Hoping to create new versions of classic albums

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sorry - just had to add these!!! it was after all the very first album I ever mixed!! Bless you Tommy!! Such fun times!! SWTx

Tommy Bolin - Dennis MacKay (producer) - Stephen W Tayler (mixer) - Neil Ross (assistant engineer) - Private Eyes Mix Sessions - Trident Studios Mix Room - August 1976

Gold Cassette/CD award for Private Eyes, from the Tommy Bolin Archive display at Sioux City Museum, August 2, 2024, on the weekend of the 30th annual Bolin Festival.

1729275195905.jpeg

sorry - just had to add these!!! it was after all the very first album I ever mixed!! Bless you Tommy!! Such fun times!! SWTx

Tommy Bolin - Dennis MacKay (producer) - Stephen W Tayler (mixer) - Neil Ross (assistant engineer) - Private Eyes Mix Sessions - Trident Studios Mix Room - August 1976

View attachment 110321
View attachment 110322

View attachment 110324

LOL, I didn't know that was you Stephen. All joking aside on my part, that is a freaking super cool set of photos.

View attachment 110321
View attachment 110322

View attachment 110324
These photos look like a callback to the "Electric Moo" album cover, with each person occuping each position in successive photos.

These photos look like a callback to the "Electric Moo" album cover, with each person occuping each position in successive photos.
Never heard of that - but that was our plan - each position along with the hats!! I own the original negatives of these photos - I must have convinced a teaboy to take them on my camera!!!

So incredible to have a record of such an iconic moment - SWTx

Last edited:
And member & moderator Steely Dave seems to have direct contact to Dutton Vocalion.

Yes, I'd be happy to put SWT in touch with Mike Dutton if it would help any, but I think for this kind of thing you need to start with the parent label (ie Sony, UMG, etc.) and get permission first. I don't know about UMG so much, but Sony rarely let outside engineers remix legacy material unless it's an artist-driven request. So unless that's the case, or you have someone in A&R who wants to make this kind of thing happen and will fight your corner, it's a non-starter.

...and possibly an unpopular opinion (and it's only mine, I'm not telling anyone else how to think or feel) but I have no interest in surround mixes derived from upmixed, demixed, or AI-assisted 'stems' generated from stereo sources - I've never heard a single one that made want to give up my preferred mastering of the original stereo mix.

Life's too short, and the major label vaults are full to overflowing with more than 70 years worth of actual multitrack masters to get sidetracked with stuff like this. Once you've made a stew, you can spend all the time you like straining the ingredients out and separating them into their original constituent parts, but they'll never come close to resembling their form before they went in the pot.

I've never heard a single one that made want to give up my preferred mastering of the original stereo mix.
Maybe this will be the first one. There are also numerous albums for which the multis are missing for only one or two songs. Aja springs to mind. If the method proves to be appealing, perhaps it could lead to the liberation of otherwise inaccessible material. Worth a shot I say...

Back