Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike Bloomfield, Al Kooper and Stephen Stills SUPER SESSION [Columbia Records/SONY Japan SACD QUAD remaster] Is it time to retire my Audio Fidelity Multi~CH 5.1 SACD remixed by Al Kooper? Methinks, YES! Again, SONY Japan has released a stunning discrete 4 corner QUAD SACD in their special 7" packaging at a price point which almost negates AF's previous effort. Very Highly Recommended.

product image 2
The care in the mastering AND packaging of these and the rest of the Columbia Records/SONY Japan SACD QUAD remaster series is simply impeccable! I must admit, I started buying these before I even knew about the Rhino Quadio's...I've got to stop doing things "ass backwards"!

Kodo MONDO HEAD [Red Ink Records/Multi~CH SACD] Produced by Mickey Hart. A demo SACD with fully discrete use of all channels!

Primary
Please educate me as I am intrigued but have absolutely zero, nada, no clue what this or what kind of music is contained within. I know Mickey Hary has been involved with various drum/percussion projects so is this one of them?

Please educate me as I am intrigued but have absolutely zero, nada, no clue what this or what kind of music is contained within. I know Mickey Hary has been involved with various drum/percussion projects so is this one of them?
I listened to this disc when Ralph posted. I had forgotten how wonderful it sounds, especially CRANKED! I'm tempted just to type out the liner notes here, as they give a good indication of what Kodo is and what Mondo Head is about. Maybe i'll message you with some shots of the text. In the meantime, have you ever heard Japanese taiko drumming? Mondo Head is a wonderful amalgam of taiko drumming and chanting and flutes and bells all working wonderfully together to create, as Ralph notes. a "fully discrete use of all channels." To my ears, it is lush and rhythmic and melodic and dense. Sometimes the juxtaposition of East and West is initially jarring, but it always captivates me. I don't recollect how much i paid for it, but i will say if you can apply the @edisonbaggins patented Life in Surround "seek and ye shall find" search method and find it for a good price, it is–in my opinion–well worth the purchase. Stay Surrounded, Comrade!
The discogs listing offers some insight through song titles, instruments, and musicians:
https://www.discogs.com/release/9138358-Kodō-Mondo-Head

Last edited:
I listened to this disc when Ralph posted. I had forgotten how wonderful it sounds, especially CRANKED! I'm tempted just to type out the liner notes here, as they give a good indication of what Kodo is and what Mondo Head is about. Maybe i'll message you with some shots of the text. In the meantime, have you ever heard Japanese taiko drumming? Mondo Head is a wonderful amalgam of taiko drumming and chanting and flutes and bells all working wonderfully together to create, as Ralph notes. a "fully discrete use of all channels." To my ears, it is lush and rhythmic and melodic and dense. Sometimes the juxtaposition of East and West is initially jarring, but it always captivates me. I don't recollect how much i paid for it, but i will say if you can apply the @edisonbaggins patented Life in Surround "seek and ye shall find" search method and find it for a good price, it is–in my opinion–well worth the purchase. Stay Surrounded, Comrade!
The discogs listing offers some insight through song titles, instruments, and musicians:
This SACD is awesome.
If it's a musical fit, crank it and enjoy.

The care in the mastering AND packaging of these and the rest of the Columbia Records/SONY Japan SACD QUAD remaster series is simply impeccable! I must admit, I started buying these before I even knew about the Rhino Quadio's...I've got to stop doing things "ass backwards"!
yes, usually the QC is spectacular BUT, there's always the exception that proves the rule...I received the Santana/McLaughlin one and it was scratched quite horribly...so much they sent me another copy! I guess I am lucky that way..not!
sacd.jpg
sacd1.jpg

This SACD is awesome.
If it's a musical fit, crank it and enjoy.
Thanks for the "overview" for the contents that lie within the Kodo - Mondo Head SACD. I do know what taiko drumming is as I have actually had the unique pleasure in witnessing it live during a festival at the
Thanks for the concise yet descriptive take on the Kodo - Mondo Heasd SACD as it did help give me some insight into this release. Fortunately, I have had the opportunity to hear taiko drumming in person during a festival a few years back at the Buddhist Church of Sacramento. Much of its congregation are Issei, Nisei and Sansei (my family friends that I went with are Nisei and are very active members in the church), so they get some pretty legit artists and performances coming through. Now, so that I can start searching for this title, what in the heck does "applying the @edisonbaggins patented Life in Surround" mean??? I know you sent me this advice previously when I was asking about the Tull's "Songs From the Woods" box set so please enlighten me.

Thanks for the "overview" for the contents that lie within the Kodo - Mondo Head SACD. I do know what taiko drumming is as I have actually had the unique pleasure in witnessing it live during a festival at the

Thanks for the concise yet descriptive take on the Kodo - Mondo Heasd SACD as it did help give me some insight into this release. Fortunately, I have had the opportunity to hear taiko drumming in person during a festival a few years back at the Buddhist Church of Sacramento. Much of its congregation are Issei, Nisei and Sansei (my family friends that I went with are Nisei and are very active members in the church), so they get some pretty legit artists and performances coming through. Now, so that I can start searching for this title, what in the heck does "applying the @edisonbaggins patented Life in Surround" mean??? I know you sent me this advice previously when I was asking about the Tull's "Songs From the Woods" box set so please enlighten me.
I think he's referring to the Life in Surround out of print (OOP) shopping videos. There are a couple, IIRC.

Glad to be of service! Also glad you have experienced taiko drumming up close and personal. If you dig it, i think you would enjoy Mondo Head. Here are links to the Life in Surround videos:

I'm guessing you are already doing something like what @edisonbaggins suggests. For me, the keys are patience and vigilance; i'm often surprised at the great prices i find when i methodically check and don't mind waiting . . . sometimes for years! Stay Surrounded, Comrade!

Glad to be of service! Also glad you have experienced taiko drumming up close and personal. If you dig it, i think you would enjoy Mondo Head. Here are links to the Life in Surround videos:

I'm guessing you are already doing something like what @edisonbaggins suggests. For me, the keys are patience and vigilance; i'm often surprised at the great prices i find when i methodically check and don't mind waiting . . . sometimes for years! Stay Surrounded, Comrade!

I found a brand, spankin' new copy fer forty clams and I am excited to give it whirl. Thanks for helping me spend my money once again! In all seriousness, thanks for all the suggestions, tip, etc. They arer much appreciated!

I found a brand, spankin' new copy fer forty clams and I am excited to give it whirl. Thanks for helping me spend my money once again! In all seriousness, thanks for all the suggestions, tip, etc. They arer much appreciated!
SWEET! Keep us posted! Maybe there will be a poll thread by the time your copy arrives!

With all the psychedelic music I've enjoyed throughout my life, The Harmony Codex is like a magic carpet ride for a mind-expanding trip that also touches your soul. I listened to the ATMOS mix and really connected with this album in a strong way. I think I'll play Stanley Kubrick's 2001 light show when I listen to Impossible Tightrope again. Would love to see an animation team visualize this music (a modern day Fantasia). Wouldn't it be great to experience this at the Vegas Sphere? I got a kick out of "Are you in my dream or am I in your dream?"
Steven Wilson - The Harmony Codex.jpeg

Back