Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thedigitalbits's excellent review of the Warner/Rhino 2 RBCD/1 BD~A ATMOS set of Jonathan Demme's STOP MAKING SENSE

http://thedigitalbits.com/item/stop-making-sense-deluxe-2024-bd-cd

81SYph37OML._SL1500_.jpg

Amazon plays games with shifting discounts on Criterion during that time frame but yes, if you are patient you will end up with the same deal.
I can pick up locally so B&N is often a winner.
Yep, both can be good options. You have to watch at the time you purchase and see which one is the best at the time of purchase. Sometimes I buy from B&N and sometimes I buy from Amazon.

CRITERION announces their November 2024 list of UHD4K releases including SEVEN SAMURAI, the original SCARFACE with Paul Muni, the original GODZILLA, PAPER MOON, FUNNY GIRL [with Babs Streisand] etc:

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=35017
Wow. I'm going to have to buy all of these. I don't think I've ever seen a release slate quite like this.

One forgets what an incredible film TRUE ROMANCE, celebrating its 25th Anniversary, remains. A dream cast, a Quentin Tarantino script, superbly directed by Tony Scott with a pacing that belies its two hour run time.

As presented by Arrow Video on a single UHD4K disc, a visual feast for the eyes and ears. Every detail is intact. If you have a true love for true romance by all means add this sensational disc to your permanent collection.

R.3bf46d627f318a82335066cfc5baf87b
Just watched for the first time. On a Christian Slater jag. Heathers, Pump up the Volume and now this. Pass the adrenaline !

Call-of-the-Wild0001.jpg

Sorry, but this one is not a classic, even though it should be. The dog is entirely CGI, and although it's believable in most scenes, there are just too many scenes where he's not acting like any dog I ever met.

Just because you CAN make an animated dog do things doesn't mean it'll be believable when it hits the screen. Too much of a good thing makes it not as good.

View attachment 108576

Sorry, but this one is not a classic, even though it should be. The dog is entirely CGI, and although it's believable in most scenes, there are just too many scenes where he's not acting like any dog I ever met.

Just because you CAN make an animated dog do things doesn't mean it'll be believable when it hits the screen. Too much of a good thing makes it not as good.
At least Harrison Ford wasn't AI/CGI, Barfle ...but give it time!

Arriving August 27th from ARROW films and director Robert Rodriguez THE MEXICO TRILOGY [Native UHD4K from OCN/HDR10/Dolby Vision/see individual releases for audio codecs] 1080p Blu~ray discs included for all three!

edit: Only Desperado is in UHD4K. El Mariachi and Once Upon a Time in Mexico are 1080p!

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Mexico-Trilogy-4K-Blu-ray/362570/#Review

81FiIgeszuL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

You can't make this stuff up: o_O

Alain Delon’s family refuse to put down dog actor wished to be buried with​

Late French film star wanted his pet Belgian malinois Loubo ‘put to sleep’ and laid beside him in grave

“He’s my end of life dog … I love him like a child,” Delon told Paris Match in 2018. “I’ve had 50 dogs in my life, but I have a special relationship with this one. He misses me when I’m not there.”

He added: “If I die before him, I’ll ask the vet to take us away together. He’ll put him to sleep in my arms. I’d rather do that than know that he’ll let himself die on my grave with so much suffering.”

https://www.theguardian.com/film/ar...o-put-down-dog-actor-wished-to-be-buried-with

The Conversation (1974) 4K:

1. I got this 1-disc Studio Canal release here in NZ: https://www.jbhifi.co.nz/products/conversation-the-1974-4k-ultra-hd

2. Image is superb. Colours are awesome. Detail is fine. Audio is presumably the same DTS-MA 5.1 on the previous BD release and is decent.

3. Such a cool flick.
What are you playing it on? Both my uhd players have trouble playing it (oppo and panasonic) yet it plays flawlessly on a friend's samsung player.

At the start of Alex Garland’s Civil War, during the A24 logo, there is white noise playing sequentially in each of the speakers of your setup! Basically a surround channels test at the start of the movie. I found that quite funny!

What are you playing it on? Both my uhd players have trouble playing it (oppo and panasonic) yet it plays flawlessly on a friend's samsung player.
Argh, that's annoying. What are you experiencing?

I ripped mine to MKV and played it back via a Zidoo Z9X media player. No problems experienced. I haven't actually tried playing it from the disc in my Sony X800.

wasn't sure where to drop this news, but hitting the big screen as reported on a WaltDisney site-

"Director Jon Favreau and producer Dave Filoni offered a special sneak peek of Lucasfilm’s “The Mandalorian and Grogu,” the upcomingStar Wars feature film that will open in theaters on May 22, 2026. Starring Pedro Pascal, directed by Jon Favreau and produced by Kathleen Kennedy, Favreau, Filoni and Ian Bryce, this exciting new adventure in the Mandalorian and Grogu’s journey is currently in production."

verifies that yes, Pascal will be in this movie (and bound to have an Atmos soundtrack!)

Back