Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy crap that's a lot of music. Does Apple Music have a way to follow what get released in Atmos and when? I'm guessing not.
Tragically not really. I (and others) use a combination of this thread, r/spatialsongs on Reddit, and looking at the Apple Music “Spatial Audio” “Genre” (as well as new releases in “Browse”).

iOS developer Ben Dodson has this handy Artist search site: Spatial Audio Finder by Ben Dodson
My understanding is that will eventually be merged into this for a super-database:
https://spatialaudiodb.com/
Ben’s data comes from a combo of scraping and a $4 app that checks your Apple Music library for changes daily.

Some of the older albums like Harvest have songs recorded in a studio with discrete tracks, while at the same time some songs are recorded with ambient microphones. What I guess I'm saying is expect some songs from your favorite older albums to have great separation and some not.

Spacehog - In The Meantime. Apple Music and their stupid Atmos/stereo amalgamation makes it sometimes impossible to know...

I watched Guardians of the Galaxy 3 last night on my ATV4K of course; and this song struck me as somewhat familiar and just a damned good Rock song!

Being mainly into 60's-80's music a lot of this later Rock stuff has slipped by me, but I know there are some real gems out there.

I didn't notice that the song had a particularly surroundy feel to it (5.1) while watching the movie, but was wondering how the mix was in Tidal?

I checked Ben Dodson's database, but he says no go for that band in Atmos.

Actually now that I've heard more of the album "Resident Alien" I believe that would make a great Atmos mixed title. Besides, I love the name "Spacehog" :)

There was an atmos mix of in the meantime that was available shortly on apple music. I believe is was an upmix though and apple removed it.

Back