Listening now to this stereo/mono CD.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Robins returned to our neighborhood this week from winter vacation. And Robin Trower arrived this evening in my house

View attachment 102194

And I'm sure the swallows also returned to Capistrano, Ricko, but does that mean I should play

Barn Swallow | San Diego Bird Spot

Last edited by a moderator:
The London album from 1978 is a great little listen. Enjoying myself some Streetband (early Paul Young.)

View attachment 102331
View attachment 102332

Streetband - Truth Without Lies / Things Are Never Quite What They Seem (1978)
View attachment 102333

Streetband - You're All I Need (1978)
View attachment 102334

Streetband - Toast (1978)
View attachment 102335
They had a longish residency in my local pub (when I was back home from Uni), every Friday for quite a few weeks if I remember correctly
....... that was The Horn Of Plenty in St. Albans, and I've just realised I never bought the album!!!

Bobbie Gentry THE GIRL FROM CHICKASAW COUNTY [Capitol Records/UMG/2 Stereo RBCDs] 45 beautifully remastered tracks from Bobbie's 8 disc box set [highlights] What a voice and what songs!

71QMZSJGeyL._SL1500_.jpg

Bobbie Gentry THE GIRL FROM CHICKASAW COUNTY [Capitol Records/UMG/2 Stereo RBCDs] 45 beautifully remastered tracks from Bobbie's 4 disc box set [highlights] What a voice and what songs!

71QMZSJGeyL._SL1500_.jpg
The deluxe box set is actually 8 discs, but I absolutely agree with you, it’s an incredible collection! Delighted to hear you’re enjoying it!

File this one under Timing Is Everything... Here's a nifty little AWB single from 1974 that was recorded when Hamish Stuart first joined the group. MCA (the label that initially signed Average White Band) released it posthumously to ride the coattails of the first Atlantic album that was burning up the charts. Great single that got no traction. Real shame!

Average White Band - How Can You Go Home (1974)

Last edited:
So, after the great success of "Video Killed The Radio Star" in 1978, and spurred on by its iconic association with launch of MTV, The Buggles resurfaced in 1981 with a follow-up album and a new record label. Adventures In Modern Recording is an amazing LP, and IMO, it is much stronger than their debut effort, The Age Of Plastic. Unfortunately, it was poorly promoted, didn't garner a hit single, and then Trevor Horn was gone. The title track and "Beatnik" remain as infectious today as they did in 1981. This disc is simply cool! The 1997 Japan import is my go-to version.

The Buggles (front).jpg

The Buggles (back).jpg

18B607FD-A065-4685-BFCB-F94F4469D5A4.jpeg

John Lennon - Signature Box

A mixture of sadness (Dec.8/80, feels like yesterday) and joy (his music) playing this set.
The vast majority of his solo music, some of which I hadn’t heard before (STINYC, R&R, M&H), is excellent.
I struggled with the gritty sound quality (original recording or mastering to blame?) until Double Fantastic and Milk and Honey which are worlds better.
The material on Home Tapes is better than expected.
The unique packaging is cool.

Edit: This was the oldest “not listened to” set in my pile, purchased in 2012. I’ll catch up one of these days lol

For as much as I like the Buggles, I think there is another synth-pop group circa the same time that was even better...New Musik. Tracks for their debut album were recorded between 1979-80 just as the synth-pop thing was gaining some traction thanks to acts like Soft Cell, M, Flying Lizards, etc. So, in 1980, when New Musik's, From A to B, album was released it should have been greeted by a receptive public. Epic Records issued a slimmed down version of the album in the U.S. as a 10-inch record and they did a radio push for the single "Straight Lines." It charted, but it was not a hit. New Musik released two more albums before calling it quits and each one is weirder than its predecessor. But, they got everything right the first time out with From A to B. It's an excellent album for the genre and it's full of catchy tunes.

New Musik (front).jpg

New Musik (back).jpg

Still learning. But still a rabbit hole.
Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass-Whipped Cream & Other Delights.
Quite a few years ago I purchased this from HDTracks, 24bit/96Khz, released in 2015.
I went to listen a couple weeks ago, and somehow was missing tracks 1 & 2.
I thought, why not go to Discogs, look up and buy the first CD.
Originally released in 1965 as an LP, then in 1988 the first US CD #CD 3157.
There is a 1986 Japanese CD, very expensive.
Now I have the two 1988 & 2015 to compare.
Comparing the two, the 1988 CD has higher DR numbers 12's, 13's, 14's. Sounds fuller, more open, great sound stage and tone. One negative there is a slight constant of tape hiss that is really only heard at soft spots, and end of track.
The digital download sounds flatter, not as wide a sound stage, no tape hiss and good tone.
My preference is the 1988 CD.
A listening experience cannot be perfected unless one was to purchase all releases, I have heard and seen vinyl people do that, CD people don't seem to do it as much.
Not to mention, the time it takes to do, critical listening with pen and paper.
R-12899357-1544120223-4756.jpg

Back