My DIY Audio Scope so far (will update)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A potential advertisement for the Wurlyscope:

Like many people of achievement, you’ve probably postponed some of life’s special pleasures on your way to where you are. If so, this is your time - and the new Wurlyscope is the perfect way to show to others that you have arrived. Go ahead......you deserve it. Also available in a special 24k Gold Plated version for those who only want the best.

I cobbled together two videos of the Wurly using SQ test tones generated by Malcom Lear's program with the Involve SQ and the Space & Image Composer.
First is 8-position, then X-axis, y-axis, and z-axis
I forgot to center the output balance pots on the S&IC before filming, so the center front tone is little off center. I almost never power it on since I haven't got it recapped yet, didn't want to do a retake. Also, just ignore TV and awkward breathing in the background. :)
Edit: Added video of Fosgate 101a, I attempted to adjust the balance pots this time but still not perfect. Unfortunately the the 101a has muddy sound but is still working in all channels, also probably could use service.

Involve SQ

Space & Image Composer

Fosgate Tate 101a

Last edited:
I cobbled together two videos of the Wurly using SQ test tones generated by Malcom Lear's program with the Involve SQ and the Space & Image Composer.
I forgot to center the output balance pots on the S&IC before filming, so the center front tone is little off center. I almost never power it on since I haven't got it recapped yet, didn't want to do a retake. Also, just ignore TV and awkward breathing in the background. :)

Involve SQ

Space & Image Composer

What's your opinion of these results between the two (does the S&IC lock on more accurately for most parts?)

What's your opinion of these results between the two (does the S&IC lock on more accurately for most parts?)
I would say both of them lock solidly and accurately direction wise, but the Involve seems to have more ambient sound from the opposing channels, the Tate only sounds awkward with certain stereo material with the seperation pot all the way up. Btw I just realized it was at about 85% in the video. The Wurly also seems to confirm this.

I would say both of them lock solidly and accurately direction wise, but the Involve seems to have more ambient sound from the opposing channels, the Tate only sounds awkward with certain stereo material with the seperation pot all the way up. Btw I just realized it was at about 85% in the video. The Wurly also seems to confirm this.
I used 1% precision resistors through all circuits to get accurate measurements.
There is no trim-pot adjustment inside.
I'm happy to see it in action.:51QQ

Thanks for the video, but I'm having trouble interpreting the results from your description of the test tones. I guess the the eight positions are supposed to be C,R,Rc,Rb,B,Lb,Lc,L (although I'm not sure I can identify them all) but what do you mean by the x, y and z axes in SQ?

Thanks for the video, but I'm having trouble interpreting the results from your description of the test tones. I guess the the eight positions are supposed to be C,R,Rc,Rb,B,Lb,Lc,L (although I'm not sure I can identify them all) but what do you mean by the x, y and z axes in SQ?
Yes, the first part is fr, cr, br, cb, bl, cl, fl, cf. The next three rotation tones are in SQ, but I don't really know exactly what they are doing, would have to ask Malcom since he created the program that generated these tones. They also look cool on x/y mode on a standard 2ch oscilloscope.
Here are the tones used in the vid:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_E_b7Q8Z96UI3l1IHUzP-69IXZ8aEMl2/view?usp=sharing

Hello Scopefans,

#6 ist working in Germany, Europe.

Thanks to Wurly for this excellent device.
It is a pleasure to see the music and enjoy the events in the half-dark.
I have given me a little delicious wiskey. And I may say that I could not go loose (but from the drink already) but I have heard a title by one.
My family already had me on the missing list

Here is a visual impression of my music room with the scope

LED-scope.jpg

Thank you Wurly

Thank you - yes here is everything ok.
But 200km or 120 miles from here ist ist undredible, it is a desaster. Helper compared it with a tsunami. The Chancellor said that there is no words in our language for what she has seen.
Only a little removed is all destroyed ... are life lost ... do not have people anymore.
Thanks for the good wishes and the sympathy. We should always remember that it can happen anytime in any place of this earth.
There is so much distress and misery worldwide.

Back