Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I heard them again and still didn't notice any differences 🤷‍♂️
Anyway, still no full album in Atmos.
I believe you are right. Apple has done something wrong here. Just compared with Tidal (who keeps albums mixes intact, no song shuffling). The song Avalon on the Avalon album on Apple is the same mix as on the Best of album on Tidal (at least here in Norway). Have experienced this before with other artist on Apple music. The two mixes of Avalon are quite different and you don't really need to hear more than a few seconds to tell them apart. The second sound appearing pans front (weak) to back (strong) on the left side in the Best of version, while it starts left front and makes almost a full counterclockwise turn in Clearmountain's mix. Can't compare it with the best of album on Apple, it doesn't show on the Apple TV. Only shows as Preview on my phone.

I believe you are right. Apple has done something wrong here. Just compared with Tidal (who keeps albums mixes intact, no song shuffling). The song Avalon on the Avalon album on Apple is the same mix as on the Best of album on Tidal (at least here in Norway). Have experienced this before with other artist on Apple music. The two mixes of Avalon are quite different and you don't really need to hear more than a few seconds to tell them apart. The second sound appearing pans front (weak) to back (strong) on the left side in the Best of version, while it starts left front and makes almost a full counterclockwise turn in Clearmountain's mix. Can't compare it with the best of album on Apple, it doesn't show on the Apple TV. Only shows as Preview on my phone.

Clearly the label or Apple screwed up and did not provide the new Atmos release to Apple on the announced date. Patience, it will come.

Roxy Music - Avalon came up as Dolby Atmos in Apple Music today and is pretty screwed up. I only sampled tracks for a few seconds but only India & Tara came up in Dolby Atmos. The rest of the tracks were Dolby Surround. Also there were no vocals on the tracks More than This & Avalon. I didn’t play any other tracks for any length so vocals may not be on the other tracks either.

Roxy Music - Avalon came up as Dolby Atmos in Apple Music today and is pretty screwed up. I only sampled tracks for a few seconds but only India & Tara came up in Dolby Atmos. The rest of the tracks were Dolby Surround. Also there were no vocals on the tracks More than This & Avalon. I didn’t play any other tracks for any length so vocals may not be on the other tracks either.

I listened to the whole thing and didn't experience any of these problems. Everything showed up as Atmos for me and I heard all the vocals. I am downmixing to 5.1, but it sounded phenomenal.

I listened to the whole thing and didn't experience any of these problems. Everything showed up as Atmos for me and I heard all the vocals. I am downmixing to 5.1, but it sounded phenomenal.
Did the song Avalon sound different than the Best of version?

Did the song Avalon sound different than the Best of version?

Yes. In the first ten seconds alone you can hear substantial differences. On the Best of version, the opening synth chord is planted firmly in the rear left. On the Avalon album version, it pans from rear left to rear right. Also, on the Avalon album version, there is no guitar at the very beginning. On the Best of, the guitar is the first thing you hear.

Again, I am downmixing to 5.1, so that may play a part, but for me the two mixes are certainly different.

Back