New Pink Floyd reissues possibly with surround...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea I seen that. Maybe the CD's will actually be a hybrid SACD. That would be to cool, especially if it had a 5.1 portion.

Here's a question, Do you think the DSOTM Immersion set will have the Alan Parsons quad mix along side of the JG 5.1 mix?? That would be interesting!!

Spence
According to play.com it has:
* Box set includes:
* 40 page 27cm x 27cm booklet designed by Storm Thorgerson
* Exclusive photo book edited by Jill Furmanovsky
* 27cm x 27cm Exclusive Storm Thorgerson Art Print
* 5 x Collectors' Cards featuring art and comments by Storm Thorgerson
* Replica of The Dark Side Of The Moon Tour Ticket
* Replica of The Dark Side Of The Moon Backstage Pass
* Scarf
* 3 x Black marbles
* 9 x Coasters (unique to this box) featuring early Storm Thorgerson design sketches
* 12 page credits booklet
* DVD 1 - All Audio:
* The Dark Side Of The Moon, James Guthrie 2003 5.1 Surround Mix (previously released only on SACD) in standard resolution audio at 448 kbps
* The Dark Side Of The Moon, James Guthrie 2003 5.1 Surround Mix (previously released only on SACD) in high resolution audio at 640 kbps
* The Dark Side Of The Moon, LPCM Stereo mix (as disc 1)
* The Dark Side Of The Moon, Alan Parsons Quad Mix (previously released only on vinyl LP/8 track tape in 1973) in standard resolution audio at 448 kbps
* The Dark Side Of The Moon, Alan Parsons Quad Mix (previously released only on vinyl LP/8 track tape in 1973) in high resolution audio at 640 kbps
* DVD 2 - ALL AUDIO VISUAL:
* Live In Brighton 1972:
* Careful With That Axe, Eugene (previously unreleased on DVD)
* Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun (previously unreleased on DVD)
* The Dark Side Of The Moon, 2003 documentary (25 min EPK)
* Concert Screen Films (60 min total):
* British Tour 1974
* French Tour 1974
* North American Tour 1975
* Screen films play in stereo and 5.1 Surround Sound
* DVD 3 - BLURAY, AUDIO+AUDIO VISUAL
* Audio: The Dark Side Of The Moon, James Guthrie 2003 5.1 Surround Mix (previously released only on SACD) in high resolution audio at 96 kHz/24-bit
* Audio: The Dark Side Of The Moon, Original stereo mix (1973) mastered in high resolution audio at 96 kHz/24-bit
* Audio Visual: Live In Brighton 1972:
* Careful With That Axe, Eugene (previously unreleased on DVD/BluRay)
* Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun (previously unreleased on DVD/BluRay)
* Audio Visual: The Dark Side Of The Moon, 2003 documentary (EPK)
* Audio Visual: Concert Screen Films (5.1 Surround Mix):
* British Tour 1974
* French Tour 1974
* Audio Visual: Concert Screen Films (High Resolution Stereo Mix):
* British Tour 1974
* French Tour 1974

A....
* DVD 3 - BLURAY, AUDIO+AUDIO VISUAL
* Audio: The Dark Side Of The Moon, James Guthrie 2003 5.1 Surround Mix (previously released only on SACD) in high resolution audio at 96 kHz/24-bit
* Audio: The Dark Side Of The Moon, Original stereo mix (1973) mastered in high resolution audio at 96 kHz/24-bit
* Audio Visual: Live In Brighton 1972:
* Careful With That Axe, Eugene (previously unreleased on DVD/BluRay)
* Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun (previously unreleased on DVD/BluRay)
* Audio Visual: The Dark Side Of The Moon, 2003 documentary (EPK)
* Audio Visual: Concert Screen Films (5.1 Surround Mix):
* British Tour 1974
* French Tour 1974
* Audio Visual: Concert Screen Films (High Resolution Stereo Mix):
* British Tour 1974
* French Tour 1974

No need to buy this one since the Parsons mix is missing and the Guthrie is already out on SACD.

damn, was excited to discover that 640 kbps is a sound of High Resolution.
thank you EMI for enlightening

damn, was excited to discover that 640 kbps is a sound of High Resolution.
thank you EMI for enlightening

"High" is subjective, I guess. ;)

Hey Robert van Dinggele, Have your saw anything on "The Wall" being redone in 5.1?

Spence

It was a typo, Supposed to say "Higher" resolution.

I'm out unless 5.1 discs become available by themselves, (excluding DSOTM). I have enough of that one already.

Note the comment in the press release: "The long-awaited 5.1 version of 'Wish You Were Here,' mixed by James Guthrie, will also be released in parallel via independent label Acoustic Sounds.” (y)

Arghh -it would be nice if the Blu-rays included the Quad Mixes!!!! But it looks like they don't....

This is HUGE and we should be grateful, not spiteful, to be getting a LOT more than we bargained for from the PF camp besides a singular hybrid 5.1 SACD. For those that only care about a surround mix, you probably already know where to go soon after these are released. As for me personally, between the Star Wars BD set and now this, I'm clearly going to need a second job this summer.

This is HUGE and we should be grateful, not spiteful, to be getting a LOT more than we bargained for from the PF camp besides a singular hybrid 5.1 SACD. For those that only care about a surround mix, you probably already know where to go soon after these are released. As for me personally, between the Star Wars BD set and now this, I'm clearly going to need a second job this summer.

I'm 100% with you Dan, I am grateful for any and all surround releases these days and I buy them all eventually regardless of whether I know the band or album, and in this specific case, I'm ecstatic!!!

The Wall Immersion from Play.com:

Disc 1 - The Wall Digitally Remastered by James Guthrie, 2011

In The Flesh?
The Thin Ice
Another Brick In The Wall Part 1
The Happiest Days of Our Lives
Another Brick In The Wall Part 2
Mother
Goodbye Blue Sky
Empty Spaces
Young Lust
One of My Turns
Don't Leave Me Now
Another Brick In The Wall Part 3
Goodbye Cruel World

Disc 2 - The Wall Digitally Remastered by James Guthrie, 2011

Hey You
Is There Anybody Out There
Nobody Home
Vera
Bring The Boys Back Home
Comfortable Numb
The Show Must Go On
In The Flesh
Run Like Hell
Waiting For The Worms
Stop
The Trial
Outside The Wall

Disc 3 - The Wall Album Demos (Previously Unreleased)

TBC

Disc 4 - The Wall Album Demos (Previously Unreleased)

TBC

Disc 5 - Is There Anybody Out There: The Wall Live (Digitally Remastered in 2011 by James Guthrie)

MC:Atmos (Live)
In The Flesh? (Live)
The Thin Ice (Live)
Another Brick In The Wall (Part 1) (Live)
The Happiest Days Of Our Lives (Live)
Another Brick In The Wall (Part 2) (Live)
Mother (Live)
Goodbye Blue Sky (Live)
Empty Spaces (Live)
What Shall We Do Now? (Live)
Young Lust (Live)
One Of My Turns (Live)
Don't Leave Me Now (Live)
Another Brick In The Wall (Part 3) (Live)
The Last Few Bricks (Live)
Goodbye Cruel World (Live)

Disc 6 - Is There Anybody Out There: The Wall Live (Digitally Remastered in 2011 by James Guthrie)

Hey You (Live)
Is There Anybody Out There? (Live)
Nobody Home (Live)
Vera (Live)
Bring The Boys Back Home (Live)
Comfortably Numb (Live)
The Show Must Go On (Live)
MC:Atmos (Live)
In The Flesh (Live)
Run Like Hell (Live)
Waiting For The Worms (Live)
Stop (Live)
The Trial (Live)
Outside The Wall (Live)

No sign of surround yet. :(

I've already gone from really excited to really disappointed now that it seems that the quad mixes will be some sort of DD instead of lossless. At least give us DTS 24/96 if not DVD-A or Blu-Ray. I'll probably get excited again....

I've already gone from really excited to really disappointed now that it seems that the quad mixes will be some sort of DD instead of lossless. At least give us DTS 24/96 if not DVD-A or Blu-Ray. I'll probably get excited again....

I concur. It is not cool, giving us a 5.1 mix of wywh by Guthrie in hi-rez, but the quad in DD. If Guthrie was a real man, he would demand both be provided in hi-rez so the obvious comparison could be made.

I'd be pretty happy with most that is on offer here and if the price is around US$100 for the fancy (Immersion) versions, I'll be happy to have them. I agree with the reservations expressed regarding the DSTOM and WYWH quads being in DD. Maybe 'real' versions of the quad mixes may be available later in the "digital editions".

It seems a shame that Atom Heart Mother wasn't considered for the Immersion treatment so they could add the quad mix too? There must be plenty of stuff that could be added as bonus material eg the 1970 Paris Cinema BBC concert, Interstellar Fillmore, etc

And what of the fabled Animals quad mix? If it does indeed exist, it's seems that they are happy to skip over it on the way to The Wall and forget it along with the AHM quad. I seem to recall that AP says (not disparagingly) that PF were not that happy with his quad mix of DSOTM (or words to that affect) and that was why we got the Guthrie mix.

As I said, I'm pretty happy just to get WYWH. I remember buying the LP (stereo) when it first came out with my girlfriend (now wife) at Grace Bros Parramatta. We listened (and still listen) to that more than most Floyd and it still holds a special place.

I also agree with Dan that these are another couple of oases in what generally looks like a desert. In a perfect world, not exactly (but very close) what I'd like but I say thank you for what's on offer
Tom

Sorry to say that: Boring!
All this fuss to get only a 640Kb Dolby Digital?
Gotta see the Acoustic Sound release...

Back