Music Media Helper (Tools for Multichannel Audio & Music Videos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Oppo UDP 205, with a 4.0 speaker mixdown setting to my Sansui QRX-9001, whilst my Denon AVC-X8500H takes a break.:)

I haven't played everything in my collection to date, but from memory;

Caravan - In The Land Of Grey and Pink 5.1 DSD -does not play correctly
Doors - L.A. Woman (DSD 5.1) - does not play correctly
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours (DSD 5.1) - does not play correctly

Carole King - Tapestry (DSD 5.1) -does play correctly
Depeche Mode - Songs Of Faith And Devotion (DSD 5.1) - does play correctly
Nick Drake - A Treasury (DSD 5.1) - does play correctly
T Rex - Electric Warrior (DSD 5.1) - does play correctly
Roxy Music - Avalon (5.1 DSD) - does play correctly

I have a Oppo UDP 205, with a 4.0 speaker mixdown setting to my Sansui QRX-9001, whilst my Denon AVC-X8500H takes a break.:)

I haven't played everything in my collection to date, but from memory;

Caravan - In The Land Of Grey and Pink 5.1 DSD -does not play correctly
Doors - L.A. Woman (DSD 5.1) - does not play correctly
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours (DSD 5.1) - does not play correctly

Carole King - Tapestry (DSD 5.1) -does play correctly
Depeche Mode - Songs Of Faith And Devotion (DSD 5.1) - does play correctly
Nick Drake - A Treasury (DSD 5.1) - does play correctly
T Rex - Electric Warrior (DSD 5.1) - does play correctly
Roxy Music - Avalon (5.1 DSD) - does play correctly
So to be clear, it's not disc playback but file playback that is the problem? How did you extract the files and in what format?

Yes it is file playback via USB.

I have not tested payback with the discs so far/

I didn't extract the files. I got them from the net as although I own these discs I don't have equipment to rip SACDs.

I used SACD Extract in just about every case to extract from the ISO.

The Caravan file would not work with SACD Extract and I thought the image might be corrupt, but JRiver Media Centre came to the rescue.

Al files below are with a DSF extension. A minority of other files not listed here are DFF.

Caravan - In The Land Of Grey and Pink 5.1 DSD -does not play correctly DSF
Doors - L.A. Woman (DSD 5.1) - does not play correctly DSF
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours (DSD 5.1) - does not play correctly DSF

Carole King - Tapestry (DSD 5.1) -does play correctly DSF
Depeche Mode - Songs Of Faith And Devotion (DSD 5.1) - does play correctly DSF
Nick Drake - A Treasury (DSD 5.1) - does play correctly DSF
T Rex - Electric Warrior (DSD 5.1) - does play correctly DSF
Roxy Music - Avalon (5.1 DSD) - does play correctly DSF

Odd. I don't have that model Oppo so I can't speak to any playback features/bugs.
If you want to try a mixdown to quad, open one of the files in Foobar and extract to wav. Then use MMH to remix to quad.
It will no longer be DSD but that's all I can say at the moment.
I don't know any app that will remix DSD, although one may exist.

I'm trying to using the Sansui mostly for music (and for movies) for a change from the Denon but I also want to get a switch box for the speakers and the RCA cables so that I can run one set of speakers for both receivers with out going through the hassle of swapping cables etc.

With the Denon, I mostly use it with analog but also use HDMI sometimes.

Last edited:
I'm trying to using the Sansui mostly for music for a change from the Denon but I also want to get a switch box for the speakers and the RCA cables so that I can run one set of speakers for both receivers with out going through the hassle of swapping cables etc.

With the Denon, I mostly use it with analog but also use HDMI sometimes.
Well if you get a switchbox, get a good one. Back when I used a soundcard I tried several; some manual ones worked well but were prone to corrosion, some others hardly worked. These were not expensive/top of the line but so it goes.
I was going to build my own using push buttons and relays, but I only use HDMI now so no need.

What does this mean? Plays In Stereo only, wrong channels layout, pops or noise Etc
In just about every case where it does not play properly, there are no vocals or the vocals are extremely feint, as if they are leaking from the other channels that are audible..

For example Riders On The Storm by The Doors. Jim Morrison's vocals are 99% inaudible. It's is as if his vocals were on the front centre channel (which I don't have in my 4.0 setup) of the 5.1 DSD file, but the Oppo is not down mixing/allocating the audio to the front left and front right channels.

With the other 5.1 DSD's, the fault is similar. Yes other 5.1 DSD's play as expected and sound great. Movies also sound great too.

I don't feel like I'm missing much if anything from a 5.1 (actually truth be told, its a 5.0 setup as I have no sub) to a 4.0 setup. Having said that, eventually I want to to back to back comparisons but I need a switch box for that.

Well if you get a switchbox, get a good one. Back when I used a soundcard I tried several; some manual ones worked well but were prone to corrosion, some others hardly worked. These were not expensive/top of the line but so it goes.
I was going to build my own using push buttons and relays, but I only use HDMI now so no need.
Yes. I have no idea what to get, and I need a switcher it for the speakers as well as I don't have the space and the funds at present to buy 4 dedicated 4.0 speakers.

There is a thread with some discussion of a switch box here:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...uad-receiver-denon-avr-3802.35102/post-740001

Yes. I have no idea what to get, and I need a switcher it for the speakers as well as I don't have the space and the funds at present to buy 4 dedicated 4.0 speakers.

There is a thread with some discussion of a switch box here:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...uad-receiver-denon-avr-3802.35102/post-740001
Those Phillips switches displayed in that thread used to be sold at Walmart dirt cheap, I bought a couple and used to switch outputs between a soundcard and another device. I believe they were actually manufactured in China for Phillips.

Those are the mechanical/passive switches I was referring to. I found them sort of prone to corrosion, but a good cleaning always brought them back around.
Strange because the humidity in the audio room stays pretty low, but anyway they work if you can find them.

I’m sure this problem has been addressed somewhere on here before, wondering if someone can point me in the right direction. I just finished ripping most of my Quad mixes released on optical formats (Blu-ray mainly)

When I play the FLAC files extracted from the MKV using MMH, it almost sounds like they’re playing at half the sample rate? The main ones in question are the Rhino Quadio’s which are at 192/24. Playing the original MKV file they sound just fine but I cannot skip between chapters on my UBP-X800M2 so I would much prefer to have the separate FLAC files. My 5.1 rips play just fine. I tried adding a silent center and LFE to the 4.0 files in Remix Channel Layout but that didn’t seem to do anything.

For those of us listening to Auro 3D music, they are delivered in two formats: MKV ( often including both Atmos and Auro 3D) and embedded FLAC ( many labels incl 2L, TRPTK, Sono Luminus, Alpha Classics, etc) The former is easily played by my Zidoo Z9X, the latter requires me to play them via the USB in of my Sony X800M2 Blu-ray player, as the Z9X throws up on them, playing as 5.1 best case ( embedded FLAC has a limit of 9.1 due to its poor channel mapping above that, as per Morten at 2L). The main problem (although clearly a first world problem :) ) is that I'd like to listen to these via the Z9X because the Sony has no web interface or remote GUI app, etc so I have to fire up my 120" pj setup, etc to find and listen to them.

Question: is there something I could do to these FLAC files (the heights are embedded and decoded by the native Auro decoder at the processor end) to stuff them in a video codec that the Z9X could recognize? I mean, the obvious is an MKV but I've no idea. Thx

Back