Listening now to this stereo/mono CD.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
59FB0DD6-7A61-4FDC-BD24-EA22609E31ED.jpeg

Time to really dive into Taj Mahal’s early/middle years. Already have TM, Natch’l Blues & Real Thing but the rest is uncharted territory, starting tonight with:

6C41ADB6-5D8D-4DC0-BDA4-4ADEB0CCBC34.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I was listening to Sirius XM BB King Blues Channel in the car and this Sonny Landreth song came on called Congo Square and I loved it.
I looked it up and bought the CD, which the whole CD is great, this now makes two Sonny Landreth CD's I have, the other Bound By The Blues.
Sonny Landreth-Grant Street (Live) 2005.
16bit/44.1Khz. DR's are 7's, 8's, 9.
R-3310660-1487002692-7482.jpg

Interesting I have never seen that brand, Master Sound, Have they done a series?
Columbia started their Mastersound series in 1980 to compete with MoFi. I have a few but looking over the discogs list below .... hardly a dent in what was released......Vinyl and Chromium Dioxide cassettes are listed but there were quite a few released as Gold CDs in premium packaging:

https://www.discogs.com/label/367701-CBS-Mastersound
And a few comments from SHF regarding the sound quality of a number of their releases:

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/sony-mastersound-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly.1526/

Last edited:
IMHO, Taj's best!!

Bought several of the Gold Mastersound CD's:

long box:
Kind of Blue
CTA
Stand

slipcases:
Child is Father - BS&T BONUS: 10 MONO AUDITION TRACKS
JT
Blowin Your Mind $85 EBay

I believe that CTA & Stand were not repressed in slipcases
Many later titles like Child & Blowin; were only pressed as CD-size slipcases.

Wow , you old timers have left me in the dust on this subject, Master Sound.
Are they good? Are they inexpensive?
they are good. Some just good. some exceptional good. Discogs is your friend on the subject and search. And Ebay is yer bud to purchase as deals can be had on them. Good deals = 20 to 25 bucks per disc. Be patient to find those deals. BTW - they sound awesome in a Luxie spinner

Here is the one to get if you want to test the waters -

https://www.discogs.com/release/7032164-Chicago-Transit-Authority-Chicago-Transit-Authority

Last edited:
they are good. Some just good. some exceptional good. Discogs is your friend on the subject and search. And Ebay is yer bud to purchase as deals can be had on them. Good deals = 20 to 25 bucks per disc. Be patient to find those deals. BTW - they sound awesome in a Luxie spinner

Here is the one to get if you want to test the waters -

https://www.discogs.com/release/7032164-Chicago-Transit-Authority-Chicago-Transit-Authority
And dug this one out of the pile and played it all the way through ...Stereo Review offered this back in the 80's at a special price for subscribers and it sounds fantastic with cuts from West Sde Story [original Cast], Miles Davis [Kind of Blue], Dave Brubeck, Springsteen, Boston, et alia ...... very audiophile sounding utilizing Columbia's proprietary Super Bit Mapping which promised 20 bit resolution from a 16/44.1 CD!

stereo review- mastersound sampler | Dr Umm | Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
And dug this one out of the pile and played it all the way through ...Stereo Review offered this back in the 80's at a special price for subscribers and it sounds fantastic with cuts from West Sde Story [original Cast], Miles Davis [Kind of Blue], Dave Brubeck, Springsteen, Boston, et alia ...... very audiophile sounding utilizing Columbia's proprietary Super Bit Mapping which promised 20 bit resolution from a 16/44.1 CD!

stereo review- mastersound sampler | Dr Umm | Flickr

Stereo review 35th anniversary (usa ltd 'master sound sampler' issue ...'master sound sampler' issue ...

I was an avid subscriber to Stereo Review (actually still subscribe) and LOVED those opportunities to get those audiophile recordings.

Back