Listening now to this stereo/mono CD.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After their brilliant debut album, Child Is Father To The Man, conceived and produced by Al Kooper, Al was unceremoniously dumped from the band he created, Blood Sweat & Tears. In early 1969, Kooper embarked on a solo career that's lasted for decades and includes some critically acclaimed and truly remarkable recordings. I Stand Alone literally rises from the ashes of CIFTTM and picks up where it leaves off. The album is a bit uneven in spots and sometimes sounds rushed, but it clearly demonstrates Kooper's abilities as a virtuoso singer/songwriter/musician/producer. The title track is a standout. Ditto for the album closer. Kooper has made better solo records than this one. However, this is the first and his bombastic defiance is as compelling today as it was back in 1969. I never get tired of giving this one a spin.

I Stand Alone (front).jpg

I Stand Alone (back).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Bought I Stand Alone on LP as a new release. Later rebought on Japan CD. Had Kooper sign it, You Never Know, Gold CD of Child, Easy Does It, and Super Session, too
Ditto on the new release. I still have the vinyl. I was shocked when the Japan CD finally got released. I had given up all hope of it ever getting a physical release. At the time, I gladly paid the exorbitant $45 import fee to get it. His catalog was in disarray for decades. He deserves better. If it wasn't for Al Kooper's efforts as an A&R guy, The Zombies, Odessey And Oracle, would have never gotten a U.S. release. He's an amazing and influential artist. Eventually, in 2015, Columbia did get around to issuing a 5-CD "Original Album Classics" collection. It's no-frills, but it remains the easiest and most economical way to fill out your library with some classic Kooper.
Screen Shot 2024-02-16 at 7.08.23 PM.png

I agree that the Gold CD of Child is excellent. Even Better, IMO, is Kooper's dedicated 5.1 SACD Surround mix. He pulled out all of the stops on that one! I'm so thrilled it did get a (albeit incredibly limited) release. It's one of my favorite multichannel SACD's. Super Session is no slouch, either. :)

Kooper (front).jpg

Kooper (back).jpg

When I met Kooper, Child and Super Session had yet to be released in 5.1. I was aware that 5.1 mixes were done. Kooper gave me the expected answer: "I don't know when Sony will release them.
It's really ashame that Al didn't remix more albums into 5.1 as Child Is Father To The Man is a kaleidoscopic 'journey' via his fantastic remix!

When I met Kooper, Child and Super Session had yet to be released in 5.1. I was aware that 5.1 mixes were done. Kooper gave me the expected answer: "I don't know when Sony will release them.
Unfortunately for Al, once the attorneys stepped in and blew up the whole "hybrid multichannel" SACD model with their untenable revised royalty agreements, the record companies quickly abandoned the format. If it wasn't for a few brave boutique labels that arrived on the scene decades later, these things would have never seen the light of day. Obviously, the licensing remains a nightmare, but with a short-term license for a limited release, they have come up with a way to get some of these things out the door and still break even on the proposition.

My understanding is that Kooper is indirectly responsible. I was told that his Manager sued Sony to get royalties for each version of a title for EVERY VERSION included on the disc. So, a hybrid multich would need to pay royalties x 3. CD layer, 2ch SACD layer and multich layer.
Wow! I did not know that. I knew that was the issue. However, I had no idea Kooper was directly involved with it.

One last bit of Al. I think his 1976 album, Act Like Nothing's Wrong, is one of his best. It's hard to find, but worth the effort. From his classic re-working of the number one hit he wrote for Gary Lewis & The Playboys, to his Beach Boys tinged homage, there is a lot to like here!

Kooper (front).jpg

Kooper (back).jpg

BTW, since we've unintentionally, more or less, hijacked this thread with our '60s reminiscences, if no one objects, I'll move this conversation to a dedicated Sixties Music thread I will set up. Sound like a plan?

As I am a Southern Rocker, born in California, I keep current with all Southern Rock. Blackberry Smoke is a great band.
For a new modern recording release The DR's are quite high. Maybe the industry is learning?
Latest release 2/16/2024.
Blackberry Smoke-Be Right Here.
16bit/44.1Khz. DR's are 8's, 9's, 10's.
R-29812537-1708030066-4200.jpg

The Modern Jazz Quartet THE MONTREUX YEARS [BMG Management/MQA encoded] Recorded between 1987 and 1990 at the world famous Montreux Jazz Festival in Switzerland, these guys really and truly SWING ..... Sound is state of the art and MQA allows one to hear the concerts in 24 bit resolution. So many highlights but TRUE BLUES is a stand out! Disc comes in a mini~LP hardbound booklet. Classy!

916ENNxXMtL._SL1500_.jpg

Off our rockers, actin' crazy
With the right medication we won't be lazy
Doin' the old folks boogie
Down on the farm
Wheelchairs, they was locked arm in arm
Paired off pacemakers with matchin' alarms
Gives us jus' one more chance
To spin one more yarn
And you know that you're over the hill
When your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill
Doin' the old folks boogie
And boogie we will
'Cause to us the thought's as good as a thrill
Back at the home,
No time is your own,
Facillities there, they're all out on loan
The bank forclose, and your bankruptcy shows
And your credit creeps to an all-time low
So you know, that you're over the hill
Try and get a rise from an atrophied muscle,
And the nerves in your thigh just quivers and fizzles
So you know, that you're over the hill

From Cherry Red Records. You know me and Muscle Shoals Alabama, love that sound
This new release Muscle Shoals Horns-2 CD release containing 3 CD's.
Cherry Red Records Info Page Good mix between vocal songs and instrumentals.
Music is straight Funk/Soul.
16bit/44.1khz-FLAC Rip. DR's are 11's, 12's, 13's, 14.
MUSCLE-SHOALS.png

Back