Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also today, Toho Studios will be releasing their first batch of classic Godzilla films in 4K Ultra HD in Japan in the 4th quarter of this year, starting with Godzilla (1954) and Mothra vs. Godzilla (1964) on 10/25, Ghidorah: The Three Headed Monster (1964), Invasion of Astro-Monster (1965), and Destroy All Monsters (1968) on 11/22, and finally Godzilla vs. Hedorah (1971) and Godzilla vs. Biollante (1989) on 12/20. Like Toho’s recent Akira Kurosawa 4Ks, none of these will have English subtitles. Nevertheless, these releases would seem to make it more likely that US and European distributors will take up the challenge and release their own 4K versions in the not-too-distant future. Here’s a peek at the first two titles (with Amazon.co.jp pre-order links)...

Godzilla (1954) (Toho Japanese 4K Ultra HD) Mothra vs. Godzilla (1964) (Toho Japanese 4K Ultra HD)

Last edited:
Why yes, I do love some Kaiju.
Damn, I'll have to buy Godzilla yet again .. VHS, DVD, BR, Criterion and now 4kUHD ... once we get sub'ed versions.

Still waiting on that Seven Samurai ....

Grew up with Godzilla vs Mothra and King Kong vs Godzilla on VHS. I’m shocked the latter even got a blu-ray release. I have the DVD and it looks pretty decent. Fun to pull out every once in a while and just be entertained, especially with the English dub!

From Kino Lorber and director John Frankenheimer RONIN [Native UHD4K/HDR10/Dolby Vision/DTS~HD MA 5.1]

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Ronin-4K-Blu-ray/316415/#Review
81OnB4fzkzL._SL1500_.jpg
That last car chase is one of the most exciting I've seen in a movie.

Why yes, I do love some Kaiju.
Damn, I'll have to buy Godzilla yet again .. VHS, DVD, BR, Criterion and now 4kUHD ... once we get sub'ed versions.

Still waiting on that Seven Samurai ....
Grew up with Godzilla vs Mothra and King Kong vs Godzilla on VHS. I’m shocked the latter even got a blu-ray release. I have the DVD and it looks pretty decent. Fun to pull out every once in a while and just be entertained, especially with the English dub!
LEST WE FORGET The LOVE THEME FROM MOTHRA

I have to admit, it was gross and pretty much the best interpretation of the source material to date.
I just don't know if I would watch it again when what we all want is a well done Mountains Of Madness

well done cover for Rosemary's baby
You really think so? I think it’s horrid personally. Though not as horrid as the just announced US slipcover edition of The Exorcist 4K. Like what the hell is going on in the WB art department???

1690401290700.jpeg

And this is what the UK is getting, along with Blu-ray copies of each cut:

1690401345489.jpeg

You really think so? I think it’s horrid personally. Though not as horrid as the just announced US slipcover edition of The Exorcist 4K. Like what the hell is going on in the WB art department???

View attachment 94305

And this is what the UK is getting, along with Blu-ray copies of each cut:

View attachment 94306
Agree ... hate the U.S. cover art but beware, If you elect to purchase THE EXORCIST from the UK, in ALL probability, the Blu Ray discs will be REGION B LOCKED [the 4K will NOT]

And I do like the Paramount cover art for Rosemary's Baby ..... at least it does show some creativity! And more importantly, it's what's inside THAT COUNTS!

Last edited:
Agree ... hate the U.S. cover art but beware, If you elect to purchase THE EXOROCIST from the UK, in ALL probability, the Blu Ray discs will be REGION B LOCKED [the 4K will NOT]

And I do like the Paramount cover art for Rosemary's Baby ..... at least it does show some creativity! And more importantly, it's what's inside THAT COUNTS!
Yes I thought of that too and would make the extra cost of importing null and void. Only reason would be cover art but like you said, it’s the transfer that really counts.

I’m excited because I remember seeing that “Version You’ve Never Seen” cut long ago and not liking it all that much. I have yet to see the theatrical cut that shocked audiences in 1973. Warner had the good sense to include the original award winning mono soundtrack which has been unheard since a Japanese Laserdisc release. Hopefully they restore the original Saul Bass WB logo along with the original color timing which apparently was incorrect on previous digital releases.

Yes I thought of that too and would make the extra cost of importing null and void. Only reason would be cover art but like you said, it’s the transfer that really counts.

I’m excited because I remember seeing that “Version You’ve Never Seen” cut long ago and not liking it all that much. I have yet to see the theatrical cut that shocked audiences in 1973. Warner had the good sense to include the original award winning mono soundtrack which has been unheard since a Japanese Laserdisc release. Hopefully they restore the original Saul Bass WB logo along with the original color timing which apparently was incorrect on previous digital releases.
Not to worry on two counts: The US version of the Exorcist will also contain both cuts ...the extended on BD~V and if you're patient and REALLY hate that cover [I do as well] wait for a Best Buy Steelbook Edition which I'm sure will be more to your [and MY] liking!

Problem SOLVED!

Not to worry on two counts: The US version of the Exorcist will also contain both cuts ...the extended on BD~V and if you're patient and REALLY hate that cover [I do as well] wait for a Best Buy Steelbook Edition which I'm sure will be more to your [and MY] liking!

Problem SOLVED!
Unless something changed both cuts will be getting their own UHD disc with Atmos (Atmos + Lossless Mono for theatrical cut). I agree that the Steelbook art is a step in the right direction, but I myself don’t like steelbooks as they scratch and dent easily. I only have about 3 in my entire collection. Even though I don’t like it I’ll learn to live with the standard slipcover!

Unless something changed both cuts will be getting their own UHD disc with Atmos (Atmos + Lossless Mono for theatrical cut). I agree that the Steelbook art is a step in the right direction, but I myself don’t like steelbooks as they scratch and dent easily. I only have about 3 in my entire collection. Even though I don’t like it I’ll learn to live with the standard slipcover!
What if I told you the Best Buy steelbook edition of The Exorcist comes with a can of split PEA soup? 🥫

Back