New Pink Floyd reissues possibly with surround...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@ ssully - Pearl clutching? Had to look that one up... http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Clutching My Pearls

Lossy compressed is still lossy compressed. IMO these releases suck for surroundphiles. Why not release the quad mixes in a lossless format, i.e. on the bluray or include a damn audio_ts folder with lossless in the dvd? Why include the boring Guthrie ambient, oops I mean surround, DSTOM mix on the bluray but not the better Parsons' one? And why did they not make/release a surround mix for The Wall?

Pass (unless Guthrie has a better surround mix for WYWH then he did for DSTOM, in which case I'll get that one, probably SACD only :) ).

------------------------

Edit: The link below has some interesting interviews on the DSOTM surround mixes. I especially liked the Parsons interview as far as how it breaks down some of the differences between the two surround mixes (go to the link and scroll down to "Another Phase of the Moon")

http://www.pinkfloydz.com/darksidesandv.htm

Last edited:
Hi Spence, some info here, http://s7.zetaboards.com/Pink_Floyd/single/?p=10408452&t=8509040 This guy Rontoon knows quit a lot, together with luna65. Ron announced something big was coming in 01-04-2011, but some thought it was a joke. Turns out it was surely not.

This is certainly NOT an official statement. But from Rontoon on the above forum board:

And yes JG completed a 5.1 mix of the original Wall album in addition to a new high def mix of The Wall film that is slated for a Blu-ray release.

I may be gullible, but it's still enough to give me some hope.

Spence

Haven't we come to the conclusion that it was Aqualung :chill

And not a single mention of surround in the entire article :-(

No, but it *does* say that expanded versions of other albums are in the pipeline, so hopefully that turns into more good news.

Prices going up. That should help sales. :rolleyes:

Immersions sets: $130.17
Discovery set: $208.00

At this rate, the prices will triple by September.

I'd say the type of person who's going to buy these discs has bought these albums more than twice over already. Money won't be the obstacle. It's the overkill of whether people want to upgrade their copy of whatever album again, extras or not.

My buying any of these will live and die on whether the WYWH mix is an excellent one. If it's a Steve Wilson type of perfectly separated mix, I'm in. If not, I have PLENTY of surround versions of WYWH that do me just fine.

I'm not interested in the rest. The upgrading of my Floyd collection ended at "Shine On" and the subsequent early collection remasters in the 90's. There's not much they can squeeze out of those mixes, fidelity-wise, without brickwalling. "Extras" tend to get listened to only one or twice by me.

I pre-ordered both (DSOTM & WYWH) Immersion sets on Tuesday, figuring there was plenty of time to change my mind if I wanted to cancel. Looks like it was a good call. Should have included "The Wall" while I was at it.

Once again, I should have ordered two of everything. One to keep and one to sell. The rate of return would be better than my 401k is doing!

Hello. Don't see a 5.1 for The Wall Immersion set, so no go. I hope the Analogue Productions pre-order comes in a timely manner so I can cancel my Amazon order. If not, I'll just keep the Blu-Ray and sell the rest at a very cut rate. Thanks.

They have not released the details for everything in the "Wall" set yet, and they also say that more box set releases may come that are not included in the article. I think there may well be a 5.1 version of The Wall as well, judging from what they included in the other sets. Anyway, it's all speculation until we have definitive word... :)

Here's an interesting article

http://www.seattlepi.com/default/article/Why-Pink-Floyd-A-Reissue-Revival-1379851.php#page-1

And that's just what's been made official. Reports are out there that there's a lot more, particularly with the "Immersion" versions. For example, The Wall, according to these rumors, should include all of the movie versions - all remastered. Wish You Were Here may very well contain the Household Objects recorded between Dark Side of the Moon and that record. All kinds of stuff from the vaults - you know, the stuff that "didn't exist" - is also about to be unleashed.

I'm psyched!

Floyd.jpg

Back