Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coming August 1st from Warner Home Video and director Elia Kazan John Steinbeck's EAST OF EDEN [Native UHD4K/HDR10/Dolby ATMOS]

https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/118005/eastofeden4kultrahdbluray.html
512RowR7G9L.jpg

Of course the 4K UHD transfer is horrible, but if the included Blu-ray is the Fox 4K remaster it may be worthwhile. I myself cannot take advantage of this deal but thought I would post for my American friends on here:

View attachment 93924
I'm glad YOU said it. A dreadful NOT READY FOR PRIMETIME Native UHD4K transfer.

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING???????

IMO, the Native UHD4K of Disney/Fox's THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK was equally as dreadful as HEAT! SACRILEGE!!!!!!!! I returned my copy to AmazonUS for a complete refund! Should've done the same for HEAT!

Of course the 4K UHD transfer is horrible, but if the included Blu-ray is the Fox 4K remaster it may be worthwhile. I myself cannot take advantage of this deal but thought I would post for my American friends on here:

View attachment 93924
The resulting MKV is only ~50 giggle bites too. Quite an achievement given that it's a native 4K presentation of a 2 hour 45 minute movie. Amazing how much space can be saved when Michael removes about 50% of the colour. They shoulda titled this release "Heat: Smog Edition"!

Somehow, I've never seen Heat until recently. I thought the 4K UHD looked great but I've got nothing to compare it to. I remember reading some user reviews that it was too dark but I only noticed a couple of very brief scenes where I thought it was borderline too dark. The only one I recall now is driving scene at night. There's also a color issue?

I usually check reviews on the main review sites before buying 4K discs since they can be iffy but don't recall seeing any reviewers complaining. It seems like they're blowing it out now so maybe a fixed version is on the way?

Great movie, either way! Can't believe I missed that one all these years!

Somehow, I've never seen Heat until recently. I thought the 4K UHD looked great but I've got nothing to compare it to. I remember reading some user reviews that it was too dark but I only noticed a couple of very brief scenes where I thought it was borderline too dark. The only one I recall now is driving scene at night. There's also a color issue?

I usually check reviews on the main review sites before buying 4K discs since they can be iffy but don't recall seeing any reviewers complaining. It seems like they're blowing it out now so maybe a fixed version is on the way?

Great movie, either way! Can't believe I missed that one all these years!
Heat rules! A gem if ever there was one.

There was a ton of whining about it on blu-ray.com but that crowd will whine about anything. In this case, they're right though. If you flick between the 4K and the previous BD (taken from what I'm assuming is the same 4K scan), the colour differences are night and day. Michael Mann apparently rejigged the colours and the 4K just looks washed out and dull compared to how it's looked since 1995. I doubt there'll be another release soon either seeing as how this got the official Michael Mann stamp of approval. Heat always seems to be "let go" for really cheap. If you're interested in checking out the best BD release, this is the one: https://www.amazon.com/Heat-Remaste...d=1689629856&sprefix=heat+blu+,aps,423&sr=8-9

They are STILL offering 3D content?
Believe it or NOT, AFFIRMATIVE Clinty! It's still relatively active in Europe and Japan and with James Cameron's Avatar: The Way of Water in absolutely stunning 3D and movies still being released to theaters in the format...it has somehow survived.

Now, if only the Flatscreen Hardware manufacturers would again start producing 3D capable monitors [they haven't since 2016], I think it would have a second life since with the advent of OLED ..... the 3D image is superior to all previous models including Plasma!

Believe it or NOT, AFFIRMATIVE Clinty! It's still relatively active in Europe and Japan and with James Cameron's Avatar: The Way of Water in absolutely stunning 3D and movies still being released to theaters in the format...it has somehow survived.

Now, if only the Flatscreen Hardware manufacturers would again start producing 3D capable monitors [they haven't since 2016], I think it would have a second life since with the advent of OLED ..... the 3D image is superior to all previous models including Plasma!
Yes, 3D as a cinematic format is alive and well. But, as you note, no consumer 3D displays have been released in the last seven years. I can only assume the runs for 3D Blu-ray must be very small, given the tiny market for 3D home video.

Heat rules! A gem if ever there was one.

There was a ton of whining about it on blu-ray.com but that crowd will whine about anything. In this case, they're right though. If you flick between the 4K and the previous BD (taken from what I'm assuming is the same 4K scan), the colour differences are night and day. Michael Mann apparently rejigged the colours and the 4K just looks washed out and dull compared to how it's looked since 1995. I doubt there'll be another release soon either seeing as how this got the official Michael Mann stamp of approval. Heat always seems to be "let go" for really cheap. If you're interested in checking out the best BD release, this is the one: https://www.amazon.com/Heat-Remastered-Blu-ray-Al-Pacino/dp/B01N0Q18P0/ref=sr_1_9?crid=1KPDGF58RUVUF&keywords=heat+blu+ray&qid=1689629856&sprefix=heat+blu+,aps,423&sr=8-9
Ah, good to know! I might have to pick up that blu-ray but perhaps ignorance is bliss!

Another one that I recently watched but had never heard of was Never Let Me Go. I grabbed it from Hamilton Books since it was cheap with a relatively high rating on IMDB.

I try to avoid reading summaries in those cases so I went it totally blind but had already made assumptions based on the cover. Boy, was I wrong! Nothing impressive surround-wise but pretty cool film with a unique story and not at all what I was expecting. Only about $4 for the blu-ray on Amazon at the moment.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Never-Let-Me-Go-Blu-ray/18403/#Review

Back