Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I found out the brand new album from The Beaches, a Canadian girl group about to break out worldwide, has been released in Atmos on Apple music. This is by far their most accessible album (and best AQ) and should sound great in Atmos. .Oh no...*not* what I needed to see..I may have to get that service in addition to Qobuz.

Somebody here who has a great Atmos setup and preferably a fan of the band, let me know how good this sounds!

FB_IMG_1695562452634.jpg

The Band - ‘The Band’ Classic Album in Dolby Atmos is up on Apple Music… and its fabulous on my system!!!! ...Also pretty good on AirPod Pros
I liked the new Big Pink Atmos much more than either 5.1 rendition, but for this one I think I definitely prefer the 2019 5.1 mix. This version sounds kind of thin and disjointed on my system, and you can really hear the limitations of the source material straining his placement options (to the point where there's often a dead channel). There's one song where a guitar part is in side left for the verse, then randomly switches to rear left for the chorus - it's like he suddenly realized "oh, there's a speaker I haven't used yet".

I liked the new Big Pink Atmos much more than either 5.1 rendition, but for this one I think I definitely prefer the 2019 5.1 mix. This version sounds kind of thin and disjointed on my system, and you can really hear the limitations of the source material straining his placement options (to the point where there's often a dead channel). There's one song where a guitar part is in side left for the verse, then randomly switches to rear left for the chorus - it's like he suddenly realized "oh, there's a speaker I haven't used yet".
I listened to some of the songs in the context of a playlist yesterday on my larger system and I tend to agree. The 5.1 is full, rich and first class. The volume on this Atmos version seems lower than Big Pink, or even Who’s Next, Pet Sounds, Revolver and certainly modern releases, something that wasn’t as obvious when played as a single album.

Had tickets to see these tonight. Wanted to of only to ask them if they even knew their release was in Atmos.... but opted to see Girlband instead....(if you can work out where I am you.. get naff all)

They sound OK though.."death drive" isn't terrible and reminds me of the Chapmans

I listened to some of the songs in the context of a playlist yesterday on my larger system and I tend to agree. The 5.1 is full, rich and first class. The volume on this Atmos version seems lower than Big Pink, or even Who’s Next, Pet Sounds, Revolver and certainly modern releases, something that wasn’t as obvious when played as a single album.
Whenever I listen to an ATMOS mix that seems underwhelming, the first thing I do is to turn the volume up. In many cases, I’m smiling after. In my experience, most ATMOS mixes are quieter than stereo and conventional surround mix counterparts, but they are also more dynamic. Turn it up and play it loud. ( remember when they used to print that on vinyl labels?)

Back