Help With 4K Blu Ray Player and 4k Ripping

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Bruzonsky

500 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Thanks to this forum I so far have blu ray/DVD (but not 4k blu ray) ripping down pat.

1. For my ROON music software, with my Windows 11 laptop, I use MakeMKV and then DVD Audio Extractor (I was using AnyDVD HD with DVD Audio Extractor for years until Redfox AnyDVD HD went off the web).

2. For my blu ray and DVD ripping (played via Dune HD Pro Vision 4k Solo Directory) (primarily for music - Dolby Atmos, Auro-3D and DTS-X), I use MakeMKV to decrypt and rip the files, and then IMGBurn to make the ISO file (or I rip mkv files with MakeMKV and then MKVToolnix to break out individual tracks).

3. My blu ray/dvd player/writer for years has been a Pioneer BD-RW BDR-X506 firmware 2017-06-22.

Is it simply a matter of updating the firmware for my existing Pioneer, and if so, which firmware and a link so I do not get newer firmware which defeats ripping?
Or can you recommend a 4k blu ray player/writer to use with Windows 11 laptop for this? Thanks.

Or can you recommend a 4k blu ray player/writer to use with Windows 11 laptop for this? Thanks.
I'd recommend looking through the MakeMKV forums. I don't really understand what goes on under the hood, but somehow or other even Blu-ray computer drives that can read triple-layer discs can't rip commercial 4k releases without firmware trickery.

https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=16 is a good place to start. I have two different drives that I've flashed and the process went smoothly, though one of those drives is just inherently unreliable.

Note also that you can get an (expensive!) triple-layer blank and burn yourself a clone of a 4k disc, but depending on who you believe there's either nothing or close to nothing out there that will play it. You're much better off ripping to MKV.

Back