Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Listening now to The Church-The Hypnogogue.
I like probably most only have The Church-Starfish in my collection.
This is real good. Great big sound. Atmos is powerful.
One small disappointment is vocals, seem a touch to recessed. There is no center channel action so vocals come via front left and right speakers.
I turned up both front and left 2db each and helped, a song like Track 3-I think I Knew when music goes quiet then no problem. Also reading lyrics as the song goes, without lyrics I would be straining to hear lyrics. Track 3-Flickering Lights vocals better again in the softer spots. Maybe I should finish the listen before commenting, but first Track 1 & Track 2 where hard for me, vocal wise.
But as streaming Atmos goes, really great!
EDIT: Finished complete listen and for the most part I do think the release benefited by the db levels being raised at front left and right, for vocals only. All systems are different, so this info likely just for me. Really good Atmos release, most importantly music and lyrics.
I found this article (Link) that addresses the less than stellar vocals volume in some Atmos mixes, the quote is from the Atmos Renderer section:

According to the author:
What I found is that Spatial Audio doesn’t seem to like mono sources that are panned front left/ right with no center channel. I’ve loved 5.1 music mixes over the years, but how people mixed those was all over the place, and often the center channel was hardly used. This may sound great in 5.1 or even on an Atmos setup, but in Spatial Audio, that lead vocal that didn’t make use of the center channel may sound low and distant compared to the Atmos mix and even compared to the Dolby Binaural mix. That was the exact issue I had with so many Spatial Audio tracks that I have listened to, and I couldn’t figure out why some songs sounded like that and some didn’t. Now I know why. You can pan left and you can pan right, but if you have that mono element coming from the left and right without using the center channel, you may run into this issue with Spatial Audio.

Is Brothers In Arms available outside the US? I saw it mentioned on another site, but I don't see it here.

Maybe Fletcher just rubbed me the wrong way in this piece, but I can't see how anyone would prefer these new Atmos mixes to the Ainlay 5.1's.
You’ve done various Dire Straits projects in surround sound formats over the years. How does Dolby Atmos compare to those experiences?

“The only one I was really involved with was the 5.1 Brothers in Arms that [producer and engineer] Chuck Ainlay did. I’ve got to say Dolby Atmos just blows it away. The immersive experience of Atmos is so far in advance of standard 5.1. At the time, 5.1 was great, but this is a whole different level of immersion. Having access to those 5.1 surround mixes that Chuck did were fantastic, but again, compared to this they were very limited. Atmos really opens it up.”

Lossless stereo for me. How is it?
Just had a first listen and compared it to the SACD. Totalt agree with haikubass. The 5.1 mix of Chuck Ainley is much better mixed. You can tell he put a lot of work into the mix to get all the details as good as possible. The atmos mix isn't awfull, it's just not in the same league. Sadly.

So I was excited to see this classic album from one of my favorite German artists come up in Atmos. A quick listen was disappointing. Can anyone look at this and see if it's an upmix? If not, it's a terrible big stereo mix...

So I was excited to see this classic album from one of my favorite German artists come up in Atmos. A quick listen was disappointing. Can anyone look at this and see if it's an upmix? If not, it's a terrible big stereo mix...
Sorry, but I hear very little in the rears, if anything at all. Too bad, there has to be enough stems to work with. The Die Happy (that would be one of my favorite artists) mix is stellar compared to this (non-)effort.

Based on listening to the three first tracks it seems like an upmix. Lead vocal and drums in every speaker. Aber sehr gute Musik!

I'm playing the album right now, the real deal. Does this link work for anyone?
Listening now...

This does not blow the 5.1 mix away....at all!!

This is such a fantastic album which I played to death on its release.
And again, when the 5.1 was issued.

Last edited:
Maybe Fletcher just rubbed me the wrong way in this piece, but I can't see how anyone would prefer these new Atmos mixes to the Ainlay 5.1's.
Interesting he says he's working with Mark on his new album. But what drove me nuts was knowing that the two gentlemen below were also collaborating

Attachments

• 147725_0_wide_ver1677415919.jpg@420.jpg
    [email protected]
    21.3 KB · Views: 0
Crazy that he's already got another one already after A Beautiful Time; which as many of you know I absolutely LOVE.

So if this is as good as A Beautiful Time - hell yes!
Interesting the three tracks available so far from 'I Don't Know a Thing' are also on Tidal in atmos vs all the other Willie stuff only available there in 360 Reality Audio (boo).

Back