Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The drumless version of Random Access Memory is such a revelation! It sounds like a completely new album, a fresh way of listening to these tracks. The Atmos mix is great. My favourite mixes are Giorgio by Moroder and Lose Yourself to Dance. A must listen!
Again, Amazon music is totally inconsistent, tracks 3, 4 & 7 off this are in Sony 360 format and the rest in Atmos. Like wtf?? Apple has the whole album in Atmos. Definitely sticking with Apple going forwards.

Has the self titled album from Mr Big been released on Apple atmos yet, I believe the physical release has been out for a while and it recently one or was nominated for a surround music award

I’m not in a position to listen to this now, but I saw a full page ad for this album in the new Prog magazine (cover story on 90125) and it very clearly calls out that it’s available in Atmos... which it is. Not an album I would have thought as being an album in Atmos, but the more the merrier, I suppose.

The ad also says “Dolby Atmos Digital Download.” Steve’s site hasn’t been updated in a while and the Cargo Records site is getting work done. Don’t know if they’ll offer that as a true Atmos download of if it really means just a general digital download.

Last edited:
I’m not in a position to listen to this now, but I saw a full page ad for this album in the new Prog magazine (cover story on 90125) and it very clearly calls out that it’s available in Atmos... which it is. Not an album I would have thought as being an album in Atmos, but the more the merrier, I suppose.

The ad also says “Dolby Atmos Digital Download.” Steve’s site hasn’t been updated in a while and the Cargo Records site is getting work done. Don’t know if they’ll offer that as a true Atmos download of if it really means just a general digital download.

Listened and checked from Tidal Atmos.

Being only an instrument, acoustic guitar, I didn't have much hope that they had done something interesting with Dolby Atmos.
On a first listen, it looked to me just stereo with a copy of the fronts to the side surrounds, decreased in volume, and without any change or reverb, as I checked on a first listen. Rest of channels seemed to be empty.

But when comparing with Apple Music Atmos, and matching volumes (Tidal is so low, dialnorm...) I've found more reverb content on rears and minimal on Tops. It looks now better immersive acoustic guitar. Just increase the volume.

As for music, it is always very pleasant to listen to Steve Howe guitar and remember varied chords in various songs from Clap or Oceans.

EDITED: Sorry, I changed this post after previous insufficient analysis on my part

Last edited:
I just listened to Rage Against the Machine in Atmos. I enjoyed it to some extent, but I prefer the stereo mix. The crash cymbals in the rears are strange to me. Also, I could hear editing that I never noticed before. There seemed to be unintentional weirdness at times - like subtle volume or panning shifts that didn't make sense (I'm curious if data compression has anything to do with it). In Freedom, there is a snare drum fill before the guitar solo around 2;08 - the snare suddenly dropped out almost completely! (Can anyone else confirm that?)

I also listened to some of Deerhoof's Miracle-Level and really enjoyed that.

Is the “Lean into It” Dolby Atmos version available on Tidal? I don’t see it
If you specifically know an album that you want to check to see if it is in Atmos, use the app on a phone or a tablet. First search the band. Then select any album from that band. Then select see more albums from this artist. That list should show every album in every format. I have had a 99% success rate, using that method.

If you specifically know an album that you want to check to see if it is in Atmos, use the app on a phone or a tablet. First search the band. Then select any album from that band. Then select see more albums from this artist. That list should show every album in every format. I have had a 99% success rate, using that method.
Mustn't your phone support Atmos for this to work?

Back