May '24 "mind blowing" box guessing

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the minds blown comment really only refers to the fact that a new quadio box is being released. Not any more than that.

I would definitely pick up a set from Joni, Carly, or James, as long as there wasn’t a comma in the price tag. But I’m particularly partial to Carly.
Same here. And if a quad mix of Another Passenger turns up, that would make it all the sweeter. Passenger, produced by Ted Templeman, was a bit of departure from the Richard Perry albums, and has contributions from members of Little Feat and the Doobie Brothers. The song "Libby" is stunning. Of course, it didn't do as well commercially as its predecessors, unfortunately.

Same here. And if a quad mix of Another Passenger turns up, that would make it all the sweeter. Passenger, produced by Ted Templeman, was a bit of departure from the Richard Perry albums, and has contributions from members of Little Feat and the Doobie Brothers. The song "Libby" is stunning. Of course, it didn't do as well commercially as its predecessors, unfortunately.
Maybe you're onto something. Although Carly isn't exactly mind blowing, having an unreleased from her in the box set definitely would be! That would be a huge box set, too!

Is a Quadio box of newly mixed quads off the table? Maybe an artist that had one or two quads + two newly mixed quads, in the 70s quad mixing style of course.

Eagles, anybody?? (Far fetched, I know)
Eagles is the only release that would be mind blowing out of any realm of possible releases. I do understand mind blowing is definitely subjective!

My question to the amazingly knowledgeable people on the quad format who grace this forum:

Do some quad mixing boards still exist and are in working condition? Maybe I’m making things more complicated than they need to be but ideally if they are going to mix new quads then shouldn’t they be mixed on equipment belonging to that time? I don’t know everything about how it was done but for panning things around the room they would use a joystick, and all of this automation was done on the fly? So with all of that those moves are sometimes imperfect.

But then again mixing in a DAW is so much easier.

If a Joni Quadio box happened, they would only have to remix Blue, assuming that the rumored quad mix does not exist.

Last edited:
Well...a "mind blowing" box set could include existing quad mixes and one (or more) new quad/5.1 mixes from the old (restored) multitrack analog master tapes (I don't believe making new quad/5.1 mixes for the upcoming box set was specifically excluded).

Kirk Bayne

The only set that would interest me is Joni, but that needs to happen so badly that it just *has* to be it. I am dreaming of a set with vintage quad, new 5.1 and Atmos mixes for all the albums from Blue through Don Juan’s Reckless Daughter. That would be mind-blowing.

Would "Quadio" actually have any 5.1 or Atmos mixes?

Personally, I do t think so. If they did include those, the recent Fleetwood Mac, Doors, Alanis Morissette, Hootie and Van Morrison releases would have fallen under the Quadio name. They did not.
Stereo (or maybe mono for certain recordings) and Quad only is my expectation.

The only set that would interest me is Joni, but that needs to happen so badly that it just *has* to be it. I am dreaming of a set with vintage quad, new 5.1 and Atmos mixes for all the albums from Blue through Don Juan’s Reckless Daughter. That would be mind-blowing.
Yeah, in regards to blowing minds, the only two that make sense to me are either The Eagles or Joni Mitchell. Remember again as well that the prospect of newly-created quads are on the table, and that may be the case for this upcoming set.

The upcoming box set doesn't have to use the Quadio name - Quintio? (some original quad mixes and some new 5.1 mixes) ;)

Checking the Latin for 7.x.4 Atmos - Septem(io).Quadio

(maybe just Surround Sound)

Kirk Bayne

Stereo (or maybe mono for certain recordings) and Quad only is my expectation.
Although not part of the Quadio series, the recent Machine Head box set does show a willingness to put both quad and other surround/immersive mixes on the same release. I hope that "Quadio" can graduate to become a marketing term rather than simply a series of single-artist box sets and standalone releases, such that other albums with both classic quad and modern multichannel mixes can get a single, definitive Blu-ray release. I'd also be up for single- and multi-artist compilations (see: the recent The Best of the Doors Atmos Blu-ray, or the Audio Fidelity "Collection" SACDs).

Back