Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Avalon mix sounds great although I did have to turn off the center channel. Some mixes overload the center channel and makes the presentation sound narrow. Redirected to my full range mains sound much better. Turned the center channel back on for Chaka Kahn and it sounds perfectly blended, although CK has dial norm issues, but that's another story. No volume issues with Avalon.
I have noticed with the some of last few Bob C atmos mixes a heavier use of the center speaker, also striking me the same way, where the mix at times seems to sort of collapse into the middle. I guess he likes it and/or doesn't hear it that way.

Is the mix any good? I think it's by a pretty lame surround sound mixing engineer.
Having listened a couple days ago… sadly not really. Which is a shame as The Avalanches, an all timer surround wishlist band of mine feature on a couple tracks (just one credited but apparently there’s a second one). Maybe when their fourth album comes out maybe… (as an aside, the spacey sound of their 2020 album We Will Always Love You lends itself to an Atmos upmix splendidly)

For me only Avalon is in Atmos but it's the same mix as on the Best Of compilation.
The Atmos mix of Avalon the song sounds much different on the Avalon album than Best of compilation. The center channel blends better with the fronts on The Best of version.

I have noticed with the some of last few Bob C atmos mixes a heavier use of the center speaker, also striking me the same way, where the mix at times seems to sort of collapse into the middle. I guess he likes it and/or doesn't hear it that way.

I would rather it blend with the fronts to create a natural soundstage like the majority of mixes.

Bill Charlap Trio live at the Village Vanguard in Atmos.
Very wide sound field, little center signal, but plenty of phantom content from the bass.

Downbeat editor's pick: https://downbeat.com/reviews/editorspicks/august-2024#14904

...And Then Again, transports the listener back to the Vanguard during a much more recent Saturday evening performance where Charlap and trio find themselves truly in their element and at the epitome of their creative powers.
In its 27-year existence, the group has evolved to levels of seamless interaction and extrasensory communication exhibited only in the best of the best ensembles in jazz history. In the group’s discography, a micro-canon of piano-trio language and repertoire,
And Then Again hits as especially open and free, seemingly leading away from an outsize book of hundreds of tunes and arrangements and more toward a strategy of inspired intuitiveness. Spontaneous interplay and interpretive flow are the takeaway on this set of exquisitely executed bebop and ballads...

The Atmos mix of Avalon the song sounds much different on the Avalon album than Best of compilation. The center channel blends better with the fronts on The Best of version.
I heard them again and still didn't notice any differences 🤷‍♂️
Anyway, still no full album in Atmos.

Back