Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting down to that Motown sound

1574218776857.png
Michael McDonald Motown Two

which I was fortunate enough to have found for $17.97 delivered to my door--thanks to the patented @edisonbaggins method as elucidated on Life in Surround

Getting down to that Motown sound

View attachment 44101 Michael McDonald Motown Two

which I was fortunate enough to have found for $17.97 delivered to my door--thanks to the patented @edisonbaggins method as elucidated on Life in Surround
I'm having a hard time scoring bargains now, because of that damn video.
:D

Comrade! You put the TRUe in altruistic! and at the risk of making you sick, peep the DVD-A I found for . . . best not tell you

View attachment 44102
Steely Dan Gaucho

Stay Surrounded, Comrade!
I have the DTS and SACD. AND just scored the DVD-A pretty affordably on discogs!

Same here, Mikey. Who said THREE'S A CROWD?? GOTCHA, GAUCHO!
I'm wondering if, having learned what I did for my last video, about DSD and (lack of) bass-managent, if the DVD-A and SACD will sound the same on my OPPO?! The DTS and SACD certainly have differences.

I'm wondering if, having learned what I did for my last video, about DSD and (lack of) bass-managent, if the DVD-A and SACD will sound the same on my OPPO?! The DTS and SACD certainly have differences.

The DTS is lossy [but still sounds great] and I prefer my DVD~Audio only because my player [the Meridian 800 .... finally repaired] is a champ. But since the album was so well recorded and mixed by the esteemed E. Scheiner, all formats sound credible.

Absolutely and there's also a DVD with DTS 5.1 if you cannot find the DTS disc. Audiophile recording as well. Would be agreat candidate for the full hi res Dutton Vocalion treatment.

https://www.discogs.com/Dave-Grusin-Dave-Grusin-Presents-West-Side-Story/release/11662144
My new, still in shrink wrap, DVD copy of this in DD 5.1 arrived today. and I played it immediately! Absolutely wonderful! The arrangements, the playing, and the mixing are all marvelous! I’ve heard this music since I was born. The movie and soundtrack were often played in my house and I have a strong emotional attachment to this music. I was a little worried that the new arrangements might bother me a little, but they didn’t at all...and I have to admit, the music even coaxed out a couple of tears this evening!

Thank you all for turning me on to this release! This is what it’s all about!

David

The DTS is lossy [but still sounds great] and I prefer my DVD~Audio only because my player [the Meridian 800 .... finally repaired] is a champ. But since the album was so well recorded and mixed by the esteemed E. Scheiner, all formats sound credible.
I have heard - not sure if accurate - that the DTS mix is different than the SACD/DVD-A mix. The DTS was first, then some refinements were made by the time the SACD and DVD-A were issued.

Back