Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blood, Sweat & Tears - Mirror Image & New City [SACD Hybrid Multi-channel]

Blood, Sweat & Tears - Mirror Image & New City
[SACD Hybrid Multi-channel]

Two more superb remasters from the original analogue masters!

Kei Ogura - Tozakaru Fukei [5.1 SACD, UIGZ-7004, Mixed in Pure DSD, 1976]

tf.jpg

(Artwork I found online, I haven't scanned my own booklet yet).

Well, the mix doesn't really make use of the rears except for applause and reverb, but it mimics the live venue exactly, and is certainly the best, fidelity wise, this album has sounded, by a long shot. Plus, the multichannel mix is slightly longer, containing more stuff (longer intros to songs I think, so far). @Lute I wonder if this NHK performance ever got a DVD or Blu-ray issue?

Kei Ogura - Tozakaru Fukei [5.1 SACD, UIGZ-7004, Mixed in Pure DSD, 1976]

View attachment 98371
(Artwork I found online, I haven't scanned my own booklet yet).

Well, the mix doesn't really make use of the rears except for applause and reverb, but it mimics the live venue exactly, and is certainly the best, fidelity wise, this album has sounded, by a long shot. Plus, the multichannel mix is slightly longer, containing more stuff (longer intros to songs I think, so far). @Lute I wonder if this NHK performance ever got a DVD or Blu-ray issue?
I believe it was released on DVD with an additional Blu-Ray of an NHK special program on Kei Ogura. I haven’t heard it, so I can’t comment on the audio mix.

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/POBD-25906
It‘s 20% off on Amazon Japan:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/はじめまして、小椋佳です-ファーストコンサート1976-Blu-Ray付-特典-DVD/dp/B09PFSFVT5

Last edited:
I believe it was released on DVD with an additional Blu-Ray of an NHK special program on Kei Ogura. I haven’t heard it, so I can’t comment on the audio mix.

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/POBD-25906
Ah, thanks! I was wondering because the SACD doesn't include the commentary between tracks by Ogura, and I was hoping there might be a BD that might have it. This BD released in 2022, very recent! Looks like the SACD is way better than the BD, because the BD contains the shortened version, which is at least 20 minutes shorter than the SACD (and CD and Vinyl! :eek:), maybe even more if the BD contains Ogura's commentary. Furthermore, the BD doesn't have 5.1. Looks like I'll be sticking with the SACD! :)

For those not familiar, Kei Ogura holds the record for longest-running streak for an album (Wandering Around, 1972) being on the Oricon (Billboard-type thing) charts in Japan (232 weeks)! There's also a flat-transfer stereo SACD of that album released in 2019!

Last edited:
Ah, thanks! I was wondering because the SACD doesn't include the commentary between tracks by Ogura, and I was hoping there might be a BD that might have it. This BD released in 2022, very recent! Looks like the SACD is way better than the BD, because the BD contains the shortened version, which is at least 20 minutes shorter than the SACD (and CD and Vinyl! :eek:), maybe even more if the BD contains Ogura's commentary. Furthermore, the BD doesn't have 5.1. Looks like I'll be sticking with the SACD! :)

For those not familiar, Kei Ogura holds the record for longest-running streak for an album being on the Oricon (Billboard-type thing) charts in Japan (232 weeks)!
Yeah, I think you‘ve got the best version Audio-wise. I noticed the DVD was shorter, too. The target audience is probably here in Japan, so I wonder how much has been translated into English. I read he wrapped up his final tour with a performance at NHK Hall in January of this year.

Yeah, I think you‘ve got the best version Audio-wise. I noticed the DVD was shorter, too. The target audience is probably here in Japan, so I wonder how much has been translated into English. I read he wrapped up his final tour with a performance at NHK Hall in January of this year.
Well, I really don't mind. It's not like I can understand Japanese...I use translation programs when I want to, LOL.
I'm actually surprised Universal didn't issue more SACDs like this in Japan...they were pretty heavy on surround in the west...there's only like 5 SACDs in this surround line-up for Japan from Universal. They are also ridiculously impossible to find, even on Japanese auction sites. I got lucky with this one.

These are the only 5.1 J-SACDs from Universal I'm aware of.

UIGZ-7001: RC Succession - Rhapsody
UIGZ-7002: Yosui Inoue - Live Midorimichi
UIGZ-7003: Yosui Inoue & Anzenchitai - Stardust Rendez-vous
UIGZ-7004: Kei Ogura - Tozakaru Fukei
UIGZ-7005: Casiopea - Live & More

How about this one? Any envy for this one? Janis Ian is envious because she has no poll threads!
View attachment 98343 Janis Ian - Aftertones

https://www.allmusic.com/album/aftertones-mw0000691057
musically and mixwise, i prefer Janis Ian's other album that saw Quad release, "Between The Lines", the record before "Aftertones".

have you run either of the two Minnie Riperton SQ Quad LPs ("Perfect Angel" & "Adventures In Paradise") through your Surround Master yet Clem?

musically and mixwise, i prefer Janis Ian's other album that saw Quad release, "Between The Lines", the record before "Aftertones".

have you run either of the two Minnie Riperton SQ Quad LPs ("Perfect Angel" & "Adventures In Paradise") through your Surround Master yet Clem?
Thanks for today's playlist! Stay Surrounded, Comrade!

i'm your ice cream man!🍦😋
love to love you baby! 💘🥳
Just so you don't have to read Between the Lines: you are LOVE(D), baby! No poll for this, but it's a 10 in my book. LOVED the mix so much upon first hearing it that i framed the cover to hang on the wall of my Quad Room! Can't wait to play this one for my daughter when she comes down for Thanksgiving!
Screenshot 2023-11-17 at 11.29.56 AM.png

Last edited:
Back