Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MEN now available in UHD4K [steelbook edition] [Native UHD4K/HDR10/Dolby Vision/DTS~HD MA 5.1]

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Men-4K-Blu-ray/320652/#Review
814fT0WjyGL._SL1500_.jpg

Starlog mag published the address to write to ABC about their programming soon after Battlestar Galactica was canceled in 1979-04.

I wrote to ABC and asked them to bring back the show, which came back as Galactica 1980.

I hope it was my letter that tipped the balance and caused ABC to bring back the show. ;)

Kirk Bayne

Yes, 3D as a cinematic format is alive and well. But, as you note, no consumer 3D displays have been released in the last seven years. I can only assume the runs for 3D Blu-ray must be very small, given the tiny market for 3D home video.
Many projector brands still offer 3-D as an option. I just picked up a 4 LED / DLP 4k projector and it does 3-D beautifully ..zero ghosting with a bright vibrant image.

The Digital Bits had reported when the 3D Blu-ray of Avatar Way of Water was released there was a temporary shortage - the studio had underestimated how many would be sold and immediately ran out of stock. Much like the quadraphonic group, 3-D buffs seem to be a loyal harty bunch. 👍👍👍

Even at those prices, it’s another $150 that gets added to the “pile.”
GREAT prices, though. I still have oodles of unopened KL discs from their last sale! Watched KL's UHD4K remaster of Robert Aldrich's THE LONGEST YARD last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Hopefully, I'll watch Charles Laughton's haunting surreal KL UHD4K remaster of NIGHT OF THE HUNTER tonight!

Giant (1956) 4K:

1. Buyer beware on this one. I made it about a third of the way through before switching it off. Many scenes are DVD quality. That's right, DVD quality. Apparently, there's some technical reason that's been repeated around the forums but there were some scenes that had me questioning this. For example, there'll be a scene that's DVD quality, then a scene that's 4K, then back to what looks like exactly the same camera position of the DVD quality scene (which would suggest it's just an edit than a complete new set up with new camera/stock/lens) but this time it's 4K quality. Definitely something else going on. Anyway, I found it all way too distracting and did the rare switch-off.

2. Audio is DTS-MA dual mono. Still doesn't make James Dean's method-mumbling any more discernable.

3. Not worth the purchase I reckon unless it's one of your absolute favourites. The low quality image scenes are the worst I've seen on a 4K release. Way worse than The Big Lebowski which is at least watchable.

Giant (1956) 4K:

1. Buyer beware on this one. I made it about a third of the way through before switching it off. Many scenes are DVD quality. That's right, DVD quality. Apparently, there's some technical reason that's been repeated around the forums but there were some scenes that had me questioning this. For example, there'll be a scene that's DVD quality, then a scene that's 4K, then back to what looks like exactly the same camera position of the DVD quality scene (which would suggest it's just an edit than a complete new set up with new camera/stock/lens) but this time it's 4K quality. Definitely something else going on. Anyway, I found it all way too distracting and did the rare switch-off.

2. Audio is DTS-MA dual mono. Still doesn't make James Dean's method-mumbling any more discernable.

3. Not worth the purchase I reckon unless it's one of your absolute favourites. The low quality image scenes are the worst I've seen on a 4K release. Way worse than The Big Lebowski which is at least watchable.
Pete,

this is where we differ. I do have the BD~V of Giant and in my honest opinion and on my well calibrated LG OLED monitor [and utilizing the OPPO 205] the Warner Native UHD4K remaster is heads and heels better than their previous BD~V.

Unfortunately, GIANT was filmed on Warner's proprietary WARNERCOLOR film stock which has been problematic over the years in terms of stability but I really truly believe Warner has done the best they could do with the original camera negative.

As for the film itself .... I still consider it a classic and Liz and Jimmy are brilliant...as is the rest of the cast. And even ROCK is SOLID!

Pete,

this is where we differ. I do have the BD~V of Giant and in my honest opinion and on my well calibrated LG OLED monitor [and utilizing the OPPO 205] the Warner Native UHD4K remaster is heads and heels better than their previous BD~V.

Unfortunately, GIANT was filmed on Warner's proprietary WARNERCOLOR film stock which has been problematic over the years in terms of stability but I really truly believe Warner has done the best they could do with the original camera negative.

As for the film itself .... I still consider it a classic and Liz and Jimmy are brilliant...as is the rest of the cast. And even ROCK is SOLID!
Yes great performances throughout and Liz in 4K - wow! Sure wish they'd put a note on the artwork about the image quality though - at least I would have been aware of it before the purchase. I tried on my Sony 4K player and the ripped MKV on the Zidoo Z9X but there's just no polishing the low res scenes. Bet there's some digital trickery they could have done to sharpen them up prior to release though but that would have taken time and cost money! Oh well. Guess I'll have to research things more thoroughly prior to purchase in future!

Yes great performances throughout and Liz in 4K - wow! Sure wish they'd put a note on the artwork about the image quality though - at least I would have been aware of it before the purchase. I tried on my Sony 4K player and the ripped MKV on the Zidoo Z9X but there's just no polishing the low res scenes. Bet there's some digital trickery they could have done to sharpen them up prior to release though but that would have taken time and cost money! Oh well. Guess I'll have to research things more thoroughly prior to purchase in future!
Pete, for a better understanding of the obstacles facing Warner in GIANT'S 4K restoration, read on:

https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/105387/giant4kultrahdbluray.html

I rewatched John Frankenheimer's "Grand Prix" recently, haven't watched it in years. What a great movie!

GrandPrix_op.jpg

Especially the excellent camera footage of the old race tracks from the 60's. I used to be into racing simulators and did many virtual laps on those old circuits! I recognized all the corners & scenery.

But I also appreciated the story: so many drivers have died in racing over the years, and it took years for anyone to acknowledge the safety precautions that we take for granted nowadays.

And RIP James Garner

What’s wrong with the 4K transfer of The Big Lebowski? I think it’s a pretty good step up from the original Blu-ray with good HDR.
I reckon it looks like an early BD transfer. I agree it's the best release the movie's ever had but it's miles from every other 4K I have. Hopefully, it gets a new scan one day.

Typical bare minimum release from whoever owns it. Same old practice from the early days of DVD, then BD and because laziness pays, 4K. Big sigh...

Back