Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not bad, but pretty tame mix-wise. Nothing like the SACD, unfortunately.
Maybe Fletcher just rubbed me the wrong way in this piece, but I can't see how anyone would prefer these new Atmos mixes to the Ainlay 5.1's.
Just had a first listen and compared it to the SACD. Totalt agree with haikubass. The 5.1 mix of Chuck Ainley is much better mixed. You can tell he put a lot of work into the mix to get all the details as good as possible. The atmos mix isn't awfull, it's just not in the same league. Sadly.
This does not blow the 5.1 mix away....at all!!
Yeah agree just sampling a bit of Brothers In Arms Atmos... I much prefer the 5.1 mix. An interesting comparison is the "I want my MTV" on Money For Nothing, which comes from the rear on the 5.1 - but mixed to the front as well on the Atmos. It's a 'whole different level of immersion' by being less immersive! 😆

Another track from Three Feet High And Rising. The whole album (and the other missing De La Soul albums, also hopefully in Atmos) are out 3/3
On the edge of my seat for the full-album drop. A piece by Ben Sisario in today's Times says there are some samples (e.g., Eddie Murphy in "The Magic Number") that they couldn't clear and had to fill in with "drumbeats, horn hits, and vinyl scratches." They also had to completely reimagine "Cool Breeze On the Rocks" ("a pastiche of more than 20 fragments in less than a minute by Public Enemy, Jefferson Starship, Afrika Bambaata and others").

Last edited:
On the edge of my seat for the full-album drop. A piece by Ben Sisario in today's Times says there some samples (e.g., Eddie Murphy in "The Magic Number") that they couldn't clear and had to fill in with "drumbeats, horn hits, and vinyl scratches." They also had to completely reimagine "Cool Breeze On the Rocks" ("a pastiche of more than 20 fragments in less than a minute by Public Enemy, Jefferson Starship, Afrika Bambaata and others").
Me too, especially as I’m trapped in Denver (came for both business and to check and see if it’s a place I’d want to live) with either a stomach bug or food poisoning. I need something to take my mind off of things.

Interesting on the new changes, I think I still have those free downloads they gave out of the originals ages ago, would be interesting to see how they stack up.

I recognize the name of the “sample clearing queen”, Deborah Mannis-Gardner from an interview with The Avalanches (man oh man what I would do to have even one of their 3 albums in Atmos), another sample heavy group. After their first album got revised five times they worked with her to ensure everything was cleared for their 16-years-in-development second album

@PurpleMoustache come on out!!! We Denverites need more immersive folks in our audio population. Always an invite to come visit my Atmos theater in Parker. Oh, and the stomach bug is going around, so likely that. :(
The day I had to explore before the work stuff started I greatly enjoyed poking around. Drove around Cherry Creek, Lowry, and visited the art museum. Today was supposed to be the last day of my training (Scrum Master) but I’m stuck at the hotel. Was planning on going to Red Rocks and more, but, well… change of plans

The day I had to explore before the work stuff started I greatly enjoyed poking around. Drove around Cherry Creek, Lowry, and visited the art museum. Today was supposed to be the last day of my training (Scrum Master) but I’m stuck at the hotel. Was planning on going to Red Rocks and more, but, well… change of plans
Red Rocks is a must if you are ok with walking. The visitors center is currently closed apparently but generally is a really cool look into the geologic history of the area, as well as the musical history of the park. It's public and free. Folks go there to exercise, but you can also just walk right on stage and sing your heart out. A lovely place.
https://www.redrocksonline.com/explore-red-rocks/visitor-center/

'The Songs Of Bacharach and Costello', the boxset, has shown up today with 'Painted From Memory' as the first disc. I understood from the press release in January, that 'Painted From Memory' had been mixed in Dolby Atmos and would be released exclusively via Apple Music, Tidal etc, as it was not part of the box set. I can only find Hi-Res Lossless versions. Hopefully, someone can find or fall over it and post the link.

Last edited:
FWIW Brothers In Arms now available on Tidal. https://tidal.com/album/278673958

Guy Fletcher is credited as immersive engineer. I wish they had given this task to an experienced atmos engineer. I am afraid we will have more disappointing atmos releases from that direction.

The 5.1 SACD of BIA is still available for 12 Euros at jpc.de. Just saying.

New Featured Artist: De La Soul!
1677825918809.png

'The Songs Of Bacharach and Costello', the boxset, has shown up today with 'Painted From Memory' as the first disc. I understood from the press release in January, that 'Painted From Memory' had been mixed in Dolby Atmos and would be released exclusively via Apple Music, Tidal etc, as it was not part of the box set. I can only find Hi-Res Lossless versions. Hopefully, someone can find or fall over it and post the link.
Last I checked, there were still only a couple of preview tracks. I think the official release is later this month.

On the edge of my seat for the full-album drop. A piece by Ben Sisario in today's Times says there are some samples (e.g., Eddie Murphy in "The Magic Number") that they couldn't clear and had to fill in with "drumbeats, horn hits, and vinyl scratches." They also had to completely reimagine "Cool Breeze On the Rocks" ("a pastiche of more than 20 fragments in less than a minute by Public Enemy, Jefferson Starship, Afrika Bambaata and others").
Finally they’re up on Apple, 1-6 showing Atmos

Attachments

• A695670B-6EE7-416A-AA67-BDC04803DB81.png
    A695670B-6EE7-416A-AA67-BDC04803DB81.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Back