Music Media Helper (Tools for Multichannel Audio & Music Videos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it possible to do "extract audio from mkv" to "MLP no split" using command line tools that are available for linux?

Use MKVToolNix (free) and runs on every os commonly used:

Run the gui exe

Add your mkv file, check only the TrueHD track (stream), set the output name to xxxxx.mlp then run it.

You can also use this command line:
mkvextract "The File.mkv" tracks 0:xxxxx.mlp

Where 0 is the TrueHD stream number (track number) if the MKV file has a video stream this must be > 0 as zero is the first stream, 1 is 2nd steam etc. xxxxx.mlp is your output file name.

• Love
Reactions: mkt
Use MKVToolNix (free) and runs on every os commonly used:

Run the gui exe

Add your mkv file, check only the TrueHD track (stream), set the output name to xxxxx.mlp then run it.

You can also use this command line:
mkvextract "The File.mkv" tracks 0:xxxxx.mlp

Where 0 is the TrueHD stream number (track number) if the MKV file has a video stream this must be > 0 as zero is the first stream, 1 is 2nd steam etc. xxxxx.mlp is your output file name.
That's exactly what I was looking for! I had installed MKVToolNix couldn't figure out the syntax for that.

Is there a Linux app that plays m4a/Atmos lossless? ....asking for a friend.
Not that I'm aware of. My files are mostly on a linux machine but my speakers are plugged in to a Mac which has the dolby reference player (available for Mac and windows). Sounds complicated when I say it :)

No Kodi does bitstream pass-through of TrueHD Atmos, DD+, DTS-HDMA etc. it can decode the core 7.1 for trueHD Atmos but not a proper decode to 7.1,4 etc.

VLC has a bug that does not decognise TrueHD correctly. It should be an easy fix. MPEG requires a codecID of mlpa and VLC does not like it. It should just go ahead and send it via pass-through like it does for TrueHD codecID.

I think I found the offending code that needs to be changed in VLC but I never got round to changing and testing it.

Last edited:
Technically, no "conversion" is required, just re-naming.

Historically the term .m4a is nothing more than an Apple creation to differentiate between 'audio only' encodes and those that contain audio and video (ie: .mp4). Apple also created .m4p for 'copy protected' encodes and .m4v for 'video only' encodes ;)
And also, there is .m4b, which is for audio books. Identical to an m4a, but iPods/iPhones will remember where you leave off in a m4b.

I use the tool to convert TrueHDAtmos ( mlp ) to DDP JOC Atmos Bluray Profile 7.1 but I dont see any atmos metadata retained during the conversion.

it's always the same blank metadata xml file that's generated and taken from the channelslayout.zip folder

1H5bPTi.png

if atmos metadata were correctly parsed, they should look like this after the conversion :

NKmQoGy.png

and the file should be way larger

any idea on how to solve this, maybe im doing something wrong but for now it's useless to encode mlp to DDP JOC, without the atmos panning metadata

any idea on how to solve this, maybe im doing something wrong but for now it's useless to encode mlp to DDP JOC, without the atmos panning metadata

I assume you are decoding the TrueHD Atmos to multichannel wav then re-encoding to DDP JOC.

The object metadata is lost in the decode but the object and any panning is decoded into the multichannel wav based on your output channel layout chosen in the decode process. When you re-encode from the mch wav the panning/object locations are placed in the same channels as the decode. You will hear exactly the same channel layout sound when the new encode is played, if you play it back on a system with same channel layout as the TrueHD decode.

Example: Metadata says move the object around the room in the heights, it’s decoded to play in the 4 ceiling channels moving around the heights, it’s reencoded from the 4 ceiling channels in the wav back to moving around the four ceiling channels in the DDP encode. It sounds the same to the listener in the same speaker layout.

I suggest you test this and hear for yourself.

What option under Remix Channel Layout can I use to downmix 5.1 DSD to 4.0? Some but not all of my 5.1 DSD rips will not ply properly, even after getting my Oppo to downmix.

Back