Music Media Helper (Tools for Multichannel Audio & Music Videos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you please confirm your DME version?
1699210210175.png

The problem might be with the DME it self? :unsure:

Actually it wasn’t clear whether your issue was encoding or decoding? But if it was encoding I was thinking DME 3.4.0 had fixes related to international character sets. You post rules that out.

Can you please confirm if your issue is with Atmos Helper encoding or decoding please? I’ll try and replicate.

Music Media Helper 7.1.3 Released

Direct link to installer: https://reva.blob.core.windows.net/mmh7/MMHInstaller.msi

Version 7.1.3 (November 6 2023)
-------------
Fixes:
A new version of Visual Studio removed random event code from MMH. This release restores lost events.
This restores MMH Version Auto Updater, Drag & Drop of files support lost in some dialogs.

Changes:
Auto updater now downloads at max 60MB/sec (was 25). Timeout extended by 2 minutes in case of slow internet.

ALL MMH 7 users should update to this version with the above direct link to the installer, once this is installed the auto updater should work correctly for future updates

ALL MMH 7 users should update to this version with the above direct link to the installer, once this is installed the auto updater should work correctly for future updates
Some how or another I ended up with 6.4.8 still installed along side 7.1.1 .
I just want to get fully updated, do you think it would be best for me to just manually remove both old packages
before running this latest install.
Thanks again for all you do Gary,
Sal

do you think it would be best for me to just manually remove both old packages

Latest 7.1.3 will overwrite your previous 7 version, so no need to uninstall.

MMH 6 is independent of 7, so you can leave it or remove it (your call) but I'm no longer fixing bugs in MMH 6 or doing further enhancements etc, so my advice is to remove it.

These are .NET apps so they don't trash the Windows registry like old com based apps. They're just a bunch of files. You can copy them all into any folder and the MMH exe will run. If you wanted to keep every version you could be copying each to its own folder.

Last edited:
Can you please confirm if your issue is with Atmos Helper encoding or decoding please? I’ll try and replicate.

Issue is when doing the encoding process. I am using "ia_mpeghd_testbench" command line tool for the decoding process.

Latest 7.1.3 will overwrite your previous 7 version, so no need to uninstall.

MMH 6 is independent of 7, so you can leave it or remove it (your call) but I'm no longer fixing bugs in MMH 6 or doing further enhancements etc, so my advice is to remove it.

These are .NET apps so they don't trash the Windows registry like old com based apps. They're just a bunch of files. You can copy them all into any folder and the MMH exe will run. If you wanted to keep every version you could be copying each to its own folder.
All completed with zero issues.
Thanks again

A fix is being uploaded now (7.1.4 Beta 1). I'll post the link shortly.
Thanks. the only reason I need it is becuase I want to remove the giant video portion of some MKV files, I extract the MKA, then want to put them back together in a single MKV.

Would be cool to have a "remove video" option in the audio extractor tool. I thought extracting from MKV to MKV would do the trick becuase the tool literally says "Extract Audio from MKV" but I'm not complaing at all. Thank you for everything.

I'm uploading the beta. Somehow I uploaded 7.1.3 previously...

EDIT: OK. Correct file there now

Would be cool to have a "remove video" option in the audio extractor tool. I thought extracting from MKV to MKV would do the trick becuase the tool literally says "Extract Audio from MKV" but I'm not complaing at all. Thank you for everything.

You could use that tool and extract to mka (removes the video stream), then just rename the mka files to MKV and join them.

Garry,

I am trying to batch rename a bunch of M4A extensions to MKA so that they will play via an external USB drive attached to my Oppo 205 player. This way they will not only play but will take advantage of the superior M4a tagging. Your excellent MMH program can batch convert M4A files to MKV thereby changing the extensions appropriately. However, I am wondering if it is also changing the underlying metadata in some way. If so, it would almost certainly be removing the better quality metadata from the original M4A files which would rather defeat the purpose. in my case. I could rename each file individually in Windows Explorer but that would be a bit of a pain. There is no way that I can find that will successfully batch rename extensions. There were a number of posts about using a syntax similar to ren *.m4a *.mka in the Windows Command prompt. I cannot get that method to work and a very recent post indicates that those commands simply don't work anymore. If push comes to shove, I will likely bite the bullet and rename the files individually unless MMH does what I want. Otherwise, do you have any suggestions? Thanks in advance. Jim

Hi Jim.

M4A is an mpeg container (like MP4). MKA is a Matroska container (like MKV).

You can’t just rename M4A to MKA. You would need to remux (convert) to change the container. Metadata will need to be rewritten as the two containers use completely different tagging systems. Matroska tagging is not supported.by many players.

You can rename M4A to MP4.

@quoddiophile I don’t have my Oppo in use now. You should test which file type gives best playback results. I don’t think Oppos play M4A. They May play MP4. They do play MKA/MKV.

Last edited:
Hi Jim.

M4A is an mpeg container (like MP4). MKA is a Matroska container (like MKV).

You can’t just rename M4A to MKA. You would need to remux (convert) to change the container. Metadata will need to be rewritten as the two containers use completely different tagging systems. Matroska tagging is not supported.by many players.

You can rename M4A to MP4.

@quoddiophile I don’t have my Oppo in use now. You should test which file type gives best playback results. I don’t think Oppos play M4A. They May play MP4. They do play MKA/MKV.
If I rename M4A to MP4:

1. Will it keep the tagging created originally in the M4A files?
2. Will it keep the sound quality (i.e. Atmos) that was created originally in the M4A files.

Of course I will try this once I gets some sleep (I was up all night) but it would still be good to have this confirmed by someone else.

Jim

If I rename M4A to MP4:

1. Will it keep the tagging created originally in the M4A files?
2. Will it keep the sound quality (i.e. Atmos) that was created originally in the M4A files.

Of course I will try this once I gets some sleep (I was up all night) but it would still be good to have this confirmed by someone else.

Jim
No.

If you rename the file "TRACK1-WITHTAGS-ATMOS.M4A" to "TRACK1-NOTAGS-NOATMOS.MP4" you will loose both, tags and Atmos.

(Sorry for the Joke.... I couldn't resist) :ROFLMAO:

This reminds me long time ago, at the era of MS-DOS and starting Windows 3.1, when I was discussing with a friend that believed that, if you rename the "extension" of the file, the system was 'converting' the format from the old to the new. I was explaining that the 'extension' part of the name is just part of the name, and no internal content is changed at all. But he didn't believe me.

It was an easy way for the O.S. to 'check' about the file format without actually doing it. Just looking at the extension name. Some O.S. now keep that 'economy check', like the Oppo not recognizing M4A files, just looking at its name (or extension).

Back