Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was this ever mentioned? The vinyl seems to be in Quad (probably RM or QS according to the hype sticker and album cover).
Yes, not only mentioned but reviewed and praised by myself as well as others. Text below is from 2022:

Please forgive me if I’m posting about something slightly old. I’ve only seen one small post on this here, and it deserves a lot more attention in my opinion. What I’m talking about could be called the first quadrophonic indie release: the album XI Bleed here now from the band …And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead from July 2022. Yep, it’s a brand new quad album from this year, you can hear it in all its glory on Apple Music and it sounds SUPERB.

This is an album with tons of guitars. There’s acoustic picking, electric plucking, droning, vibrating soloing, powerchords, massive walls from all directions and from all of the golden ages of guitar from Pink Floyd to Sonic Youth. Together with a solid rhythm section, this album rocks. As soon as the thumb hits play, any sane person realizes that this kind of music has been begging to be quadrifornicated since forever.

Yes, there’s indie music in Atmos that sounds great. For instance, the crisp surround mix on the track Beach Boy from Benee’s Lychee album is sublime as pretty much the whole of Damon Albarns, Regina Spektors and S:t Vincent’s latest albums. But they’re all something different - either front heavy with atmospheric additions from the back as Benee or some kind of permanently changing experimental collage of sound as the other three. Bleed here now is something else: it is a fully quadraphonic capturing of a band the way some of the 70s records are: at many times it is blasting from all four speakers, bass, drums and all, placing the listener in the middle of a pulsating rock opera. The result is a warm, loud and full sound that just expresses this forceful music in landscape mode. The feeling you get is like when you see a movie where important parts of the action is filmed rather that just being edited digitally and you see that faces, shadows and explosions suddenly look real and realize: so there IS a difference after all! This is how it should look! Yes, you can make surround music from what’s is essentially extensive layering of sounds and effects: by adding swooshing, stretching echoes across the room and inserting new instruments for the chorus. But it will not be the same as if you planned a quadraphonic album from the beginning and then actually played it. When you do something by actually playing it, whether it is music or film, there’s a kind of weight to it, like that thing all human arts gain when you know how hard it is to attain. Acrobatics only get impressive when you perceive the weight of stuff. Only when you see that Maverick needs to breathe heavily before he turns his F18 and see him flinch involuntary after take off you get to full admiration of the flight scenes in the latest Top Gun, scenes that are a result of the ambition to film as much as possible of actors in planes actually flying.

The fact that most of this album is played doesn’t mean that it does not employ the whole catalogue of quad trix. No, there’s a whole bag of rotating synthesizers, voices that pops up in different speakers, percussion instruments in different speakers simultaneously, shifting from stereo to quadraphonic, widening, narrowing, spinning and everything in between. But the fact that it is built organically from a band makes all those acrobatics more serious. I’m not surprised that KamranV is one of the masterminds behind this (which may also be a link to the slightly Suzanne Ciani-looking album cover with the word QUADRAPHONIC in big letters). It takes real knowledge to create such a great mix.

XI Bleed here now may be the Top Gun Maverick for quadraphonic music lovers, letting us know how a modern rock band would sound within a believable old school quadraphonic universe and leaving us craving a lot more. Which is why this may be the first, rather than the last quadraphonic indie record of the 2020s. The team behind it may now be known by the trail of quad albums.

Yes, not only mentioned but reviewed and praised by myself as well as others. Text below is from 2022:

Please forgive me if I’m posting about something slightly old. I’ve only seen one small post on this here, and it deserves a lot more attention in my opinion. What I’m talking about could be called the first quadrophonic indie release: the album XI Bleed here now from the band …And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead from July 2022. Yep, it’s a brand new quad album from this year, you can hear it in all its glory on Apple Music and it sounds SUPERB.

This is an album with tons of guitars. There’s acoustic picking, electric plucking, droning, vibrating soloing, powerchords, massive walls from all directions and from all of the golden ages of guitar from Pink Floyd to Sonic Youth. Together with a solid rhythm section, this album rocks. As soon as the thumb hits play, any sane person realizes that this kind of music has been begging to be quadrifornicated since forever.

Yes, there’s indie music in Atmos that sounds great. For instance, the crisp surround mix on the track Beach Boy from Benee’s Lychee album is sublime as pretty much the whole of Damon Albarns, Regina Spektors and S:t Vincent’s latest albums. But they’re all something different - either front heavy with atmospheric additions from the back as Benee or some kind of permanently changing experimental collage of sound as the other three. Bleed here now is something else: it is a fully quadraphonic capturing of a band the way some of the 70s records are: at many times it is blasting from all four speakers, bass, drums and all, placing the listener in the middle of a pulsating rock opera. The result is a warm, loud and full sound that just expresses this forceful music in landscape mode. The feeling you get is like when you see a movie where important parts of the action is filmed rather that just being edited digitally and you see that faces, shadows and explosions suddenly look real and realize: so there IS a difference after all! This is how it should look! Yes, you can make surround music from what’s is essentially extensive layering of sounds and effects: by adding swooshing, stretching echoes across the room and inserting new instruments for the chorus. But it will not be the same as if you planned a quadraphonic album from the beginning and then actually played it. When you do something by actually playing it, whether it is music or film, there’s a kind of weight to it, like that thing all human arts gain when you know how hard it is to attain. Acrobatics only get impressive when you perceive the weight of stuff. Only when you see that Maverick needs to breathe heavily before he turns his F18 and see him flinch involuntary after take off you get to full admiration of the flight scenes in the latest Top Gun, scenes that are a result of the ambition to film as much as possible of actors in planes actually flying.

The fact that most of this album is played doesn’t mean that it does not employ the whole catalogue of quad trix. No, there’s a whole bag of rotating synthesizers, voices that pops up in different speakers, percussion instruments in different speakers simultaneously, shifting from stereo to quadraphonic, widening, narrowing, spinning and everything in between. But the fact that it is built organically from a band makes all those acrobatics more serious. I’m not surprised that KamranV is one of the masterminds behind this (which may also be a link to the slightly Suzanne Ciani-looking album cover with the word QUADRAPHONIC in big letters). It takes real knowledge to create such a great mix.

XI Bleed here now may be the Top Gun Maverick for quadraphonic music lovers, letting us know how a modern rock band would sound within a believable old school quadraphonic universe and leaving us craving a lot more. Which is why this may be the first, rather than the last quadraphonic indie record of the 2020s. The team behind it may now be known by the trail of quad albums.
It's a great album and mix! JPC has the Quad Blu-ray for a very reasonable 12 Euros at the moment:

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/de...trail-of-dead-xi-bleed-here-now/hnum/10938304

It's funny, on my all analog 5.1 surround system Qobuz sounds way better than Apple music Atmos...probably because Apple music is compressed and Qobuz is not. On a *stellar* recording like Samantha Crain's "Holding on to The Edge of Night" in hi-res (try that on for a test track!) it almost sounds 3D surround just In Stereo in the Q. However...on my friend's true Atmos system, (compressed) Apple music definitely sounds better... so I found that quite interesting.

Related...somewhere I saw a service that is now Pro/commercial only that has true Atmos bandwidth is going to go consumer later this year. Does anyone know what that service is because I for the life of me cannot find it anymore?

It's only a matter of time before streaming goes full bandwidth, but up until that time I'm giving a pass on it when you compare to the real thing.

Maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen Kraftwerk's "Computer Love" on Apple Music Atmos listed here which sounds amazing on a true system.

It's funny, on my all analog 5.1 surround system Qobuz sounds way better than Apple music Atmos...probably because Apple music is compressed and Qobuz is not. On a *stellar* recording like Samantha Crain's "Holding on to The Edge of Night" in hi-res (try that on for a test track!) it almost sounds 3D surround just In Stereo in the Q. However...on my friend's true Atmos system, (compressed) Apple music definitely sounds better... so I found that quite interesting.

Related...somewhere I saw a service that is now Pro/commercial only that has true Atmos bandwidth is going to go consumer later this year. Does anyone know what that service is because I for the life of me cannot find it anymore?

It's only a matter of time before streaming goes full bandwidth, but up until that time I'm giving a pass on it when you compare to the real thing.

Maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen Kraftwerk's "Computer Love" on Apple Music Atmos listed here which sounds amazing on a true system.

It looks like Artist Connection is the host, and the company that will provide the consumer experience is unnamed (redacted in this article) and aims to launch Fall 2023. However, it doesn't look like Artist Connection's plans support High Res Atmos - just 360, AURA-3D and PCM and "approve Atmos on iOS" - whatever that means. Odd choice to include Sonys basically dead format and not Dolby.

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/imme...resolution-immersive-streaming-service-r1195/

I wonder if M-Connect works in Mch. As is pretty well known, there is no Qobuz connect active yet so MC (via Android phone) is the only way I can get the hi-res stream to my Oppo 205. No roon/streaming DAC/etc as of yet. Just the Oppo feeding an Audio Reseach analog Mch preamp into McCormack amp. Speakers are (for the old-schoolers here): Innovative Audio custim 10" woofer cabinet speakers (L/R/C) in front, Acoustic Reseach Phantom 8.3 for rear surround...and finished off with a very potent hidden dual 10" subtable for the lowest of lows.

5.1 max "only" but the simple setup in my 11x14 enclosed perfect rectangle of a room yields simply unmatched (by digital) glorious anaog sound.

Last edited:
It looks like Artist Connection is the host

That's it--I recognize the home page... and that was the exact article I was referring to. I'll monitor what they do in the Fall. Considering I may get the Sony 360 HT-A9 ststem to augment my above described rig...that may work rather well if it actually gets off the ground.

Last edited:
It looks like Artist Connection is the host, and the company that will provide the consumer experience is unnamed (redacted in this article) and aims to launch Fall 2023. However, it doesn't look like Artist Connection's plans support High Res Atmos - just 360, AURA-3D and PCM and "approve Atmos on iOS" - whatever that means. Odd choice to include Sonys basically dead format and not Dolby.

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/imme...resolution-immersive-streaming-service-r1195/
The author of that article fell short on his research. I had to stop after this
"On May 17, 2021 Apple launched Dolby Atmos spatial audio on its Apple Music streaming service, opening the flood gates of immersive music. Following shortly after were Amazon Music and Tidal, the later also supporting Sony 360 Reality Audio."

Actually Amazon launched first in Fall 2019, then Tidal at the end of 2019, then Apple in June 2021. Also his spelling misses the mark.

The author of that article fell short on his research. I had to stop after this
"On May 17, 2021 Apple launched Dolby Atmos spatial audio on its Apple Music streaming service, opening the flood gates of immersive music. Following shortly after were Amazon Music and Tidal, the later also supporting Sony 360 Reality Audio."

Actually Amazon launched first in Fall 2019, then Tidal at the end of 2019, then Apple in June 2021. Also his spelling misses the mark.
You should’ve read the whole article :~)

Back