Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
excellent! my follow-on question would be;

be it up-rez'd to 96 from the 88.1 of the SACD, like Gaucho? 🧐

or be it actual 96k source with suitably advanced res info and no ultrasonic noise? 🤔

there be a copy of the DVD-A on Discogs for our QQ-ers "Down Under" for around six quid, that there be! 😱

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/3169735?ev=rb

Be it up~rez'd from the 88.1 of the SACD???? ........ What came first Adam .... the chicken or the egg? The DVD~A came first and then came the SACD. And all I know is the album was mastered by Bernie Grundman and for the album's cover, Dave's hair was styled by Lance Lappin and his wardrobe was created by Sofia Garcia. And I have NO idea who his dentist was to ensure his pearly white smile.

See the source image

SAY AAAHHHHH ... you saxy sexophone hound

Last edited:
Listening (again) to the Super Furry Animals' Rings Around the World.

I think this one gets short shrift here because it's a DD5.1 DVD-V, but I couldn't reccomend it more highly - I think you'd struggle to find a 2000's album (aside from maybe The Flaming Lips) with a more aggressive surround mix.

And like The Flaming Lips, SFA are kind of an amalgamation of every style of pop songwriting, performance and production from the 60s to present, but SFA's songwriting knocks the Flaming Lips in to a cocked hat - tracks like Presidential Suite, Juxtaposed with U and (A) Touch Sensitive for me are of near-classic status. IIRC this was Mojo magazine's album of the year for 2001 and also a Mercury Music Prize nominee.

The DVD also includes 5 (very good) non-album tracks also mixed in real 5.1. On discogs the PAL version starts at $3 and the NTSC version starts at $13 - if you're in search of something new/good to listen to, give this one a chance.

Thanks for the recommendation Dave. Also ordered a NTSC Copy used~VG from AmazonUS shipped w/tax for under $12.

Be it up~rez'd from the 88.1 of the SACD???? ........ What came first Adam .... the chicken or the egg? The DVD~A came first and then came the SACD. And all I know is the album was mastered by Bernie Grundman and for the album's cover, Dave's hair was styled by Lance Lappin and his wardrobe was created by Sofia Garcia. And I have NO idea who his dentist was to ensure his pearly white smile.

See the source image

SAY AAAHHHHH ... you saxy sexophone hound

where did you get that info from Ralph?

ordinarily with the Universal 5.1's of that timeframe they were released first on SACD and then on DVD-Audio.

edit: i should clarify, there were also some titles, a mere handful of Universal Surround titles that were released first on DTS CD, then on SACD and then on DVD-Audio (including; The Police "Every Breath You Take", Sting "Brand New Day", Diana Krall "Love Scenes", Steely Dan "Gaucho", Vince Gill "High Lonesome Sounds")

Last edited:
where did you get that info from Ralph?

ordinarily with the Universal 5.1's of that timeframe they were released first on SACD and then on DVD-Audio.

I do recall, Adam, that Universal initially went the DVD~A route then switched over to SACD because after investing heavily in my Meridian 800 DVD~A reference player, Universal pulled the plug on DVD~A and went exclusively SACD and I WAS PISSED.

EDIT: Yes, DTS CDs from Universal were re~released on BOTH DVD~A and SACD

Last edited:
I do recall, Adam, that Universal initially went the DVD~A route then switched over to SACD because after investing heavily in my Meridian 800 DVD~A reference player, Universal pulled the plug on DVD~A and went exclusively SACD and I WAS PISSED.

Diana Krall's Love Scenes was one that was issued on DVD-Audio in '03 and subsequently on SACD in '04 but a number of others were out on SACD before DVD-Audio (Gaucho, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Michael McDonald's Motown, timeagain..)

fortify that "old wine" with a tumbler of brandy and you've got vintage Port! 😂
Or back in the good old days, when I asked a young lady, what she would like to drink...

'I'll have a Brandy and Babycham please!!'

Not on my wages you won't luv!! :D

Attachments

• 760dd535f7ad3e20a31ff52d91389a18--s-party-english-food.jpg
    760dd535f7ad3e20a31ff52d91389a18--s-party-english-food.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 90
Diana Krall's Love Scenes was one that was issued on DVD-Audio in '03 and subsequently on SACD in '04 but a number of others were out on SACD before DVD-Audio (Gaucho, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Michael McDonald's Motown, timeagain..)

Spectral analyses of Beck's Sea Change and Steely Dan's Gaucho on DVD-A show ultrasonic noise above 30k, pretty much confirming they took the DSD masters and converted them to PCM.

From what I recall, Adam, Universal, Capitol, TELARC, CHESKY released on DVD~Audio first and then switched over to SACD, exclusively. SONY aggressively ensured that their format would be numero uno and spent big bucks luring these companies to SACD.

Only RHINO/WARNER continued releasing in the DVD~Audio format.

From what I recall, Adam, Universal, Capitol, TELARC, CHESKY released on DVD~Audio first and then switched over to SACD, exclusively. SONY aggressively ensured that their format would be numero uno and spent big bucks luring these companies to SACD.

Only RHINO/WARNER continued releasing in the DVD~Audio format.

well i recall having eyes of blue and a girlish figure back in 2003 but dayum will ya look at that photographic evidence that doesn't back it all up! 🤩 😉

what did Capitol do in 5.1 on SACD after their initial DVD-Audio burst, circa 2002/2003?

do you mean the Blue Note Surround SACD stuff (e.g. Norah Jones, Bob Belden, Dianne Reeves, Bill Charlap).. none of that was on DVD-A first, or at all fwiw.

well i recall having eyes of blue and a girlish figure back in 2003 but dayum will ya look at that photographic evidence that doesn't back it all up! 🤩 😉

what did Capitol do in 5.1 on SACD after their initial DVD-Audio burst, circa 2002/2003?

do you mean the Blue Note Surround SACD stuff (e.g. Norah Jones, Bob Belden, Dianne Reeves, Bill Charlap).. none of that was on DVD-A first, or at all fwiw.

ONLY DSOTM which was initially slated for DVD~A.

Those Blue Notes you mentioned were SACD only ..... and the only DVD~A Blue Notes were done by DTS Entertainment.

ONLY DSOTM which was initially slated for DVD~A.

Those Blue Notes you mentioned were SACD only ..... and the only DVD~A Blue Notes were done by DTS Entertainment.

as we both know that DSOTM 5.1 was an exception and only on SACD at Pink Floyd and Guthrie's insistence 🙂

as we both know that DSOTM 5.1 was an exception and only on SACD at Pink Floyd and Guthrie's insistence 🙂

What I DO know is that senseless format war confused the public and doomed both formats.....but what salvaged SACD was it's 'hybrid' ability compatible with RBCD players and adoption by most classical labels.......and a credible reason Dutton Vocalion has resurrected it for their fabulous QUAD reissues.

And regarding DSOTM ..... it WAS pre~announced as an MLP DVD~A on the Capitol Label until SONY made Capitol an offer they couldn't refuse. Wish I could find THAT article. IMO, release of DSOTM on SACD singlehandedly doomed the DVD~A format......and SONY KNEW IT!

Last edited:
What I DO know is that senseless format war confused the public and doomed both formats.....but what salvaged SACD was it's 'hybrid' ability compatible with RBCD players and adoption by most classical labels.......and a credible reason Dutton Vocalion has resurrected it for their fabulous QUAD reissues.

And regarding DSOTM ..... it WAS pre~announced as an MLP DVD~A on the Capitol Label until SONY made Capitol an offer they couldn't refuse. Wish I could find THAT article. IMO, release of DSOTM on SACD almost singlehandedly doomed the DVD~A format......and SONY KNEW IT!

yes, the format wars were deeply unhelpful in what was already a fragile market.. insinuations of financial inducements aside, its well known Mr. Guthrie loves SACD (and incidentally hates DTS) so that might go some way to explaining things

yes, the format wars were deeply unhelpful in what was already a fragile market.. insinuations of financial inducements aside, its well known Mr. Guthrie loves SACD (and incidentally hates DTS) so that might go some way to explaining things

So the query arises Adam, Did you SERVE in the Format Wars [00~05]????? .... And If so, in what capacity?

See the source image

See the source image

Last edited:
Back