Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got the old Epic/Legacy SACD. Seems like there was a problem where the rears were swapped.
there was once an incorrect assumption, based on erroneous information that diagonal pans would make an SQ Quad decoder go gaga, which is not the case, turns out SQ decoders eat diagonals for breakfast!

panning across a diagonal (from FL to RR or FR to RL, or vice versa) was a thing back in the day, as was mixing diagonally (FL + RR, or FR + RL) and so the only way to mix a "Room Centre" position on a mix destined for SQ and for things not to disappear was to do it diagonally.

the conventional method of mixing a "Room Centre" position in Quad was to have the same element in equal volume in all 4 channels simultaneously. however if you do this in SQ, everything cancels out!

many years later we had it confirmed there are intentional diagonal pans and positions a go-go in the discrete original of the "Ship Ahoy" Quad, thanks to discussions between our man @steelydave and Philadelphia International's then head of Quad, Mr. Arthur Stoppe.

there was once an incorrect assumption, based on erroneous information that diagonal pans would make an SQ Quad decoder go gaga, which is not the case, turns out SQ decoders eat diagonals for breakfast!

panning across a diagonal (from FL to RR or FR to RL, or vice versa) was a thing back in the day, as was mixing diagonally (FL + RR, or FR + RL) and so the only way to mix a "Room Centre" position on a mix destined for SQ and for things not to disappear was to do it diagonally.

the conventional method of mixing a "Room Centre" position in Quad was to have the same element in equal volume in all 4 channels simultaneously. however if you do this in SQ, everything cancels out!

many years later we had it confirmed there are intentional diagonal pans and positions a go-go in the discrete original of the "Ship Ahoy" Quad, thanks to discussions between our man @steelydave and Philadelphia International's then head of Quad, Mr. Arthur Stoppe.
Wow. Thanks Freddie. Good to know.

Yes - The Yes Album (1971/2014) [High Fidelity Pure Audio Blu-Ray Disc ...

Finished my first listens to The Harmony Codex and Larks' Tongues in Aspic.

I intentionally didn’t listen to a note of THC prior to getting it, so my first listen was in Atmos. Not quite ready to form any significant opinion yet.

As for LTiA, if I had a weak heart, hearing the cranked-up “screeching” at the end of The Talking Drum would have put me in the grave.

Felt like I was so close to joining Elizabeth.

f8611897fc27f94aa062c4d18cb4170d.jpg

Upon second listen, I am in awe of Rhino's QUAD BD~A of Charles Mingus' MINGUS MOVES. Nesuhi Ertegun's astounding production skills capture every nuance of what transpired in that Atlantic Recording Studio in New York City in 1974. Whoever said that Jazz doesn't translate well into Surround should study this small esemble recording as proof that when done by skillful recording and remix engineers it brings the proceedings to a whole 'nother level!

R.32ab7b1d4fe167cce352722010bb60cd

HENRY MANCINI • THE BEST OF MANCINI – VOLUMES 1 & 2, THE CONCERT SOUND OF MANCINI, MANCINI SALUTES SOUSA & BONUS TRACK[SACD Hybrid Multi-Channel]

HENRY MANCINI • THE BEST OF MANCINI – VOLUMES 1 & 2, THE CONCERT SOUND OF MANCINI, MANCINI SALUTES SOUSA & BONUS TRACK​

[SACD Hybrid Multi-Channel]

Throughout the 60's, film/TV composer Hank Mancini ruled the airwaves with one magnificent theme after another. From TV's iconic Peter Gunn Theme to Experiment in Terror, Moon River, The Pink Panther, Hatari, Mr Lucky, Charade et alia ..... his reputation as a conductor, arranger and pianist were legendary.

And they're ALL here in Dutton's brilliant 2 disc set and in case you're wondering .... The Wizard's mastering is SPOT ON. To hear all these eternal themes in such magnificent discrete sonics is needless to say ..a rare treat.

If you're on the fence about ordering this set....get OFF the fence and let your fingers do the walking at the D~V website. And for US $30 ...... beyond a bargain...for FOUR complete albums + bonus track!

https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=2CDLK4636

R.e7016f6f157ccbbadf1c181f32c089e9

Last edited:
What device/gear are you using to get Atmos from Amazon Music?
(also-Unlimited?)

good ol' funky Disco (y)
Thanks
Fire stick, i’m on a free 4 month trial of unlimited, I wont be paying at the end of it, I find there’s no drums on virtually everything I listen to, as if the atmos mixers feel the need to dampen down the drums for some reason. The Tom Petty mixes are brilliant but hardly any drums, they are there but away in the background

Back