Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I listened to the whole thing and didn't experience any of these problems. Everything showed up as Atmos for me and I heard all the vocals. I am downmixing to 5.1, but it sounded phenomenal.
I tried again after reading your reply and every track is now in Dolby Atmos with vocals. I rebooted my apple 4k tv and my Anthem AVM70 processor before trying to stream Avalon again. Now I can check the streaming Dolby Atmos Avalon vs my 5.1 Avalon blu ray to see which version I prefer. Very strange as this has never happened before.

Yes. In the first ten seconds alone you can hear substantial differences. On the Best of version, the opening synth chord is planted firmly in the rear left. On the Avalon album version, it pans from rear left to rear right. Also, on the Avalon album version, there is no guitar at the very beginning. On the Best of, the guitar is the first thing you hear.

Again, I am downmixing to 5.1, so that may play a part, but for me the two mixes are certainly different.
Yes, they are very different. It was the center channel that gave it away instantly to me.

It may have simply been delayed for some reason. You weren't the only one not finding the full album and it was sorted out earlier today.
Has anyone else have instrumental tracks with no vocals with Avalon? That never happened to me before with streaming music.

It’s here!!! (In the US)

I got a chance to hear the whole album and it's a "Meh" for me.
The mix is very front centered with secondary instruments mostly in the surrounds. I hardly heard heights activity. It's sounds more like a 5.1 mix, and sadly not an adventurous one.
Funny enough, the most heights active track is the last short instrumental one (Tara).

Now that I can really compare the album versions of "Avalon" & "More Than This" with the "Best Of" versions, I can say that I much more prefer the "Best Of" versions. It's more engaging, adventurous and just fun.

Also, on the new "Avalon" mix I'm pretty sure that someone there forgot to add the Hi-hat. Or just hid it very well.
On the "Best of" mix the Hi-hat is very pronounced and the percussion shaker is second in line.
On the new mix the shaker steps up to the front but the Hi-hat is no where to be heard. It least not to my ears. And for that, the new version sound more muted & lifeless to my ears. It's probably Bob's creative decision to do that but I'm not a fan of it.

I really hope they won't swap the "Best of" versions for these new one.

After the album listening session I wanted to remind myself what a good Atmos mix sounds like and I went with Steven Wilson's mix for TFF "The Hurting", and my god! does he know how to do an Atmos mix...So engaging, so immersive.
Long Live the king SW!

In the Court of the Crimson King and Larks' Tongues in Aspic are waiting outside as well.
I'm not sure that's the same. DGM is a law unto itself and has released no streaming Atmos as far as I am aware. There are precedents for Yes and Gentle Giant and their more standard record companies, with 'The Yes Album' and 'In'terview'. It seems more like an error than a deliberate decision.

Who mixed the The Best of Roxy Music Atmos release?
1000009217.jpg

Last edited:
Has anyone else have instrumental tracks with no vocals with Avalon? That never happened to me before with streaming music.
Apple Music has a karaoke button on which one can adjust the level of the vocals. It is a little hard to find. While the song is playing, push the enter button on the remote and look for the microphone icon. I hit it accidentally once and removed Paul Simon's vocal. It's another thing I wish Apple would remove, along with the shuffle button and animated album covers.

I don't recall seeing this one here yet. U2 ZOO TV (Live in Dublin, 1993). Unfortunately not the whole show but just a handful of songs. Quite the mystery, as a fabulous sounding bootleg of this has been around since forever. Anyway: Mysterious Ways is the first track that is available and it is in Atmos (here in the Netherlands). The whole EP will follow next Friday, 30 August. Will be worth it for the utterly mesmerising version of Love is Blindness alone! Fingers crossed for some brilliant Atmos on that huge guitar solo.

Back