 elp concerts in 18 states and 2 continents.
He is the definition of an audiophile. His headphones alone are worth more than many people's hoe systems. He personally installed my car's audio system and you cannot find a better sounding system in any car anywhere...it's as close to surround sound headphones as you will ever experience.
Tarkus NJ is entitled to his opinion period and you may not agree with it but do not doubt his qualifications thet are impeccable. He's no Steven Wilson of course but if SW heard TarkusNJ's work I am sure he's be impressed. All he'd have to hear is 3 minutes of Aquatarkus like we heard it in 73.
I love the new releases (knife edge is SOO Cool) doing them. And yeah I'd like to hear abit more balls in the hammond at the start of Tarkus - yeah I'd like to hear more surround effects like on BSS and the way I heard it in concert but SW wasn't around then (I think) and ELP and you and I are blessed to have SW give his treatment my beloved long under appreciated group. I look forward to Pictures and Trilogy.

can't finish thi s I have to Runn more later have fun be at peace

awww. come on . let it go...SW even mentioned it...how far can you go with a three piece band playing in a studio????
I think he worked miracles with what little (althhough EXCEPTIONALLY recorded) he was given....

Find your CHI!!!!

Peace!

Same 3 piece band on BSS.

Yes, the sound is very clear but the surround treatment was not aggressive enough and some notable highlights were essentially buried in the mix.

This doesn't mean the surround wasn't aggressive enough. The surround mix is quite aggressive. What you object to, as do I, is the choices made. We object to the lead keyboards
being placed in the surround channels. That's an aggressive choice. Stop being a troll and think carefully before you post. You aren't doing your side any favors.

if you want to do something constructive, please see my new post

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...cate-original-mix-effects&p=160361#post160361

Welcome to QQ, ichiu7.
Thanks. I see I joined the forum in 2006 and have only posted twice :-(

I guess I have not been motivated to do so until I began to follow this thread linked from a posting on avsforum which I frequent more often.

I think somebody else also mentioned it but apparently Greg Lake (and the others perhaps) approved this mix so one can assume it's the best that they could achieve with the source material they had at hand and whatever artistic interpretation Greg et al wanted to bring to the release.

One could only really argue about the release being better if one had access to the original 16 track masters and noticed technical deficiencies in the new mix related to the post production or mixing process. I would surmise very few people in this forum have access to that material. As for the mixing decisions I would assume they represent what Steve wanted and Greg approved. How can we argue with that?

This doesn't mean the surround wasn't aggressive enough. The surround mix is quite aggressive. What you object to, as do I, is the choices made. We object to the lead keyboards
being placed in the surround channels. That's an aggressive choice. Stop being a troll and think carefully before you post. You aren't doing your side any favors.

Huh? What is my side?
And the surround mix is bland at best. You should hear how it sounded in my head before these releases. I have UPMIXES that sound BETTER!!!!!
Anyone want a copy of them, I would send them to you for free.

I guess I have not been motivated to do so until I began to follow this thread linked from a posting on avsforum which I frequent more often.

I think somebody else also mentioned it but apparently Greg Lake (and the others perhaps) approved this mix so one can assume it's the best that they could achieve with the source material they had at hand and whatever artistic interpretation Greg et al wanted to bring to the release.

One could only really argue about the release being better if one had access to the original 16 track masters and noticed technical deficiencies in the new mix related to the post production or mixing process. I would surmise very few people in this forum have access to that material. As for the mixing decisions I would assume they represent what Steve wanted and Greg approved. How can we argue with that?

Listen...do you really believe Greg and the rest of the band heard these releases? It has been stated that Greg was in the studio but I doubt he listened to these mixes in their entirety. You can take that to the bank.
Greg has said in the past that he is NOT a big fan of surround sound if the album was not originally recorded for that format. That is a fact.
I know you all believe I don't know what I am talking about but I don't care anymore. Lets "theorize" why UB was being pulled.

But..would ELP circa 1972 think these mixes were the best they could achieve?

And in the absence of alternate mixes, how can they say that in any case? Only 'Lucky Man' from the Kellog mix (or DPLII or unauthorized upmixes) offer alternate choices.

The 'side' that doesn't think Wilson's mix is just uncritically wonderful. The ones who won't vote 9 or 10 on the QQ poll.

Well, I am not trying to be different here. I am being honest and it seems I am in the minority or I am the only one who will state what I REALLY feel.
Like I have said, I LOVE SW's other mixes. These 2 ELP releases are fair at best. I gave BSS a spin today and thought of what these releases could have been and what I expected them to be.

This food fight is giving me a headache. If the SW mixes are so bad, throw the damn things away or return them for a refund. If you like his mixes, enjoy. This on and on is sounding sick and causing ill feelings. Vote in the poll and move on please.

This food fight is giving me a headache. If the SW mixes are so bad, throw the damn things away or return them for a refund. If you like his mixes, enjoy. This on and on is sounding sick and causing ill feelings. Vote in the poll and move on please.

He did vote but I think he pushed the wrong button!

personally I'm glad we've got discrete mixes....bring on Trilogy !!!

Well, I am not trying to be different here. I am being honest and it seems I am in the minority or I am the only one who will state what I REALLY feel.
Like I have said, I LOVE SW's other mixes. These 2 ELP releases are fair at best. I gave BSS a spin today and thought of what these releases could have been and what I expected them to be.

I think your problem is your own ego getting in the way, you have said numerous times you don't like the mix, we get the point, as for the comment on honesty and saying what they really feel, we all do that and let me give you an example, YOU tarkusnj are becoming tiresome and boring, lets look forward to future ELP recordings put your own soapbox away and move on.

I think your problem is your own ego getting in the way, you have said numerous times you don't like the mix, we get the point, as for the comment on honesty and saying what they really feel, we all do that and let me give you an example, YOU tarkusnj are becoming tiresome and boring, lets look forward to future ELP recordings put your own soapbox away and move on.

It is my ears that are getting in the way and this is not MY soapbox, I actually thought it was a forum. My mistake I guess.
And I am hoping for more ELP releases just like you.
See? We agree on that.

It is my ears that are getting in the way and this is not MY soapbox, I actually thought it was a forum. My mistake I guess.
And I am hoping for more ELP releases just like you.
See? We agree on that.

No Jersey, I think fluid is right. It IS your ego. You are frustrated that nobody will come to you and ASK why you don't like them ... but that makes no sense.
Who cares what you or anyone really thinks? This whole this is subjective. What some like, some don't ... period (to use one of your favourite words).
Yes; it is a forum, but you sound like the proverbial broken record. You have nothing new to add. Everyone sees your posts as "blah, blah, blah" ... is that what you want to say?
I expect not, so give is a rest. Move on to another topic and bore everyone with that one for a while.

He personally installed my car's audio system and you cannot find a better sounding system in any car anywhere...it's as close to surround sound headphones as you will ever experience.

What a bitch it was to do that car. An Audi TT with the factory Bose system. Figuring out the wiring from the head unit-speakers-amp and the cd changer mounted in the rear was LOTS of fun!
It already had a POS center channel speaker on top of the dash which had to be replaced.

Let's try to change the tone here. Many folks want to know more about ELP.

So here is a question: Why wasn't the ELP cover used for the band Spirit as supposedly intended for? How did it end up as a ELP cover? It's a great painting.

From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerson_Lake_&_Palmer_(album)#Cover_art

The cover painting is by the British artist Nic Dartnell. It was originally intended for the American group Spirit. The bald-headed man on the left of the cover is Spirit's drummer, Ed Cassidy. The cover depicts a fluttering white bird with a human ear in the bottom left corner; the bird's left wing outlines the back of the male head to which the ear is attached, the other half of which is on the back of the album, and the right wing outlines a female head.

OK, enoughs enough, your just out to wind him up now. Call it a day,and can someone put an end to this thread before it gets out of control.... PLEASE

Back