Music Media Helper (Tools for Multichannel Audio & Music Videos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New MMH Release:

Version 7.1.8 (December 4 2023)
-------------
Fixes:
Tag & Rename tool: 'Proposed File Name' did not update disc number unless 'Disc' changed in the Tag Editor - fixed

Changes:
Tag & Rename tool: Added new 'Use Artist Name in File Name' checkbox (immediately updates 'Proposed File Name') - new
Atmos Helper Decoding: Add support for drag and drop of supported input files - new
Chapter Editor tool: Added support for M4A audio files - new
Remix Channel Layout tool: Added new 'Quad Rears to Sides' option (updates quad files to F,L,Ls,Rs channel mask)

Updated MediaInfo to 23.11
Updated MP4box (non-shared build - Installer smaller by 40MB)
Updated PDF docs

Direct link to 7.1.8 installer:
https://reva.blob.core.windows.net/mmh7/MMHInstaller.msi

Hello,

I'm struggling to get the 7.1 -> 5.1 Remix Channel Layout option to work with v7.1.8 ..

I've tried it with both the new PG and Soft Cell releases that only have the Atmos mix. I extracted to 8 channel flac and tagged etc using MMH from the MKV file without issue, but then trying to remix down to 5.1 seems to not change the files - it leaves them as 7.1? I tried both overwriting the original files and remixing to a sub-folder. It says its converting and takes a few minutes as if it is doing something, but Foobar, for example, still shows the files as 8 channel (as does MMH if I open the remixed files with the Resample option).. Hopefully I'm just doing something wrong perhaps....?
Many thanks..

Hello,

I'm struggling to get the 7.1 -> 5.1 Remix Channel Layout option to work with v7.1.8 ..

I've tried it with both the new PG and Soft Cell releases that only have the Atmos mix. I extracted to 8 channel flac and tagged etc using MMH from the MKV file without issue, but then trying to remix down to 5.1 seems to not change the files - it leaves them as 7.1?
Why not use the Atmos source and mix down to 5.1?

It looks like there is a new bug in the tool when extracting the audio from MKVs. The processing chapters goes one past the actual track count and continues to say processing even though it is complete. Just cosmetic, but I thought you would like to know. This is version 7.1.8. Thanks for this great tool!!

1701885432464.png

I'm struggling to get the 7.1 -> 5.1 Remix Channel Layout option to work with v7.1.8

I will take a look at this today.

Why not use the Atmos source and mix down to 5.1?

If a user has a TrueHD decoder on their player the best option is to just play the Atmos stream directly and let the players decoder do the remixing to 5.1.

My experience has been that if a player can play a 7.1 FLAC file and their AVR only has a 5.1 speaker system the 7.1 is downmixed to 5.1 by the AVR. Users can test this by playing a test 7.1 FLAC with channel call-outs.

I think he might mean convert straight to 5.1? Not something I do but might be possible.

That would be possible but still requires a 2 step conversion, first the 7.1 core to FLAC, then to 5.1 by remixing the sides and rears. Not sure there’s many users needing this ?

I tested this today. Convert a BDA Atmos MKV to 8 channel FLAC, Remix tool to Convert 7.1 FLAC to 5.1 FLAC. Success.

I'm wondering if it fails because the file has an abnormal name (strange characters etc or you have a very long path > 255 characters etc. Can you please give be more info about your folder and file names. Are you working in non-english locale?

New MMH Beta Release:

Version 7.1.9 Beta 1 (December 7 2023)
-------------
Fixes:
Extract Audio from MKV tool: Progress indication displayed incorrect value at end - fixed @kcrimson
MusicBrainz Tagging: Double-Clicking on disc art image wrongly saves selected image to cover art - fixed

Changes:
MusicBrainz Tagging: Now always saves artwork immediately when double-clicked. Previously saved only if dialog saved
Updated MKVToolnix to 81.0

Direct link to Beta installer:
https://reva.blob.core.windows.net/mmh7/Beta/MMHInstaller.msi

I tested this today. Convert a BDA Atmos MKV to 8 channel FLAC, Remix tool to Convert 7.1 FLAC to 5.1 FLAC. Success.

I'm wondering if it fails because the file has an abnormal name (strange characters etc or you have a very long path > 255 characters etc. Can you please give be more info about your folder and file names. Are you working in non-english locale?
Pathname is short but you are right - its a character in the filename :)

All the PG files have " (In-side Mix) " as part of the file name.. If I remove the "-" then it converts as expected :) So its not liking the dash/minus

p.s. the Counting bug above also occurs in the Remix dialog - it says its remixed 1 more file than it actually does.. I think!

p.p.s I lied about the Soft cell files :( . When I checked them again they were converted fine so I should have realised before that there was a difference. Not sure why I thought they were wrong before.

Many thanks for the speedy response as always..

Last edited:
p.s. the Counting bug above also occurs in the Remix dialog - it says its remixed 1 more file than it actually does.

Fixed in next release and same fix in the Resample tool. (I changed the way MMH was doing parallel processing a while back - that caused the bad counting in the UI)

In lieu of tagging an mp4, can it be converted to m4a?
Technically, no "conversion" is required, just re-naming.

Historically the term .m4a is nothing more than an Apple creation to differentiate between 'audio only' encodes and those that contain audio and video (ie: .mp4). Apple also created .m4p for 'copy protected' encodes and .m4v for 'video only' encodes ;)

Technically, no "conversion" is required, just re-naming.

Historically the term .m4a is nothing more than an Apple creation to differentiate between 'audio only' encodes and those that contain audio and video (ie: .mp4). Apple also created .m4p for 'copy protected' encodes and .m4v for 'video only' encodes ;)
Ah! Sure I knew that sometime. CRS, baby.

Thanks, SMD!

Is it possible to do "extract audio from mkv" to "MLP no split" using command line tools that are available for linux? MMH is great (actually one of a kind great), but my windows skills are poor and all my files are on linux and Mac.

Back