Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From FINLAND SISU [Native UHD4K/HDR10/Dolby Vision/Dolby True HD 5.1]

https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/117709/sisu4kultrahdbluray.html
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Sisu-4K-Blu-ray/333344/#Review
81QDtNK4EIL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, 3D as a cinematic format is alive and well. But, as you note, no consumer 3D displays have been released in the last seven years. I can only assume the runs for 3D Blu-ray must be very small, given the tiny market for 3D home video.
Still hanging on desperately to my beloved 3D serup, and buying movies like they’re going out of print. Got Avatar II last week, but it’s on the pile, and not the top.

1689714601242.jpeg

Over the weekend I checked out the Native 4K restoration of Scarface ‘83 and thought it looked spectacular. Nicely detailed and grain left untouched, just how I like it. Never owned the blu-ray and was coming from the non-anamorphic DVD from around 1999 so quite the upgrade. Acquired it from the Prime Day sales for 18.99 CAD. Even came with a slip to my delight. DTS:X downmixed to 5.1 sounded full bodied and depth was wonderful. The DTS (original?) mono sounded tinny in comparison.

Movie still holds up as one of Brian De Palma’s finest and of course a tour de force performance from Al Pacino. Lovely cinematography from John A. Alonzo who also shot Chinatown.

View attachment 93953

Over the weekend I checked out the Native 4K restoration of Scarface ‘83 and thought it looked spectacular. Nicely detailed and grain left untouched, just how I like it. Never owned the blu-ray and was coming from the non-anamorphic DVD from around 1999 so quite the upgrade. Acquired it from the Prime Day sales for 18.99 CAD. Even came with a slip to my delight. DTS:X downmixed to 5.1 sounded full bodied and depth was wonderful. The DTS (original?) mono sounded tinny in comparison.

Movie still holds up as one of Brian De Palma’s finest and of course a tour de force performance from Al Pacino. Lovely cinematography from John A. Alonzo who also shot Chinatown.
With Scarface, first you get the non-anamorphic DVD, then you miss the Blu-ray, then you get the 4K.

And look what showed up today from Amazon:

Jean~Luc Godard's Breathless [Criterion]
Martin Scorsese's HUGO from Arrow Video [4K, 3D and 2D BD~V] and
Training Day from Warner Home Video

Now, to find the time .............

Last edited:
LOL, I too have a 3D TV and it replaced my last 3D plasma TV that had the hdmi circuit board scorched by Lightning. As with everything in life it was cheaper to replace than fix
Luckily my internet TV box has 65 3D movies with more added slowly.
But as you can see 9400 channels, there is always something on

Attachments

• 20230719_104008.jpg
    20230719_104008.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
LOL, I too have a 3D TV and it replaced my last 3D plasma TV that had the hdmi circuit board scorched by Lightning. As with everything in life it was cheaper to replace than fix
Luckily my internet TV box has 65 3D movies with more added slowly.
But as you can see 9400 channels, there is always something on
Do you have an LG OLED 3D TV, Bruce? I had a 65" 3D Panasonic Plasma Flatscreen and the 3D image was dreadful. Way too dark ..... the OLED is night and day with an almost 4K image.

BTW, what internet service provides you with 65 3D movies to choose from? Pretty impressive!

I watched Sisu last night. I think the decisions were along the lines of 'the less he speaks the higher our blood budget'.

It was rather ridiculous and bloody, so I enjoyed it.
I won't mention my favorite parts to leave their surprise/wow factor intact.

Do you have an LG OLED 3D TV, Bruce? I had a 65" 3D Panasonic Plasma Flatscreen and the 3D image was dreadful. Way too dark ..... the OLED is night and day with an almost 4K image.

BTW, what internet service provides you with 65 3D movies to choose from? Pretty impressive

I have my old 60" Panasonic Plasma sitting in the back room, as I found out, I could use RCA cables to bypass the burnt out HDMI, after I bought my new set. And yes its a 65" LG set and it has a great picture, I thought my Plasma had a good pic, but I agree with you, the LG is better.

I get a cable modem from my local cable provider, then use a box I bought elsewhere. Thats really all I want to say about it, other than I pay $11.00 per month service payable every 6 months. The box gets every signal in the atmosphere of earth and brings it to my TV. Every channel from every country......

I would watch 90 minutes of Margot Robbie silently reading a book and occasionally sipping on a Sprite.
I thought she was magnificent in Babylon even though the critics panned the movie itself! But Ryan Gosling as KEN??????? Gimme a BREAK!

Isn't KEN supposed to be a EUNUCH?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back