Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flaming Lips Yoshimi... Holy smokes...just picked it up.. Now that is what I call surround. And great music.

Indeed! This is how I like 5.1! Super compressed mastering but damn great mixes.

front.jpg

:)

How is the performance on the CM DVD-A? Are the rears anything beyond audience noise?
Forgive me for tuning out last night.
It was getting late over here. I had dreams of Southgate mall LOL! :kitty:
Southgate, Brookfield Square...wow! I haven't heard those names in a while. My mom would get a kick out hearing that I was chatting with someone half way around the world about those. I lived in the West Allis-New Berlin area of Milwaukee.

Curtis is in very good form in this 1988 concert. He plays a lot of great songs from Superfly... also It's Alright, People Get Ready, etc...

The venue is on the intimate side. Sounds good so far, right?

Well... this IS a Silverline, so there are some problems.

Heavy bass! This is the same problem that plagues their Inside the Music series, too. Granted Soul/R&B music tends to have strong bass, but it helps if you can get it under control.

The rear channels are mostly for ambience. There is more than just audience applause. Some reverb of the music can be heard, but nothing particularly discrete.

And...The Left/Right balance seems to be slightly off. At times the sound image sounds a little tilted to the left side. I'll have to check my set up. I notice it in both the front channels and rear channels. On casual listening, one might not notice it. Both when I sit down and listen, I can hear it. The center channel helps center his vocals, though.

A pity because the music/performance content is superb!

So, if you're willing to do some tweaking and be forgiving, it's great to hear Curtis perform these wonderful songs. I only paid $10 for mine and I'm happy.

Flaming Lips Yoshimi... Holy smokes...just picked it up.. Now that is what I call surround. And great music.
oh yeah ...2 thumbs up.... and get "The Soft Bulletin" and "At War with the Mystics" too if you can. A trio of excellent progressive pop albums, all very aggressively mixed. ... Lots of extras... lots of video. I don't seem to mind the alleged compression. They still sound great.

check out the grammy award list for those three albums.

Won: (2003) Best Rock Instrumental Performance for "Approaching Pavonis Mons by Balloon (Utopia Planitia)"
Nominated: (2004) Best Alternative Album for Fight Test EP.
Nominated: (2007) Best Alternative Album for At War With the Mystics.
Won: (2007) Best Rock Instrumental Performance for "The Wizard Turns On..."
Won: (2007) Best Engineered Album, Non-Classical for At War with the Mystics.
Nominated: (2008) Best Surround Sound Album for At War With the Mystics 5.1.

oh yeah ...2 thumbs up.... and get "The Soft Bulletin" and "At War with the Mystics" too if you can. A trio of excellent progressive pop albums, all very aggressively mixed. ... Lots of extras... lots of video. I don't seem to mind the alleged compression.

hehehe - I have all of those.....and I don't mind the compression either...

Pat Metheny Group - Imaginary Day - DVD-A - The first track blows the dust off you sub nicely if you crank it.... :eek:

LizardKing;239827[B said:
]Pat Metheny[/B] Group - Imaginary Day - DVD-A - The first track blows the dust off you sub nicely if you crank it.... :eek:

There is a name I haven't heard for awhile...Pat Metheny brings back memories of the Laser Disc days and when I was really into that type of music...nice to see he made it into the Downbeat Hall Of Fame a couple of years ago...I've been thinking of "going back" to that genre of music...might have to revisit it...

Gloryland, Anonymous 4. First listen. Very stark. Will have to give it several listens before I can make a verdict. I know what it's not: its not Porcupine Tree or Flaming Lips lol.:D

image.jpg

The Curse of Blondie - (DVDA DualDisc)

This was all new material when it came out in 2003. It doesn't contain any of the classic Blondie hits. But, the songs are pretty good and Deborah Harry still has it. :sun

The surround mix is surprisingly good for a Silverline. The heavy bass issue is under control. Overall sound is very good. There is also discrete use of the rears. Center channel is also quite involved in the mix.

This might not be one for the ages, but I am enjoying it.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/the-curse-of-blondie-mw0000695340

Back