Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, sorry to report it's now stereo for me, too. But I swear when I played it the other morning, it was def Atmos. Not only did it sound better than it does now (in stereo, through my AVR's Dolby Surround Upmixer), but I made a point of clicking on the song "info" and verifying that it was Atmos.
Hey @scooob: I wrote to Wilco HQ and was told that the entire album has been mixed for Atmos by Battery Studios, with Tom Schick overseeing. (Sony, for some reason, is handling the upload to Apple Music. They're doing distribution for Wilco's label dBpm, I guess? Or is it just that Sony owns Battery?) I suspect we'll see the entire album on or around its release date. They dodged my question about whether we could expect to see a physical release.

Last edited:
can't see the Atmos rendering on Apple Music UK yet 😬🤞
You're not missing much... on my 5.1 system, it's nothing but very weak ambience in the center and rears. Unless there's a lot of content in the heights and sides, which seems unlikely, it's an extremely disappointing mix, even by live album standards.

Anyone else notice some distortion in the front left speaker about a minute into “Heart and Soul” (during the first chorus)?

I though my speaker was going, but it sounds like this in headphones as well…
Indeed right when the pre chorus starts at :44 there's some glitch happening.
Pretty fun mix on the album though. I thought bass guitar was a bit low in general.
Good use of rear speakers in 5.1. Is anything happening in sides in 7.1?
Heights, whatever haha.
Some really solid songs!!
Walking on a thin line was a cool surprise for me.

Indeed right when the pre chorus starts at :44 there's some glitch happening.
Pretty fun mix on the album though. I thought bass guitar was a bit low in general.
Good use of rear speakers in 5.1. Is anything happening in sides in 7.1?
Heights, whatever haha.
Some really solid songs!!
Walking on a thin line was a cool surprise for me.
The sides were getting heavier use than the rears on the tracks I've listened thus far - the sax solo towards the end of "The Heart Of Rock 'n' Roll" was almost entirely isolated in the right side speaker. The 'flyover' intro to that track made fun use of the heights, but I didn't notice much up there after that. Bass guitar, kick drum, lead vocal, and a good bit of lead guitar almost 100% in the center speaker, in typical Clearmountain fashion.

Pharoah live, on David Byrne's Luaka Bop label. (Where Floating Points' collaboration with Sanders, Promises, also appeared, last year. That album just got an Atmos upgrade; see @PurpleMoustache's post, below.)

These are important historical performances that are included on an expanded reissue of the storied 1976 album Pharoah--which also showed up yesterday on Apple Music, in high-res stereo only. I'd like to get a physical copy of the full release for the booklet and the original album tracks. But I'm not sure how much this EP warrants an "Atmos" label. Track 1 is effectively a mono recording, and on my system there's sound coming out of the left front and center speakers only. Somebody goofed? Track 2, at least, is 5.0, with some spacey round-the-room pans starting two-thirds of the way through. (Beware, though: the sound quality is like a better-than-average audience recording.)

Last edited:
Nathaniel Reichman is one of the handful of classical mixers who truly gets Atmos; his previous work on orchestral & chamber pieces by JLA has been outstanding. This one is a different challenge: solo bass. But it's pretty amazing. Reichman designed some Atmos-oriented immersive reverbs for the true solo stuff, with amazing results. (Listen for overtones, resonance & decay, and scratchy bow and string sounds in the rears and overheads. I've never heard that kind of subtle "separation" from a single instrument.) The bassist, Robert Black, has technique that produces sounds you've never heard from this instrument. And the title piece, "Darkness and Scattered Light": five basses, overdubbed, spread throughout the virtual space. Turn it up loud! It's got a thrum that'll mess with your heartbeat.

Last edited:
Strongly resisting the urge to listen on Apple Music prior to receiving the box set on Monday.... Feeling weak......
Who's Next, I am going to resist, and mine isn't released until Sept 27th from Japan as I bundled with some other releases. Shoot, but I also have signs of weakness, but so far, no listen.

Back