Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was originally going to be spending 100 but I told myself I need to start limiting my blind buys as my collection is getting bigger and bigger. Had 3 Days of the Condor and To Live and Die in LA in my cart but I ended up just going with Misery and Tropic Thunder 4K’s.

Coming October 6th from 20th Century Fox/Disney PREY [Native UHD4K/HDR10/Dolby ATMOS]

https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/121127/prey4kuhd.html
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Prey-4K-Blu-ray/343944/#Review
81iLHAGLL9L._SL1385_.jpg
I forgot about this but remember the trailer looked good. Ain't heard squat about it since its release, no whining or praise, so might do the blind buy.

I forgot about this but remember the trailer looked good. Ain't heard squat about it since its release, no whining or praise, so might do the blind buy.
I saw the original Predator in the theater but haven't seen it since and I haven't seen any of the follow ups so I'm not a huge fan or anything. I heard the premise to Prey though and thought it sounded promising so I gave it a chance and really enjoyed it. I thought it was a solid film and don't get why it went straight to streaming. I'll definitely pick this one up and will have to look into the others in the series.

I saw the original Predator in the theater but haven't seen it since and I haven't seen any of the follow ups so I'm not a huge fan or anything. I heard the premise to Prey though and thought it sounded promising so I gave it a chance and really enjoyed it. I thought it was a solid film and don't get why it went straight to streaming. I'll definitely pick this one up and will have to look into the others in the series.
If you have a 3D capable player and flatscreen monitor, I thought the original PREDATOR [with Arnold] in a post conversion 3D BD~V was SPECTACULAR, most especially via my LG OLED 3D TV!

If you have a 3D capable player and flatscreen monitor, I thought the original PREDATOR [with Arnold] in a post conversion 3D BD~V was SPECTACULAR, most especially via my LG OLED 3D TV!
I wish I still had a 3D capable TV! One of my favorites was Tron: Legacy in 3D and that was on a lowly Panasonic 1080p plasma. I've never seen 3D on an OLED but you've commented many times that it's heads and tails better. Too bad they abandoned it after so many people were set up for it.

I did grab the original Predator on 4K during one of the sales so I'll revisit it soon!

Yesterday I watched both of these on my recently upgraded 7.1.2 Atmos home theater system and was blown away. The film is not in Atmos but very impressive. I've watched Hairspray a million times and hearing it again it was like watching it for the first time. The same could be said for this version of Dazed and Confused. Very impressive soundtrack. All those seventies hit songs in multichannel. (at least it sounded like true multichannel).
Screenshot 2023-09-25 at 10.15.00 AM.png

AmazonUS is now selling Michael Cimino's epic THE DEER HUNTER from Shout Factory for $17.99 ... almost 50% off. [Native UHD4K from OCN/HDR10/Dolby Vision/DTS~HD MA 5.1] HIGHEST RECOMMENDATION

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Deer-Hunter-4K-Blu-ray/263121/#Review
Thanks for the reminder. It's just turned Spring officially here in NZ and The Deer Hunter is a favourite Spring/Summer evening watch.

Hope the 4K/HDR gets another look one day (probably won't for ages though). It's all a bit dark. Time for someone to take another look at the audio too. Wonders could be done with it I'm sure.

Thanks for the reminder. It's just turned Spring officially here in NZ and The Deer Hunter is a favourite Spring/Summer evening watch.

Hope the 4K/HDR gets another look one day (probably won't for ages though). It's all a bit dark. Time for someone to take another look at the audio too. Wonders could be done with it I'm sure.
Actually, Pete, it looks amazing on my LG OLED monitor! I've owned it in almost every configuration and this remaster really shines. As I previously mentioned, even 1080p 3D looks like 4K! I haven't touched ANY of my original settings since I bought the TV in 2016. The factory settings were SPOT ON!

Actually, Pete, it looks amazing on my LG OLED monitor! I've owned it in almost every configuration and this remaster really shines. As I previously mentioned, even 1080p 3D looks like 4K! I haven't touched ANY of my original settings since I bought the TV in 2016. The factory settings were SPOT ON!
Yes, for the most part I thought it was OK but found the shack scene too dark and the Nick/hooker/baby room scene way too dark - as in, there's no way the lighting director would light the scene this dark.

Once the HDR application/whatever colour monkeying starts to obscure detail that was obvious on previous releases, it's clear they've gone too far.

Hopefully this "darkness/black level" obsession goes away soon. Very little in a scene is actually "black". If it was, there'd be no visible detail and no one involved in the production of a visual medium would go, "Yeah, let's make everything difficult to see." Definitely not in the 70's anyway. Since around 2018 though, maybe not.

Anyway, there's my 2 cents on black levels!

Back