Life in Surround - Surround Music Review and Discussion YouTube Channel

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can we think of all notable examples of recent 5.1 -> Atmos album upgrades?
Lots of streaming-exclusive titles:
  • Van Morrison - Moondance
  • Neil Young - Harvest & On The Beach
  • Fleetwood Mac - S/T, Rumours, Mirage
  • Grateful Dead - American Beauty & Workingman's Dead
  • Bob Marley - Legend
  • Carly Simon - No Secrets
  • Beatles - Sgt Pepper
  • Elton John - S/T & Honky Chateau
  • Talking Heads - entire catalog
  • Doors - entire catalog

Lots of streaming-exclusive titles:
  • Van Morrison - Moondance
  • Neil Young - Harvest & On The Beach
  • Fleetwood Mac - S/T, Rumours, Mirage
  • Grateful Dead - American Beauty & Workingman's Dead
  • Bob Marley - Legend
  • Carly Simon - No Secrets
  • Beatles - Sgt Pepper
  • Elton John - S/T & Honky Chateau
  • Talking Heads - entire catalog
  • Doors - entire catalog
Oh, wow.
A fantastic topic, right there.

The Hurting was an upgrade, right? There was a prior 5.1 release then the bluray(?).

SW's next solo album is coming. Not sure the full scope/context of your list, but that will be Atmos.

The Hurting was an upgrade, right? There was a prior 5.1 release then the bluray(?).

SW's next solo album is coming. Not sure the full scope/context of your list, but that will be Atmos.
I am not aware of a prior multichannel release of The Hurting. So, the SDE release is not an upgrade, in my book. If a holographic ultra Blu-ray comes out 10 years from now, in 38 channel ultra Atmos, or whatever evolves, that would be the upgrade.

SW's album will be the starting point. The upgrades could be expected in the future.

Now, Atmos mixes for Raven? Hand? In Absentia? FoaBP? Those would be the upgrades.

Multichannel Music News!

Fish - 13th Star
Ziggy - complete film, restored video, fresh 5.1 mix
Zappa - only seeing it on Zappa store - Atmos and original Quad
SW - THC - some versions are selling out - stand-alone BD
Nektar - Remember the Future - new 5.1 and classic Quad on BD - unknown quality of 5.1 - Cherry Red
Soord - Illuminations Kscope artbook set - Kscope book set - 5.1 DVD
Who's Next - massive set releases soon
PF 50th Stand-alone BD
Peter Gabriel I/O - AppleMusic/bandcamp - most exciting thing I've heard lately
Santana/McLaughlin Love Devotion Surrender Quad SACD ordered with Super Session Quad SACD
The Yes Album - Atmos "upgrade" era
Duran Duran - Danse Macabre - Bob Clearmountain Atmos BD
Prince - Diamonds and Pearls - 1st Price album in Atmos
The Tragically Hip - Phantom Power Atmos!

I'm with you on the Steven Wilson THC release. Pretty underwhelmed by Economies Of Scale and can only hope for more interesting material on the rest of the album. Although the alternate "re-imagined" album with guest artists sounds intriguing, it looks like it will only be available in the deluxe set on a CD, not on the blu-ray in multi-ch or hi-res - I strongly suspect the blu-ray would have had plenty of room for it. Seems like just an excuse to cram another disc in the package. Standalone blu-ray is the format I'm going with - at least the price is reasonable.

As to The Yes Album reissue, I fully expect this to happen with many of the higher profile and progressive rock bands that have already gone down the surround/deluxe re-issue path, i.e. Yes, King Crimson, ELP, Jethro Tull, etc. That wouldn't bother me except for the price gouging. The early details on The Yes Album reissue package is that in addition to the new Atmos mix, it will contain a mountain of material with questionable value: a vinyl LP of the the original album mix, much of the older Steven Wilson remix material already released on multiple formats, and a "rare" mono mix of the album. I sure am eager to hear a mono version of this album - aren't you?

In this day of hi-res digital stereo and multichannel "spatial" music, forcing people to purchase the archaic vinyl format along with digital formats for an inflated price is both moronic and insulting and will be an absolute deal breaker for me. I would gladly purchase a standalone blu-ray, or cd/blu-ray package, but not a package that is filled with unwanted and duplicated material. So far, King Crimson has elected to go the CD/Blu-Ray route with their Atmos re-issues and have managed to include a lot of new material, and just recently Pink Floyd decided to release stand-alone blu-rays of Animals 5.1 and DSOTM Atmos. We can only hope others will be willing to do the same, or I won't be buying it.

Back