Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I expect most of you are aware but only just noticed myself if you simply remove the non Atmos track/tracks from the album in your library the heading then shows the album as Dolby Atmos as opposed to just lossless.
I’m listening to this on Apple TV 4K. After checking it’s the same on my IPhone. The second track is transposed with the 5th track ie The 2nd titled ‘The Kids Are Alright’ track plays as ‘Pictures Of Lily’ and the 5th track ‘Pictures Of Lily’ plays as ‘ The Kids Are Alright’. The whole album shows as Dolby Atmos on Apple TV even though ‘The Seeker’ is Lossless and in Stereo. For me ‘ I Can See For Miles’ that I’ve only ever heard in Mono is a standout. I would hope so given the subject matter. My Generation, Magic Bus, Pinball Wizard, Substitute are also pretty good. The mislabeled ‘The Kids Are Alright’ is great also.

I had forgotten how interesting some of these early songs are.

Last edited:
On the Iphone and Ipads, IOS 17 added view credits by pressing the three dots and scrolling to the bottom to Available Audio Quality. There Lossless and Dolby Atmos appears. It doesn't say mixer just producer. Also IOS 17, finally added crossfade which is nice in Shuffle mode. Unfortuanely, I do not believe ATV4k added crossfade.

Looks like the new credits feature in Apple Music is a flop for knowing details about spatial audio mixes. Hopefully it gets better.
Like any metadata, the responsibility lies with who ever had the job of filing out those boxes when the music was uploaded.

Ah--here's what's behind these: his death in a plane crash was fifty years ago.
https://www.honest-broker.com/p/jim-croce-and-me

One of the many lost to chartered aircraft mishaps and bad judgement.

On the night of Thursday, September 20, 1973, during Croce's Life and Times tour and the day before his ABC single "I Got a Name" was released, Croce and five others were killed when their chartered Beechcraft E18S crashed into a tree during takeoff from the Natchitoches Regional Airport in Natchitoches, Louisiana.
Croce was 30 years old.
Others killed in the crash were pilot Robert N. Elliott, Croce's bandmate Maury Muehleisen, comedian George Stevens, manager and booking agent Kenneth D. Cortese, and road manager Dennis Rast.
An hour before the crash, Croce had completed a concert at Northwestern State University's Prather Coliseum in Natchitoches; he was flying to Sherman, Texas, for a concert at Austin College.

An investigation by the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) named the probable cause as the pilot's failure to see the obstruction due to physical impairment and because fog reduced his vision.
The 57-year-old Elliott suffered from severe coronary artery disease and had run three miles to the airport from a motel.
He had an ATP certificate, 14,290 hours total flight time, and 2,190 hours in the Beech 18 type airplane.
A later investigation placed the sole blame on pilot error because of his downwind takeoff into a "black hole" of severe darkness, limiting his use of visual references.

Like any metadata, the responsibility lies with who ever had the job of filing out those boxes when the music was uploaded.
Are you suggesting that Tidal, Apple Music, etc. receive music files without credit information pre-populated and the streaming service enters credit information?

I’m more inclined to believe that the individual streaming service decides what field(s) for credits to display which explains the discrepancy between Tidal and Apple Music.

Enjoying Huey Lewis - Sports! It's a cool mix that accentuates and provides room for details and effects of the music, revealing the layers of the production. I even heard a few details that were completely imperceptible in the stereo mixes, like some tiny vocal bits by Huey.

It's also interesting to discover how often they actually used echoes. Clearmountain made the wise choice to always move them to their own channels. Really opens up the experience.

Funny that Huey's "mmm-mmm" at the very beginning of "Bad is Bad" is missing, though! I wonder if it was an oversight or a choice? Either way, doesn't bother me. I know all the Huey stuff inside-out so much, any change is actually refreshing ;-)

Enjoying Huey Lewis - Sports! It's a cool mix that accentuates and provides room for details and effects of the music, revealing the layers of the production. I even heard a few details that were completely imperceptible in the stereo mixes, like some tiny vocal bits by Huey.

It's also interesting to discover how often they actually used echoes. Clearmountain made the wise choice to always move them to their own channels. Really opens up the experience.

Funny that Huey's "mmm-mmm" at the very beginning of "Bad is Bad" is missing, though! I wonder if it was an oversight or a choice? Either way, doesn't bother me. I know all the Huey stuff inside-out so much, any change is actually refreshing ;-)
Personally I like the previous (standalone) mix of “The Heart Of Rock & Roll” much better than Bob Clearmountain’s mix.

Back