Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Read through it all, and no doubt high res immersive surround would be incredible, but seems like stakeholders are taking their sweet time with roll out. Bandwidth wise, high res surround is not a problem in 2023. Maybe 10 years ago would be difficult but with gig speeds no issue. I wish Apple would push an update to ATV4k to pass up to 192/24.
4mins of music in Dolby Atmos running 48/24 with 30 objects (including beds) is around 1Gb so depends on the music.. real time streaming could suffer depending on what kind of internet service you have.

4mins of music in Dolby Atmos running 48/24 with 30 objects (including beds) is around 1Gb so depends on the music.. real time streaming could suffer depending on what kind of internet service you have.
I assume they’d be streaming in encoded form (TrueHD), which is usually around ~300 MB per song.

A few non-classical things show up that sound intriguing like a 5.1 mix of the Stevie Nicks 'Stand Back' collection

dabl & soundgals: Wow this is huge news but I cant get 5.1 myself... maybe because I don't have the playback capability. What complete platform are you using to play it back? As mentioned my only link to my HT is Mconnect... but I bet you guys are using roon or something that has a Qobuz server built in.
I think you may have either missed or misinterpreted 'they appear to be mislabeled' in my post.

IE neither of these examples are in fact actual 5.1 versions but regular stereo listed with '5.1' in the qobuz title/search results for '#Multichannel'

Looks like there are a whole bunch of the same kind of examples (stereo mislabeled as 5.1) from a qobuz search for #Multichannel

To be clear I'm just using the qobuz pc desktop app.

Last edited:
I am seeing (and hearing) all 4 cuts as Dolby Atmos in the US
Sorry.... I was referring to the two posts after that Heart post that I assumed had content and then replaced with a simple period for whatever reason.

In my head, it was funny to say that a period was only in stereo in an Atmos streaming thread. Some things should simply stay in my head.

I’ll see myself out.

IMG_5691.jpeg

Looks like The Orb is re-imagining their album with David Gilmour, and will be giving it the Atmos treatment. A (stereo only) single is out now

I haven’t followed in detail the fallout between Taylor Swift and Big Machine that has led to the “Taylor’s Version” re-recordings. But is there anything legally that has prevented Big Machine from releasing Atmos mixes of the original recordings still under its control?

I haven’t followed in detail the fallout between Taylor Swift and Big Machine that has led to the “Taylor’s Version” re-recordings. But is there anything legally that has prevented Big Machine from releasing Atmos mixes of the original recordings still under its control?
My understanding is that Big Machine still owns the masters of those recordings, and just the masters. Taylor was able to finagle songwriting/licensing ownership, so the old Big Machine versions can’t be used in movies, for example, without Taylor’s permission.

Presumably since all the Big Machine versions are still up for streaming they can do what they want with them with respect to re-releases etc. The Taylor‘s Versions versions exist so that Taylor can reap as much profit as possible on streaming/songwriting (covers and the like)/ and licensing (movies, TV, commercials etc).

So as far as I can tell they could… but they’d draw the ire of her fanbase so it would be a PR nightmare for Big Machine, but it could be done.

Back