Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
have you heard the Japanese Quad of WGO, Clem? :QQlove
NO!😫 Damn! I would LOVE to hear that! Maybe some belly rub music will assuage my pain

1586128761782.png
Marvin Gaye Let's Get It On

POLL

there's a dusty old lovely old Japanese Quad of that one, too 😉

"Dusty" and "old" are certainly good descriptors of the copy I received a few days ago - "crackly" and "noisy" would also work quite well. Japanese CD-4's are generally a good bet, but whoever owned this record prior to me seriously abused it :(

marvin_cd4.jpg

I do much prefer this mix to the 5.1, but IMHO the surround mix of the title track on The Marvin Gaye Collection is the best of the bunch.

"Dusty" and "old" are certainly good descriptors of the copy I received a few days ago - "crackly" and "noisy" would also work quite well. Japanese CD-4's are generally a good bet, but whoever owned this record prior to me seriously abused it :(

View attachment 48813

I do much prefer this mix to the 5.1, but IMHO the surround mix of the title track on The Marvin Gaye Collection is the best of the bunch.

i'm v.sorry to hear that 🙁
it's cold comfort right now but it is mercifully one of the more common Motown CD-4's and comes up for ok money more regularly than all bar one or two of the live Motown CD-4's.

there's a slim possibility the crackliness is compacted crud and dust in the grooves from repeated plays with non-Shibata type stylii as much as any mistreatment..?

maybe a few plays with a Shibata to rake some of the shit out and a few good spins through the record cleaning process of your choice will make a difference (if you haven't done so already, i'm sure you have knowing you 🙂 ).
also, fwiw, i've a little carbon bristle stylus cleaning brush which i deemed a bit too stiff to clean my more exotic stylii that sometimes comes in handy for disc cleaning, i have known it on occasion literally scoop clumps of dust out of some old records!

Back