Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From Paramount Home Video and director John Hughes FERRIS BUELLER'S DAY OFF [Native UHD4K/HDR10/Dolby Vision/Dolby ATMOS]

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Ferris-Buellers-Day-Off-4K-Blu-ray/339414/#Review
Hope to watch my steelbook copy tonight!
It’s a gorgeous looking disc! It’s just such a natural filmic image. Nothing particularly revelatory but everything done right in terms of grain and HDR grading. Never owned the Blu-ray but have seen the film many times growing up. Absolutely the best it has looked for home consumption.

It’s a gorgeous looking disc! It’s just such a natural filmic image. Nothing particularly revelatory but everything done right in terms of grain and HDR grading. Never owned the Blu-ray but have seen the film many times growing up. Absolutely the best it has looked for home consumption.
I did watch my 4K copy last night and concur it's absolutely SUPERB on EVERY LEVEL. Written in just 6 days, I consider Ferris to be John Hughes masterpiece. Finally, cinematographer Tak Fujimoto's glorious images of the Windy City come alive like never before.

Having owned Ferris on Laserdisc, VHS, DVD and blu ray ....... Paramount's Native UHD 4K image is a stunner and the Dolby ATMOS track [I watched it in 5.1] is equally dynamic. When Ferris belts out TWIST AND SHOUT while riding on the parade float, turn up the volume ...... you'll be dancing in your video space.

A MUST OWN!

Dersu Uzala (1975) BD:

1. I got this one without the pointless cardboard slipcover: Dersu Uzala (1975) - Imprint Collection #158 | Via Vision Entertainment

2. Surprising constantly discrete 5.1 mix. Forest noises, birds, weather, action off-camera, really good to hear. There were some weird audio dropouts though where the surround action stops for a few seconds and the audio is only coming from the front. I thought it might be a stylistic choice to emphasise what's happening in the movie but I reckon it's a mistake. Not a show-stopper though and doesn't distract from the movie.

3. Image is just OK. Apparently the film stock was some el cheapo Russian knock-off but they definitely could have done a bit more image stabilisation. Again, not a shop-stopper but it could have been better had a more thorough restoration been done.

4. Worth a look if you can pick it up cheap. Great performances and a nice true story.

NOW streaming on NETFLIX the frustrating but gorgeous THE TREE OF BLOOD directed by Julio Medem [Sex and Lucia]. The cinematography filmed in the Basque country of Northern Spain is ravishing, the plot convoluted but if you can endure the 138 minute running time, I believe you will be rewarded with a somewhat unique experience in modern cinema. Lovely immersive sound design as well.

Last edited:
From thedigitalbits website:

Our friends at Curzon in the UK have announced a 14-disc/7-film Lars von Trier: A Curzon Collection Blu-ray box set for release on 9/25, that includes the films Element of Crime, Epidemic, Europa, Breaking the Waves, The Idiots, Dogville, The Five Obstructions, Manderlay, The Boss of it All, Antichrist, Melancholia, Nymphomaniac: The Director’s Cut – Volumes I & II, and The House that Jack Built, many of them newly restored. The set will also include over 14 hours of special features, 3 collectible posters, 1 wide poster of the cover illustration by Daniele Castellano, and a 68-page booklet including new essays by Slavoj Zizek, Catherine Wheatley, Steven Ryder and more. You can see it below (and pre-order it on Amazon UK by clicking on the cover art)...
Lars von Trier: A Curzon Collection (UK Blu-ray Box Set)

At a certain age, I should think one outgrows their childhood obsession with all things DISNEY .... as in their animated glories of yesterday but last night I bit the bullet and watched in AWE as Disney's new HDR10/Dolby Vision Native UHD4K restoration of CINDERELLA graced my video screen. At a brisk 74 minutes in length, Walt's NINE OLD MEN as he referred to his brilliant animation department delivered a heartfelt rendering of the age old tale in spectacular fashion. This 1:37:1 4K UPGRADE is a visual feast to behold with a sturdy repurposed DTS~HD MA 5.1 soundtrack [no original MONO is included].

EXTREMELY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED and forget your age ...... Cinderella as envisioned by Walt and his NINE OLD MEN continues to delight to this day.

https://thedigitalbits.com/item/cinderella-1950-disney-2023-uhd
R.5c2f450db255d5701f7337d9565494e0

And JAQ and GUS Agree!

Last edited:
At a certain age, I should think one outgrows their childhood obsession with all things DISNEY .... as in their animated glories of yesterday but last night I bit the bullet and watched in AWE as Disney's new HDR10/Dolby Vision Native UHD4K restoration of CINDERELLA graced my video screen. At a brisk 74 minutes in length, Walt's NINE OLD MEN as he referred to his brilliant animation department delivered a heartfelt rendering of the age old tale in spectacular fashion. This 1:37:1 4K UPGRADE is a visual feast to behold with a sturdy repurposed DTS~HD MA 5.1 soundtrack [no original MONO is included].

EXTREMELY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED and forget your age ...... Cinderella as envisioned by Walt and his NINE OLD MEN continues to delight to this day.

And JAQ and GUS Agree!
Heard it’s a wonderful upgrade just a little confusing that Disney dropped the mono track and the repurposed the 7.1 audio from the 2012 blu-ray???

Last night I also revisited Brian De Palma's controversial 1980 production DRESSED TO KILL via Kino Lorber's recent Native UHD4K remaster [with a separate BD~V of Special Features]. One forgets how racy a production De Palma concocted and this release is UNRATED!

A visual feast for the eyes and watching the separate BD~V with hours of special features makes one appreciate the visual style and execution even more!

DtK has been called a Hitchcock rip off but I disagree! It's more of a hommage to Hitchcock's unique style and Pino Donaggios musical scoring is superb.

IMO, KL has done a remarkable 4K restoration and it comes very highly recommended.

robert franco, wandering ronin on Twitter: still one of the all time ...

And JAQ and GUS Agree!
I bought several classic Disney animated titles on LaserDisc back in the day, and I’m gradually replacing my LD movies with BDs. Snow White, Cinderella, Bambi, Dumbo (if you can find it), Fantasia (still only DVD, alas), and a few more.

Last night I also revisited Brian De Palma's controversial 1980 production DRESSED TO KILL via Kino Lorber's recent Native UHD4K remaster [with a separate BD~V of Special Features]. One forgets how racy a production De Palma concocted and this release is UNRATED!

A visual feast for the eyes and watching the separate BD~V with hours of special features makes one appreciate the visual style and execution even more!

DtK has been called a Hitchcock rip off but I disagree! It's more of a hommage to Hitchcock's unique style and Pino Donaggios musical scoring is superb.

IMO, KL has done a remarkable 4K restoration and it comes very highly recommended.

robert franco, wandering ronin on Twitter: still one of the all time ...
De Palma rules! One of the long-take masters.

Back