Guns N‘ Roses - Appetite For Destruction Locked N’ Loaded Edition

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow a fiver! That's nearly £2 cheaper then the MP3 album - for 4 times the quality! Some brilliant songs on there... Great stuff.

If only there was value like that on Appetite For Destruction... I have a feeling it's going to be a great mix if ELS is involved :phones

Like wise ordered. Great cross section of songs from multiple labels. Good find Clint.*

Unfortunately, NO mention of Elliot Scheiner association [whatsoever] with 1987's Appetite for Destruction. Hmmmm.

Probably NOT a complete list of Scheiner's credits.....or so one would hope!

*Hold the Press: Canceled AmazonUS order........WAY cheaper from AmazonUK [£4.19 w/VAT removed]: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acoustic-70s-Various-Artists/dp/B076P9V88P/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1525450044&sr=1-1&keywords=acoustic+seventies&dpID=515%2B7bk3CjL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch [$10.21 including s/h]

Great job Ralphie....I didn't even bother to look on amazon UK because I was ordering from UK companies and didn't even think about checking amazon UK....although I'm glad to get that low price for THREE cds...it does underscore the poor sales performance of physical discs that they are selling them for such a low price...even my previous order for around $18 was cheap for 3 discs...but to get 3 CD'S for $10 and change and includes shipping is incredible for the content and if ES worked on this project how could they make any money on this release...

Wonder if Gos 3.0 will order BOTH super deluxe versions of Appetite?

That gorgeous wooden case with all those 'nifty' compartments could always double as a 'sock' drawers!:eek:

Last edited:
Outrageous pricing. I really don't get it. For every one of the $180 box sets they sell I bet they would sell 20 in that $35-$50 range (think Tull, Marillion, INXS, etc...). It just makes no sense to me at all.

I much as I would like to hear Appetite for Destruction in surround, there's no way I'm paying $180 to do so. At some point it becomes a matter of principle.

Well I saw that it was an ES 5.1 mix and I jumped, plus I had a load of £'s left from a gift card which I'd been saving for a crazy surround purchase, and the full blown Super Deluxe of Led Zepp's "How The West Was Won" (which was sort of hanging there un-finalised) lost out to the G'n'R, so its still cost me a crazy £94, but hey its a 'new' 5.1 mix by ES :dance:51QQ:danceand we're all entitled to our moments of madness.

Outrageous pricing. I really don't get it. For every one of the $180 box sets they sell I bet they would sell 20 in that $35-$50 range (think Tull, Marillion, INXS, etc...). It just makes no sense to me at all.

I much as I would like to hear Appetite for Destruction in surround, there's no way I'm paying $180 to do so. At some point it becomes a matter of principle.
I just don't this the comparison is apropos - this album is in a completely different league in terms of audience and sales from anything those bands put out (even Tull, which was big in the day but has faded badly). I don't think they'll struggle to sell out. We'd all prefer it was cheaper (I actually want the CDs but many won't), but we're getting what we're getting.

And, honestly, if I'm wrong and it doesn't sell out, it will be gettable for half this price or less soon enough.

Last edited:

I wonder if its not a status symbol among bands... who has the most expensive box set.

But I'm with you on this. I cant afford, nor do I have a place to store, these mega box sets.

I think however, your 20 to 1 ratio is off significantly. There will be a CD only version of this, which will probably sell 50 to 1 at $20 a pop. The problem is the surround version is so niche and demand for it is so small there will be no significant outcry to include the surround version in a reasonably priced set as long as a CD only version is available for the masses. Or at least the masses that still buy physical disks.

I just don't this the comparison is apropos - this album is in a completely different league in terms of audience and sales from anything those bands put out (even Tull, which was big in the day but has faded badly). I don't think they'll struggle to sell out. We'd all prefer it was cheaper (I actually want the CDs but many won't), but we're getting what we're getting.

And, honestly, if I'm wrong and it doesn't sell out, it will be gettable for half this price or less soon enough.

To me the significance of this title is that it's more "mainstream"...whether you like G&R's or not...without wanting to offend any of my progressive music friends and members...comparing some of these prog groups that sell these inexpensive surround titles...IMO it's not a valid comparison...not saying they aren't talented...but before I came on this forum I hadn't even heard of some of these bands before...and I'm a music lover...this album is not only from a "mainstream" band..this title continues to be a huge commercial success....this album alone dwarfs what some of the prog bands have done in their entire existence....

Any offering that is at least leaning toward rock music is greatly appreciated by me:SG

Bullmoose now has the deluxe box up for preorder. $169.97, $0 for standard shipping, $0 tax at least for me.

the MOOSE is loose link

My guesstimate is that ImportCD will eventually price it at between $139~149 + additional s/h charges....and if they have one of their INFREQUENT 10% off sales.............. (y) At that SLASHed price, you'll get the GUNS 'n have enuf money left over to buy your significant other ROSES for Mother's Day to compensate for the extravagant expenditure!:QQlove

Last edited:
Appetite in 5.1. Hmm.... as much as I love new surround releases, AFD is not the first album I’d pick if I was to choose one freely. Stereo wise I appreciate this however. Even though I’m a bit sceptical to AFD in surround, if someone could pull this off it’s Elliot.

+1

Appetite in 5.1. Hmm.... as much as I love new surround releases, AFD is not the first album I’d pick if I was to choose one freely. Stereo wise I appreciate this however. Even though I’m a bit sceptical to AFD in surround, if someone could pull this off it’s Elliot.
Wouldn't have been my first choice either.....but....AFD upon release was a staggeringly different sound than I'd heard back then. It was on heavy rotation in my car on the backroads of Central IL. Spleef here, Jack Daniels there.....it was all interconnected.

Yes, I've since lost most interest in that title...but I have to say....if they could clean it up, make it punchier...and offer it in surround by the workings of Elliot....man. I just have to hear it.

I think it's gonna be a fun ride. I can't wait.

It hasn't happened here, really, but finally being on the side of the "definite buyers", and I suppose "hardcore fans", something has just really clicked for me about why music in surround/high-res doesn't sell.

On another forum, where there is a particularly long thread about this release (currently over 700 posts), a conservative estimate is that 30-40% are complaining about the price, not of the Locked N' Loaded Edition (US $999) but of the Super Deluxe Edition ($179).

Now, remember, this release was just announced yesterday, and we have heard at best one song that will be in the set, assuming the mastering is identical. $180 is the list price of the set, and in all likelihood, it will be available for less online between now and June 29th. Yet, literally dozens of people are already proclaiming that they won't buy the release, or that it should be a lower (or significantly lower) price, or that a cheaper variant is missing some crucial component (e.g., there is no "vanilla" CD/Blu-ray Audio for less). While most posts are just taking in details or asking questions, already the number of complainers dwarfs the number of people who seem actively excited for this release.

For me, as a fan of this band and album, it is extremely deflating to see so much negativity already, well before anyone has gotten their sets, and well before anyone has even heard 99% of the music on offer. While I should think this is only a vocal minority, I nonetheless cannot imagine how it would feel to be from GNR or Geffen/Universal Music, and go online and see this kind of reaction happening less than 24 hours after the release is announced. I imagine that multiple people worked very hard on this release, and tried to cater to as many consumers as possible by offering several different packages. I'm sure that Universal Music wants to make money, so yes, some things are not ideal, but I still think at the end of the day, for an artist as big as Guns N' Roses, the band and the label and everyone else did a pretty good job setting up this release, much better than a few more legendary (read: older) artists and bands from major labels who have released similar product on a much more exclusive and restrictive basis. Of course, there have also been several releases that surprise with how inexpensive/valuable they are, and while this GNR release isn't necessarily one of those, I don't think the price-to-content ratio merits the level of derision I have seen in that thread, and also in a few other "comments" sections online.

And so now, I have a new, clearer perspective on why so many popular artists have stayed away from things like Blu-ray, SACD, DVD-A, and the like, and why there are so few truly special releases from popular artists (and major labels) anymore. I think this one will be worth the wait, and there is always the possibility I'll be disappointed, but I'm honestly just really happy to be able to even order something like this from one of my favorite artists, and I wish the grouches on the other forums and sites would go away, at least until the sets are released, and then they can all pick apart and argue over the build quality of the memorabilia and the sound quality of the remastering. ;)

As much as I agree with YOU [and I DO], I look at it this way: Take the GOOD with the BAD: The Wizard of Watford {Michael Dutton} continues to give us masterful QUAD SACD reissues [MOSTLY two~fers] at roughly $8 [US] each which is a

pittance compared to what the US reissue companies give us Stereo SACD reissues for [$30 each] so I can somehow justify these 'ridiculously' priced box sets and as I've posted before....if you can be patient, the price of these boxsets do

come down [sometimes WAAAYYYY down] so if you don't have to be the first on the block and have bragging rights to score these boxsets at their initial outrageous prices, you'll get them for a 'decent' price.

Addenda: I meant to post this as a REPLY to Post #84 so sorry if my reply sounds 'confusing!'

I'm in. My guess is the super deluxe drops to the $150 range by the time it's released. That's still overpriced but GN'R did a lot right with this release:
-Sourced from the analog tapes
-5.1 mix by Elliot Schneider
-Appetite spread over 2 slabs of vinyl
-Snuck Lies (well, most of Lies. Seems One in a Million is missing, but that's a whole other matter)
-My guess is Bob Ludwig will handle the remaster

I would assume we'll get 5.1 mixes for Illusion as well in the next 5 years. Strangely, Chinese Democracy would have the most potential for a creative 5.1 mix given how many instruments are on each track.

I'm in. My guess is the super deluxe drops to the $150 range by the time it's released. That's still overpriced but GN'R did a lot right with this release:
-Sourced from the analog tapes
-5.1 mix by Elliot Schneider
-Appetite spread over 2 slabs of vinyl
-Snuck Lies (well, most of Lies. Seems One in a Million is missing, but that's a whole other matter)
-My guess is Bob Ludwig will handle the remaster

I would assume we'll get 5.1 mixes for Illusion as well in the next 5 years. Strangely, Chinese Democracy would have the most potential for a creative 5.1 mix given how many instruments are on each track.

I applaud your optimism that we are even going to be offered these surround box sets in 5 years...given the recent decisions concerning the disc format...

Back