ELP Emerson Lake & Palmer Cataloge in 5.1 Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow- this truly is what the Internet was invented for: direct, nit-picky and uncalled for feedback to the very people who put the hard work into the tiny scraps of hi-res surround content that comes our way.

Can't think for a minute why we don't get more...

Clearly what the internet was invented for was so people could post their reports on whether their shipment is in transit, or about to arrive, and whether it came shrink wrapped, loosely wrapped, or unwrapped.

I don't know what we did before the internet.

Listened to the DVD-A of ELP's s/t last night. For the most I really enjoyed the hi-res 5.1 mix but agree with some folks that it was a bit strange hearing Keith's keyboards coming from the rears at times. But I respect this choice and will most likely get used to it over time. The clarity and separation were excellent. No problem with the sub/bass as I prefer the choice of DSD via my HDMI over the 6 analogues for DVD-A.

One of the things that bugged me a bit was the absence of the 1st 2 parts of The 3 Fates and especially Tank. I really miss this song from the album's presentation and it's just not ELP's s/t w/o it. While I understand why these were left off it still doesn't feel right and wish they were included anyway even if the multi-tracks weren't available (this happened with KC but the tracks were included just the same). Rave Up is a nice bonus track but the way it cuts off is jarring. All the other bonus tracks are appreciated.

The other thing that frustrated me a bit was the DVD authoring. I chose the high resolution surround option and listened to the (reconfigured) album in 5.1. When it ended I searched the menu for the Alt ELP new 2012 stereo mixes but couldn't find them. After a few frustrated moments I figured out that I needed to select the high resolution stereo option from the AUDIO menu in order for these to be displayed. Not the most user-friendly method to access these tracks but now that I've figured it out it will no longer be an issue.

I'll continue to listen to, and enjoy the DVD-A disc but when I want to listen to the real s/t I will simply chose CD 1. I don't want to come off as complaining (even though it appears that I am) because I really appreciate the labor of love that went into this production. Isn't this what this forum is for, respectful opinions? I would have paid the same $15 for just CD 1 (which would have been reasonable) and as a bonus we get 2 more discs, and one in high resolution DVD-A! So thank you Steven, Neil, Greg, and everyone else involved in these remasters. Looking forward to giving Tarkus a spin tonight.

I was wowed. Not the most aggressive mix I've ever heard, but a very good one nonetheless. Definitely their best album.

Lucky Man is now my demo song (for those that can sit still longer than the 2:45 How Is Your Life Today)!

Clearly what the internet was invented for was so people could post their reports on whether their shipment is in transit, or about to arrive, and whether it came shrink wrapped, loosely wrapped, or unwrapped.

I don't know what we did before the internet.

Both ELP and Tarkus came with the DVD-A disc falling out of the 3rd slot, and falling piggyback onto disc 2. I had wanted
to listen to the DVD-A first, anyway, so it was as if the disc was pre-loaded for easy access!

So who will take on the task of issuing other ELP releases? I'm fine with BSS 5.1, but looking forward to others...

Both ELP and Tarkus came with the DVD-A disc falling out of the 3rd slot, and falling piggyback onto disc 2. I had wanted
to listen to the DVD-A first, anyway, so it was as if the disc was pre-loaded for easy access!

So who will take on the task of issuing other ELP releases? I'm fine with BSS 5.1, but looking forward to others...
I am also looking forward to the next releases but want them to get the treatment they deserve

By the authority of TARKUS. Comeon! Everyone is making such a big deal out of this. I just feel the surround treatment could have been much better like Steven's other works. Perhaps it was a time constraint on studio time=more Sony money spent?
I know that these releases are selling better than "they" expected so maybe more time/money can be allotted to the next batch if there really will BE a next batch. Maybe, Neil, you will be able to add more to the menus. I know this DVD-Audio last minute decision handcuffed you.

You're getting to be rather unpopular here. I don't know if that is your intention, but I thought you should know.

You're getting to be rather unpopular here. I don't know if that is your intention, but I thought you should know.
Thank you for your comment. It is not my intention to turn people against me and I guess I should temper my comments to suit everyone else's opinion of me.
What else are forums for?

And I don't strive to be popular... I don't try to be...I say what I feel and maybe that is rubbing some the wrong way. So I guess I should say what pleases everyone else to be a popular person.
If its it wrong for me to say what I feel, if so, keep attacking me if it is what you enjoy. It's all very silly.

And I don't strive to be popular... I don't try to be...I say what I feel and maybe that is rubbing some the wrong way. So I guess I should say what pleases everyone else to be a popular person.
If its it wrong for me to say what I feel, if so, keep attacking me if it is what you enjoy. It's all very silly.

It's not about a difference in opinions, it's about arrogance and condescension.

By the authority of TARKUS.Perhaps it was a time constraint on studio time=more Sony money spent?
I know that these releases are selling better than "they" expected so maybe more time/money can be allotted to the next batch if there really will BE a next batch. Maybe, Neil, you will be able to add more to the menus. I know this DVD-Audio last minute decision handcuffed you.

Arrogance IS interpreted as a matter of opinion. I stand by what I say as does anyone else.

But this is not just your opinion, you're making gross assumptions. There's an arrogance in your "assumption" that this isn't as good a product as the creatives could have produced. Why wouldn't the surround mix be exactly as Steven wanted it to be? It was his interpretation and was completed last year. Greg Lake oversaw and approved the work done on this project and if it wasn't right there would have been more time to work on it. If needed the release date would have been pushed back just as it already has been due to the change in format (and we can thank Steven for that). Would time/money really make a difference in regards to the menu if this is exactly what Neil had intended?

The folks who are creatively in charge of this project have a love and passion for the material and aren't doing it for the financial pay off. They have integrity. If you don't like the 5.1 interpretation, remastering, mixing, or revised track listing those are opinions that should be respectfully shared on a forum like this. But the conjecture and assumptions in you posts are making you appear arrogant. If you are not happy with the product that you paid for you can always cut your losses and sell them on eBay and avoid all future releases by this creative team.

But this is not just your opinion, you're making gross assumptions. There's an arrogance in your "assumption" that this isn't as good a product as the creatives could have produced. Why wouldn't the surround mix be exactly as Steven wanted it to be? It was his interpretation and was completed last year. Greg Lake oversaw and approved the work done on this project and if it wasn't right there would have been more time to work on it. If needed the release date would have been pushed back just as it already has been due to the change in format (and we can thank Steven for that). Would time/money really make a difference in regards to the menu if this is exactly what Neil had intended?

The folks who are creatively in charge of this project have a love and passion for the material and aren't doing it for the financial pay off. They have integrity. If you don't like the 5.1 interpretation, remastering, mixing, or revised track listing those are opinions that should be respectfully shared on a forum like this. But the conjecture and assumptions in you posts are making you appear arrogant. If you are not happy with the product that you paid for you can always cut your losses and sell them on eBay and avoid all future releases by this creative team.
The releases could have and should have been better, that is all I am saying here.
I am not being arrogant or condescending. This is just my opinion. I should not express this?

But you're not expressing things as opinions- you're expressing them as absolute truths, you did it right there: "could have and should have been better".

I think that's why people think you're being presumptuous. Some of us don't think they could have and should have been better.

ELP fans should count themselves lucky! they've now got 2 albums in fantastic Deluxe Hi-Rez and 5.1 presentations, with another superb 5.1 remix of arguably their biggest album (available in two different incarnations, in two different Hi-Rez formats, no less) with a real possibility of more to come!

You could be, lets say, a Rod Stewart fan and have a couple of rather uninspired Deluxe 2-fers, with poor remastering jobs and dull extras and no 5.1 remix.. and worse still, just one poor 5.1 mix of his schlocky "standards" stuff, rather than something from his acknowledged classic rock/pop days.

Or you might be a fan of David Bowie and surround - and have to suffer the insult of mostly terrible, half-arsed incompetent 5.1 remixes of truly legendary/landmark albums. Ziggy Stardust and Station to Station have lacklustre and piss-poor surround mixes respectively - they deserved much, much better treatment.

Or a Peter Gabriel fan who loves surround too and witness a mega super box set, with no surround version of the album in it and one other album in SACD surround that's years and years out of print and is now beyond the reach of those fans without foreknowledge of its existence -- and deep pockets.

Or an Elton fan, waiting for 7 years for 5.1 mixes of at least 4 of his classic albums (all U.S. Number 1's) that are in the can ..but no-one will release them, in any format, let alone Hi-Rez surround ones.

Or a Steely Dan fan who'll never get a 5.1 version of arguably their biggest landmark album (Aja) because of missing tapes, plus they'll potentially never get to enjoy the other classic 70's albums of theirs which were rumoured to have been remixed into 5.1 years back.

Or a Rush fan.. poor surround.. Blah blah.. you get the picture.

Or, worse still, you could be a surround loving fan of any number of score upon score of popular music artists, who have never and doubtless will never, have one solitary single Deluxe edition with a 5.1 bonus remix - ever.

Or an Elton fan, waiting for 7 years for 5.1 mixes of at least 4 of his classic albums (all U.S. Number 1's) that are in the can ..but no-one will release them, in any format, let alone Hi-Rez surround ones.
What are these 4? Seems like all the ones I liked came out.

But you're not expressing things as opinions- you're expressing them as absolute truths, you did it right there: "could have and should have been better".

I think that's why people think you're being presumptuous. Some of us don't think they could have and should have been better.

So I guess I am wrong for saying that I think that these releases should/could have been better. Sorry. I will conform.

Back