Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From KINO LORBER and director Philip Kaufman INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS [1956] [Native UHD4K from the best existing film elements/HDR10/Dolby Vision/DTS~HD MA Mono] Available in two formats: 1:85.1 and SUPERSCOPE 1:200.1 read review for further details]

http://thedigitalbits.com/item/body-snatchers-1956-kino-2024-uhd

New on Blu-ray: INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (1956) - Olive Signature ...

Director Jon Favreau and producer Dave Filoni offered a special sneak peek of Lucasfilm’s “The Mandalorian and Grogu,” the upcomingStar Wars feature film that will open in theaters on May 22, 2026. Starring Pedro Pascal, directed by Jon Favreau and produced by Kathleen Kennedy, Favreau, Filoni and Ian Bryce, this exciting new adventure in the Mandalorian and Grogu’s journey is currently in production.
I really hope they don't screw this up. Live action Disney+ Star Wars has been a real mixed bag. Hopefully, the feature film budget means they'll rely less on The Volume™ and use both more real locations and more full, soundstage-filling sets. I'm fairly confident Favreau will direct it well, and Filoni seems to be the best big picture story guy currently at Lucasfilm. That still leaves the writing and acting in question, which have been the most lacking in the series.

From KINO LORBER and director Philip Kaufman INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS [1956] [Native UHD4K from the best existing film elements/HDR10/Dolby Vision/DTS~HD MA Mono] Available in two formats: 1:85.1 and SUPERSCOPE 1:200.1 read review for further details]

http://thedigitalbits.com/item/body-snatchers-1956-kino-2024-uhd

New on Blu-ray: INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (1956) - Olive Signature ...
Now, to decide whether my collection needs this for completeness, or if I am content with just the 1978 remake and its wonderful soundtrack by Denny Zeitlin... 🤔

Last edited:
Now, to decide whether my collection needs this for completeness, or if I am content with just the 1978 remake and its wonderful soundtrack by Denny Zeitlin... 🤔
If you read thedigitalbits.com incisive review it does state that the original camera negative for Body Snatchers has been lost to the ages and what Kino Lorber had to work with were sub par film elements 'doctored' at the behest of the studio to conform to SUPERSCOPE [1:200:1] which was NOT the intended format it was originally shot in.

While the 1956 original remains a classic I do agree the 1978 remake with Donald Sutherland was incredible!

Even the digital bits concurred the original was NOT 4K material as the image is a bit fuzzy and the aspect ratio does not conform to the original way it was filmed.

Maybe when Kino Lorber has their annual sale and it can be had tor under $18, I might consider a purchase!

Argh, that's annoying. What are you experiencing?

I ripped mine to MKV and played it back via a Zidoo Z9X media player. No problems experienced. I haven't actually tried playing it from the disc in my Sony X800.
During the trade show scene there is extensive 'blocking' and skipping. The disc plays Ok before and after that scene.

99764-the-bitter-ash-0-2000-0-3000-crop.jpg
I ordered this after reading great reviews and the story sounded intriguing. New 4K restoration, beatniks, unhappy couple and a "shocking act of violence" at the end. At 80 minutes in length I found myself ticking down the minutes in anticipation of it being over. Oh my, this was bad. $5000 budget bad. Overacting in the vein of so many early 1960's indie films, over dubbing of the entire vocal tracks that sometimes match the characters. Even though it was Canadian, you felt like you were watching a foreign film. Then there was the very annoying experimental jazz, too loud, soundtrack. I felt like there was a little kid in the room at the party banging on pots and pans and nobody would do anything about it. The shockingly violent act in the end could be compared to a "Ron" sketch from Mad TV. First time I invested in an unseen 4K Blu-ray movie and immediately sent it to the throw away pile. What is amazing is there is a lengthy booklet included going on and on about this film as well as interviews and other stuff.

Last edited:
I tried that but unfortunately the program can't read one sector. I'm guessing it's a faulty disc.
1. Is it MakeMKV that's not reading the sector properly and displaying an error during the rip process?

or;

2. Are you able to successfully rip it to MKV without MakeMKV displaying any errors and the playback of the MKV is throwing the error at that particular part of the movie?

Sorry for all the questions. Just wanna get to the bottom of it!

I really hope they don't screw this up. Live action Disney+ Star Wars has been a real mixed bag. Hopefully, the feature film budget means they'll rely less on The Volume™ and use both more real locations and more full, soundstage-filling sets. I'm fairly confident Favreau will direct it well, and Filoni seems to be the best big picture story guy currently at Lucasfilm. That still leaves the writing and acting in question, which have been the most lacking in the series.

Sounds like you're not a fan of "The Volume"; does it look too fake to you, or just unnatural in some way?

On my old Samsung regular HD-TV it didn't look too bad for me; but if you have a larger and more modern screen 4K etc., perhaps you notice it more.

Back