Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Badu is the only artist I'm only slightly aware of in these barrages 😵
Ledisi is a very good (jazzy) R&B singer, and at first blush the Atmos mix of Pieces of Me seems pretty good.

Alan Broadbent has been around forever; he's a jazz pianist and first-call arranger who cut his teeth with Woody Herman. (Among other things, he played in and arranged for Charlie Haden's Quartet West.) Spot-check: the mix sounds full and spacious.

The one I have highest hopes for is the album by Aki Rissanen. Rissanen and his bandmate, trumpeter Verneri Pohjola, are two of the biggest names on the Finnish jazz scene, heirs of a rich legacy that stretches back at least as far as ECM artist Edward Vesala. (Pohjola's father, Pekka, played with Mike Oldfield and was co-founder of the prog band Wigwam.) Seems like British label Edition Records--which also released the Donny McCaslin album that people were rightly impressed by a month or so ago--has committed to Atmos. That's a great sign; I'm down for more adventurous jazz Atmos mixes!

Ledisi is a very good (jazzy) R&B singer, and at first blush the Atmos mix of Pieces of Me seems pretty good.

Alan Broadbent has been around forever; he's a jazz pianist and first-call arranger who cut his teeth with Woody Herman. (Among other things, he played in and arranged for Charlie Haden's Quartet West.) Spot-check: the mix sounds full and spacious.

The one I have highest hopes for is the album by Aki Rissanen. Rissanen and his bandmate, trumpeter Verneri Pohjola, are two of the biggest names on the Finnish jazz scene, heirs of a rich legacy that stretches back at least as far as ECM artist Edward Vesala. (Pohjola's father, Pekka, played with Mike Oldfield and was co-founder of the prog band Wigwam.) Seems like British label Edition Records--which also released the Donny McCaslin album that people were rightly impressed by a month or so ago--has committed to Atmos. That's a great sign; I'm down for more adventurous jazz Atmos mixes!
Ledisi's got a Surround-y enough mix and musically i enjoyed it.

Alan Broadbent sounded beautiful, i got somewhat swept up in it and it moved me to tears at one point.

the Aki Rissanen Atmos is very good with interesting panning, placement and use of the soundfield and musically i loved it 💘

edit: Arin Ray's got a good mix also and the one Irreversible Entanglements preview track was also great, too.

The first of the 2 movies that A24 got the distribution rights for and remastered (in 8K!), Pi, got a 4K UHD release from A24 after its re-release window in theaters ended. I would be shocked if they didn’t do that for Stop Making Sense

It’s getting an IMAX Theatre release on Monday 11th September. I’d think a streaming Atmos release and 4K BDV by end of year.

Just want to mention that the Atmos mix of Stayin’ Alive that is currently available is not the same mix that was originally released.
yes, the original Atmos version had sweeping string parts in the intro and was a completely different mix with different placement of and emphasis on vocals, percussion, etc. i'm kinda torn but think i prefer the original Atmos mix that up until recently was still available on a couple of compilations alongside this newer mix but seems to have disappeared altogether now 👀🤷🏻‍♀️

Even if you don’t like hip-hop I bet you might like this track:

The zenith of hip- hop jazz -fusion IMO.
Thanks woody- added to my Library
-------------------------------------

playa for the hardest workin’

playa for the new Prince

never been another since

won’t slam that jam with the genre bender

Maceo, Maceo, Maceo

can’t keep a good playa down

Hip-Hop, can’t always wear it like a frown

------------------------------------------------------
Good music, is good music.

Guess I shouldn't quit my day job... which is Retirement :)

weirdly, here in the UK it's the same as that quite odd Atmos version from that compilation, with the live concert spoken word intro and sound effects.. 🤯🥴
I'm in the US, and as far as I can tell (having clicked on seemingly every What’s Going On link on Apple), this weird mix has completely replaced the original (and *so* much better) Atmos mix. :(

Last edited:
I'm in the US, and as far as I can tell (having clicked on seemingly every What’s Going On link on Apple), this weird mix has completely replaced the original (and *so* much better) Atmos mix. :(

That is the way Apple Music rolls. if the song title and track time are close every release gets the same copy. To the point of ruining releases like
where the "unique alternate versions" are replaced with the latest Dolby Atmos versions.

Yes. Thank you! Great find. Really hope more Bee Gees stuff is Atmos mixed. Love the production of their stuff.

N Still my favorite boy band... love Bee Gees.and their sooo deserving to be mixed in surround
I'm sure Barry must be very sad to be the oldest n only survivor of the Gibb brothers
Had a mad crush on Andy when I was a teen n still have a slab of vinyl in a box with that sexy chest of his on the cover :)

Thanks woody- added to my Library
-------------------------------------

playa for the hardest workin’

playa for the new Prince

never been another since

won’t slam that jam with the genre bender

Maceo, Maceo, Maceo

can’t keep a good playa down

Hip-Hop, can’t always wear it like a frown

------------------------------------------------------
Good music, is good music.

Guess I shouldn't quit my day job... which is Retirement :)
Sounds like you are ready for the rapping version then…

Back