New David Gilmour record Luck and Strange Sept. 6 2024 (Atmos BluRay)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Third play through this morning before we have the pleasure of our grandsons company for the day.

A nod to the echo album for sure, in the song 'Scattered'.

It's a beautifully crafted album.

I never tire of David Gilmour and all that he produces.

The song Dark and Velvet nights has a loud drum beat from the rear heights that took me by surprise!!

How lucky are we to still have these musicians gracing our ears.

Here I am gently swaying in the middle of my man cave to this song ...'Sings'

I could play this release all day because it's just bloomin great 👍

Third play through this morning before we have the pleasure of our grandsons company for the day.

A nod to the echo album for sure, in the song 'Scattered'.

It's a beautifully crafted album.

I never tire of David Gilmour and all that he produces.

The song Dark and Velvet nights has a loud drum beat from the rear heights that took me by surprise!!

How lucky are we to still have these musicians gracing our ears.

Here I am gently swaying in the middle of my man cave to this song ...'Sings'

I could play this release all day because it's just bloomin great 👍
Yes, Sings is my fave at this early point.

David Gilmour is Dman.

I was slightly nervous in how David was going to approach his latest release.

Well my concerns were not warranted because this is a beautifully crafted album.

The song 'Sings' is magical. It must be because it made me get out of my comfy chair and stand in the middle of my man cave and gently sway to the total brilliance of the song.

I will never tire of playing this gem.

I found Rattle that Lock to be musically very… meh. Can easily live without it.
Would you say this new album is musically superior? Is it likely to work for those who didn’t like RtL?

Would you say this new album is musically superior? Is it likely to work for those who didn’t like RtL?
Yes, Mike, imo, this new release is superior to Rattle that Lock, which seemed to lack soul.
Im sure folk will thoroughly enjoy it and wish to have it on their playlist.

I played it once through last night with my son. I agree with you about the meh RtL my opinion is this is considerably more engaging, musically. Guitar work is stronger to my ear. I haven't gotten a feel for the lyrics yet. His daughters vocal performances are pretty good. I was in a poor listening spot, but it definitely sounded like a well done discrete atmos mix.

The Echoes vibe in Scattered as @beerking mentioned. Is pretty cool.

I guess I'll be the lone voice in defense of RtL. The opening track "5 AM" is a gorgeous instrumental. Great, funky groove and guitar work on the title track. Also really love the haunting, wistful vibes of "Faces of Stone" and "Dancing Right in Front of Me" - and of course it's all made better by Andy Jackson's impeccable 5.1 mix.

On this new one, so far "Between Two Points" and "Dark and Velvet Nights" are my favorites. The ending of "The Piper's Call" is pretty epic too.

I guess I'll be the lone voice in defense of RtL. The opening track "5 AM" is a gorgeous instrumental. Great, funky groove and guitar work on the title track. Also really love the haunting, wistful vibes of "Faces of Stone" and "Dancing Right in Front of Me" - and of course it's all made better by Andy Jackson's impeccable 5.1 mix.

On this new one, so far "Between Two Points" and "Dark and Velvet Nights" are my favorites. The ending of "The Piper's Call" is pretty epic too.
you're not the only one!
I dig "On An Island", Rattle That Lock", and "Luck and Strange"
all 3 are very good albums IMHO

:)

In terms of stereo mastering, Rattle That Lock is also far superior to Luck and Strange. Andy Jackson's involvement is definitely missed. I know it can sound a bit detached, maybe polite or overly polished, and some of the songs really only showed their full potential live, but I like an album that doesn't reveal its secrets all at once. Luck and Strange struck me as maybe a bit more superficial, more obvious - like On an Island in that way. But we'll see; I've only listened to it once so far...

I've only got a single listen. Musically I really enjoy the album. The Atmos mix is great, but I wouldn't say it's among the very best. The vocals in Luck and Strange are bit recessed. There's a nice low end foundation to the album as a whole, but it has a bit of a compressed sound to it. Like the dynamic range isn't quite there compared to OaI or RtL. Could just be me though. Yes, I Have Ghosts sounded great in Atmos. Will definitely be listening to this a lot more.

I initially listened to the Atmos version streaming on Apple Music before my hard copy arrived and was not extremely impressed. Then the Blu-ray arrived.

Maybe I was just in a different frame of mind but that experience was way better. Part of it I believe is because the less than impressive lyrics weren’t scrolling down the screen during the album on the Blu-ray and I could concentrate more on the music. But there is no denying that streaming Atmos is a far cry from an actual disc.

Always hit and miss with Amazon US.
Luck and Strange Deluxe now arriving September 30.
I did get the CD on September 6.

I just like sticking with Amazon.

I have been watching a bunch of videos on YouTube, pretty good.
I like the 1st and last song. Instrumentals. And of course the one with his daughter. The others not so much. I may be wrong, but maybe get Polly out of 'assisting' in lyrics. 👋

I like the 1st and last song. Instrumentals. And of course the one with his daughter. The others not so much. I may be wrong, but maybe get Polly out of 'assisting' in lyrics. 👋

Well everyone has their own tastes. I've enjoyed the 3 solo albums and The Division Bell which she's been apart of. About the only real miss for me was Louder Than Words off Endless River.

I’m waiting very patiently for the self titled album and About face to be done in surround, About face is his best album in my opinion
Given that Steven Wilson was provided the multitracks for "There's No Way Out of Here," and was unable to convince Gilmour that a full album remix was worth doing, I fear we'll never get the first two in surround. About Face has some dense arrangements ("Blue Light," for example) that could really benefit from additional channels.

Back