ELP Emerson Lake & Palmer Cataloge in 5.1 Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It doesn't matter how you say it (or who says it) it is always an opinion. I'd like to think that we can say a few outrageous things from time to time without everybody jumping all over each other.

So I guess I am wrong for saying that I think that these releases should/could have been better. Sorry. I will conform.

The problem is that you keep repeating your opinion over and over and over again. Why not give it a rest. You have made your point.
You have indicated that it is absolute truth ... as in "period" ... so how many times do you actually have to make your point?

One strange thing is that for all their prog sensibilities, myself and others talk a lot about Lucky Man which is just a pop song IMO. Partially this may be because of the comparison of the surround mixes but maybe proves that a good song always shines through. I'm hoping for Trilogy and Pictures also to be released, mixed expertly (as in the two examples we have) by Mr Wilson and in the same format as these two. I'd love to hear Hoedown, Endless Enigma etc in this format but maybe more than most, I'd love to hear From the Beginning in surround. Mr Lake could write a damn fine tune and I think that FTB would be my favourite closely followed by the Sage from PAEE

So, long time EL&P fans, what are you opinions of the stero mixes on these CD/DVDs compared to previous CD releases? A couple of EL&P fanatics I know seem to think that their previous CDs always sounded sub par. Any comments on this? Until now I have only ever had their releases on vinyl

I don't have any of the ELP CD releases, only original vinyl. Today I cranked the s/t CD in may cat stereo and was very happy with the sound quality. Very clean with great dynamics that didn't distort when I cranked up the volume.

So I guess I am wrong for saying that I think that these releases should/could have been better.

I think there is no pleasing the truly core fan, for any band or for any release. I'd call myself more of a casual ELP fan for whom these two releases have been a revelation - for the music yes, but also for the pinch-worthy fact that 5 years after the so-called death of surround-sound we are still getting occasssional releases like these. For the bands that I'd call myself a core fan, no release, no matter how grand or comprehensive, ever met full muster for me - there was always something that should have been included but wasn't, some technical choice that I'd not have made, etc. So, I get where you are coming from.

5 years after the so-called death of surround-sound we are still getting occasssional releases like these.
Then these must be Zombie releases. :mad:@:

After multiple listens I am really digging the high resolution 5.1 mix of their debut LP. This has me doing what I used to do in my youth which is to devour a new record by playing it over and over again. I have to thank Mr. Wilson and company for allowing me to rediscover an old favorite that has been neglected for a long time. I'm going to savor this a bit longer before obsessing over Tarkus.

Last edited:
FWIW I am a keen surround sound fan but haven't much of of the back catalogue that has been issued. I probably have about 40 titles being a mixture of SACD and DVD-A.

OTOH I am a great fan of ELP and their BSS DVD-A is one of my favourite titles. So I was really keen with ELP and Tarkus were announced and I put my order in Amazon UK. There's lots of peripheral talk about shipping times which are not so germane to the main thrust of this thread but I can report my titles came in about 6 days from Amazon UK and that was to NZ, so twice as far as to the US as most posters have reported.

Both came un shrink wrapped but unscathed by that lapse in packing.

As for the AQ that is of course quite personal but on a personal note I do prefer the BSS mix of Lucky Man versus this one but that is my view -not a fact! The rest of the albums are fabulous but it's disappointing that the master tapes for the Three Fates were not located. The opening organ in the first fate would be awesome in lossless audio 5.1.

I did notice some strange navigation issues though. On the DVD-A on my Oppo the audio defaults to the MLP track which is good but there is no way to choose the other tracks without firing up a monitor. For me that's my 100" 1080p projector which is a bit of a nuisance. It would be good if the audio could be chosen without doing that or perhaps that's an Oppo issue rather than a disk mastering feature.

There is an interview with Steven Wilson in the October issue of Sound & Vision in which he discusses his Tull and ELP mixes.

thanks for the link. nice but i don't got this sentence "There’s a snobbery toward 44.1-kHz/16-bit; nothing but 96/24 will do now."
what is snobbery about refusing to accept 44.1/16 after being introduced to 96/24? difference between two of those is absolutely
obvious and such stance pretty much have solid ground and well justified. that's what is evolution and progress. would someone will
go back to utilize horses after prolonged usage of cars?

thanks for the link. nice but i don't got this sentence "There’s a snobbery toward 44.1-kHz/16-bit; nothing but 96/24 will do now."
what is snobbery about refusing to accept 44.1/16 after being introduced to 96/24? difference between two of those is absolutely
obvious

Then...a proper double blind, level-matched demonstration should be a snap! An easy home run for the audio industry. And you'd think the industry would have done just that and trumpeted it.

But instead....[crickets chirping].

The plain fact is, the audible differences in playback, such as may exist, are not obvious or readily demonstrated, once the usual placebo/sighted bias/mastering differences/level differences are accounted for. Recording and producing at 24 bits or more, is of course justifiable.

So Steve Wilson is quite right. A lot of the objection to Redbook as a delivery format is just prejudice and snobbery, not backed up by fair listening practice.

Now, for *us*, the fact that Redbook is not typically used for surround, is a legit complaint.

I like it that he confirms what I heard...
that the ELP multis were recorded superbly..and it shows!
Crystal clear sound!

Eddie was VERY ready!

The plain fact is, the audible differences in playback, such as may exist, are not obvious or readily demonstrated, once the usual placebo/sighted bias/mastering differences/level differences are accounted for. Recording and producing at 24 bits or more, is of course justifiable.

i see your point. the problem with what you said - it's a shift into subjective field.
the different people has different hearing abilities, the different equipment for sound reproduction,
listening in different enviroment, etc.
we have technology and abilities to capture and deliver the sound in advanced best quality. that's objective.
some people can't appreciate this due to mentioned above reasons. so what? how much the part of the sound,
not approachable for them, does bother them, to justify denial of availability of HiRez on marketed storage medium?

I like it that he confirms what I heard...
that the ELP multis were recorded superbly..and it shows!
Crystal clear sound!

Eddie was VERY ready!

Yes, the sound is very clear but the surround treatment was not aggressive enough and some notable highlights were essentially buried in the mix.
SW also said "It’s not a sort of sonic makeover like Aqualung was." "I’m not going to make any great plans for saying the ELP albums have that kind of improvement, but it is kind of nice to have them."
I know SW said these were FLAT transfers but I take that statement as a description of the results.

Back