Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, for some reason it seems that 4K HDR films have really jumped in price compared to how reasonable they used to be. $40.00+ unless they are on sale. Older films are usually cheaper. Full price Criterion films are usually up there. Regular price for "Hugo" is $50.00

Yes, for some reason it seems that 4K HDR films have really jumped in price compared to how reasonable they used to be. $40.00+ unless they are on sale. Older films are usually cheaper. Full price Criterion films are usually up there. Regular price for "Hugo" is $50.00
Rule of thumb ....wait until they go on sale. I was able to purchase the UHD4K disc of HUGO [which also includes the spectacular 3D version} for $35 [and it actually dropped even LOWER], only buy Kino Lorber UHD4K discs when they go on sale [usually $15~$18] and of course Criterion 4K titles [usually $50 list] when Barnes and Noble and Amazon blow them out for 1/2 price!

My mantra is always: NEVER PAY RETAIL!

Now available from Shout Factory [via Warner Brothers] and director George A. Romero CREEPSHOW [Native UHD4K from OCN/HDR10/Dolby Vision/Dolby ATMOS] COLLECTOR'S EDITION

http://thedigitalbits.com/item/creepshow-scream-2023-uhd
81su52Fww7L._SL1500_.jpg

FINALLY watched Warner Home Video's absolutely EXQUISITE Native UHD4K remaster of Nic Ray's REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE and it is indeed a cause for celebration.

In all my years of owning this classic on multiple formats, it was really like watching it for the first time! 4K picture and repurposed ATMOS soundtrack make this a no~brainer purchase.

VERY HIGHEST RECOMMENDATION!

R.19bfccfa9137a9765a800f7b7455309f

Also watched director Martin Scorsese's AFTER HOURS last night via Criterion's STUNNING Native UHD 4K remaster. Although considered 'lesser Scorsese' it never fails to amuse! Great performances from ALL and even the monaural DTS~HD MA soundtrack sounds fresh and lively. All in all RECOMMENDED to fans

From Samuel Goldwyn Films and director Agnieszka Holland MR. JONES [1080p/DTS~HD MA 5.1] Also streaming via Amazon Prime's FREEVEE [with limited ads] in near 4K quality with an incredibly immersive DD 5.1 soundtrack!

With the current atrocities in UKRAINE front and center, how many of you were aware of similar atrocities perpetrated by Joseph Stalin during his 1933 5 year plan to build Russian into an industrial complex during a world wide depression? Welsh Journalist Gareth Jones who was in the employ of England's liberal party leader Lloyd George decided to take it upon himself to venture to Moscow in the hopes of interviewing Stalin himself. He had recently conducted an interview with Adolf Hitler and warned Lloyd George of imminent War with Germany which would eventually spill over into Russia and Poland as well as the UK. No One took Jones seriously.

While in Russia and through his connections he decided to venture to Ukraine where he encountered first hand the starvation, cannibalism and mass genocide of over 10 Million Ukrainian citizens. All the money and grain from the region was being diverted to Moscow to fund Stalin's industrial expansion. This was later termed the Holodomor and director Holland brilliantly captures all the suffering and brutalizing of a people under the ruthless thumb of a very corrupt regime.

Actor James Norton [BBC's GRANTCHESTER] brilliantly embraces the role of Gareth Jones as he crosses paths with George Orwell [who based his 1945 classic ANIMAL FARM on the Holodomor], Lloyd George and William Randolph Hearst who finally paid creedence to Jones' dire predictions when all other world wide publications in order to placate Russia falsely claimed those atrocities never happened.

A searing motion picture and very topical in 2023! HIGHEST RECOMMENDATION

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Mr-Jones-Blu-ray/313580/

Last edited:
I was lucky to get “Hugo” in 3D for $5 at an antique store.

Much has been written about the LACK of 3Dness in I, ROBOT but watching it last night via my OPPO 205 directly input into my LG OLED 3D TV, I thought it looked EXQUISITE. And the DTS~HD MA 5.1 soundtrack was equally immersive and supportive of the on screen action. I had previously watched it on my older Panasonic Plasma 3D TV and IMO, no contest versus LG's OLED amazing 3D technology. Actually Night and Day

I Robot 3D (Includes 2D Blu-Ray and DVD) Blu-ray | Zavvi.com

Thanks 4ears. I originally passed up the 3D version because I had read it was a post production conversion when I was looking for filmed in 3D flicks.....I must have read a bad review. However as posted in another thread I do like this movie.

Thanks 4ears. I originally passed up the 3D version because I had read it was a post production conversion when I was looking for filmed in 3D flicks.....I must have read a bad review. However as posted in another thread I do like this movie.
Don't expect any pop out effects, Jeffie....but the film is dimensional from the first frame to the last. And no ghosting artifacts.

AmazonUS has some VERY GOOD used copies from $6.00 + s/h.

From digitalbits website:

Kino Lorber Studio Classics has announced some forthcoming new Blu-ray and 4K titles in the last several days, including John Herzfeld’s 2 Days in the Valley (1996) on Blu-ray on 11/14, Miloš Forman’s Valmont (1989), John Boorman’s The Emerald Forest (1985), Elia Kazan’s The Last Tycoon (1976), and Edward Dmytryk’s The Carpetbaggers (1964) all on Blu-ray on 11/28, and Robert Wise’s Odds Against Tomorrow (1959) on 12/5. They’ve also revealed that Denny Harris’ Silent Scream (1979) is coming soon to 4K Ultra HD.

From digitalbits website:

Kino Lorber Studio Classics has announced some forthcoming new Blu-ray and 4K titles in the last several days, including John Herzfeld’s 2 Days in the Valley (1996) on Blu-ray on 11/14, Miloš Forman’s Valmont (1989), John Boorman’s The Emerald Forest (1985), Elia Kazan’s The Last Tycoon (1976), and Edward Dmytryk’s The Carpetbaggers (1964) all on Blu-ray on 11/28, and Robert Wise’s Odds Against Tomorrow (1959) on 12/5. They’ve also revealed that Denny Harris’ Silent Scream (1979) is coming soon to 4K Ultra HD.
Silent Scream's a goodie. Got the BD I does. Doubt I'll upgrade to the 4K unless I can get it real cheap though.

Back