Flaming Lips Yoshimi Atmos Blu-ray out November 1st, 2024!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes you can buy downfiring modules that attach under your front wide speakers and reflect off the floor - I’ve got a 7.4.6.4 Atmos system built just for this release.
😂

Lossy can definitely be transparent, but I’ve found 448 Kbps 5.1 Dolby Digital ain’t it.

448 Kbps 2.0 Dolby Digital? Totally different story.

Well, I've never A/B'd lossy vs lossless, my ears are old and abused by many years of loud music, my system is in all likelihood mid-fi and I'm probably not the most discriminating/analytical listener to begin with, so take my opinion with a number of grains of salt. But I'm usually very happy with most DD and DTS lossy mixes. I still always choose hi-rez lossless when it's an option- unless there's some reason like accessing bleep blop animations- just because I'm far from sure. But lossless generally works fine for me. Even in the case of streaming Atmos, where the math says it's gotta sound worse, I hear some gorgeous Atmos mixes over streaming, like the new Apostrophe mix. I gues maybe it's a case of ignorance being bliss? 🤷‍♂️

Hopefully, the NEW Atmos remix can correct the LFE shift that occurred with the original MLP DVD~A 5.1 of YOSHIMI as uncovered by QQ moderator steelydave in this post from February 2021

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ave-a-lfe-issue-info-list-fixes-inside.30048/
I feel like the lossy Atmos mix on Apple Music has even weaker bass than the 5.1 DVD-Audio. The bass drops on the the title track are almost non-existent. Hopefully the full resolution Blu-ray will fix that.

Having enjoyed the 5.1, I'm in for Dolby Atmos!
I just ordered the blu-ray for 50AUD on Amazon UK. I already own the DVD which I bought for 50AUD last year. I was thinking about selling the DVD to pay for the blu ray. Is there any reason to keep both? Any thoughts?

I just ordered the blu-ray for 50AUD on Amazon UK. I already own the DVD which I bought for 50AUD last year. I was thinking about selling the DVD to pay for the blu ray. Is there any reason to keep both? Any thoughts?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but we still don't have confirmation that the DTS 5.1 mix on the Blu-ray is the same old mix that is on the DVD.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but we still don't have confirmation that the DTS 5.1 mix on the Blu-ray is the same old mix that is on the DVD.
No full explicit confirmation, but considering that Elliot Scheiner is mentioned in the 5.1 mix credits, it seems like another hint that it is the same mix as the 2003 edition.

Back