New Pink Floyd reissues possibly with surround...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While thinking about my pre-release decision to wait for the WYWH SACD from Acoustic Sounds, it occurred to me that it will probably cost $29.99 + $7.45 S&H.

While thinking about my pre-release decision to wait for the WYWH SACD from Acoustic Sounds, it occurred to me that it will probably cost $29.99 + $7.45 S&H.

I sure it will be at that price point.

And then there's this ... from the Pink Floyd forum, more conjecture and speculation? Or is this a little more good news?

Animals is not a "bonus" and should be treated as a major release on it's own. I'd bet that it would be the 4th Immersion Box along with Piper as Number 5. And there are plenty of live recordings from the Animals tour. AFAIK every show was recorded (on a Nagra) and archived by Nick. Whether or not any multi-tracks exist (other than stereo) is yet to be seen. My guess is that a live 1977 concert (audio) will be released with the Immersion Box... at least the Animals set. There was also a Quad Animals mix and I'm expecting a new 5.1 hi-rez mix by James Guthrie. And of course all of the screen films (some new, some updated) and maybe even some live bonus tracks.. and video???

Spence

Animals is not a "bonus" and should be treated as a major release on it's own. I'd bet that it would be the 4th Immersion Box along with Piper as Number 5. And there are plenty of live recordings from the Animals tour. AFAIK every show was recorded (on a Nagra) and archived by Nick. Whether or not any multi-tracks exist (other than stereo) is yet to be seen. My guess is that a live 1977 concert (audio) will be released with the Immersion Box... at least the Animals set. There was also a Quad Animals mix and I'm expecting a new 5.1 hi-rez mix by James Guthrie. And of course all of the screen films (some new, some updated) and maybe even some live bonus tracks.. and video???

Spence
If that is true (please, please be true), I would look more forward to Animals in 5.1 than The Wall. Dogs and Sheep in surround....thats pretty close to as good as it gets.

If that is true (please, please be true), I would look more forward to Animals in 5.1 than The Wall. Dogs and Sheep in surround....thats pretty close to as good as it gets.

That's how I feel about it. If we could get the unreleased 1970's "Animals" Quadraphonic mix that would be awesome and a "Holy Grail" Quadraphonic recording we won't have to search for anymore. A new 5.1 mix with it would be icing on the cake!

As others have already mentioned, I'm not really all that thrilled about "The Wall" without Multi-Channel. You would have thought an original Quad live mix of it would hopefully exist since so much was put into the original production. Or if not, a new 5.1 mix from the studio recordings should be there at any rate. We'll just have to wait and see, but so far, very hopeful signs coming our way.

Can you imagine what these would have been if Steven Wilson was let loose on it ????;)

Particularly 'Animals ' , he grew up with that one . Still , I'm in . Definitely .

M

Here they go again... WYWH as an SACD is great. I'm all excited about that as I would be of any Floyd 5.1 offerings.
But why the hell do they always want to offer a 5.1 mix only in a $130 to $170.00 "immersion" box set and not just offer it alone
for say $30 or $40.00??
There are a ton of new SACD titles both stereo and 5.1 and probably some new Blu-Ray stuff coming within the next 6 to 8 months.
We want to keep up with our hobby without a second mortgage on the house!
And you know if you don't get in on the ground floor, they go out of print and than the E-Bay monsters kick in!

Aqualung, Quadrophenia, WYWH, some Warner Japan stuff, Cat Stevens (stereo), some SHM-SACDs (also stereo) and the list of new stuff keeps coming. Gotta get the savings account up! :)

Here's a modern-day equivalent, somewhat relevant, which ended up making a small part of me die. The limited edition box of the remixed edition of one of my favorite albums of last year:

http://btmusic.com/releases/these-h...-complete-limited-edition-signed-box-set.html

That would be $85 more (intially.....goes up to $149 after the presale) for something that, music-wise, only adds an extra third disc of remixes. Ridiculous. Other than his biggest fanbase (much smaller than Pink Floyd's, obviously), who is going to buy this? This begs for "buy the two-disc edition, grab the third online somewhere."

I feel your pain.

Here they go again... WYWH as an SACD is great. I'm all excited about that as I would be of any Floyd 5.1 offerings.
But why the hell do they always want to offer a 5.1 mix only in a $130 to $170.00 "immersion" box set and not just offer it alone
for say $30 or $40.00??...

Acoustic Sounds will sell the SACD, release date of November 7th. Probably for around 30 to 40 bucks. As far as I know, The SACD will not be included in the Immersion Box. If you want the Blu-Ray of the 5.1 or the DD of the Quad mix, You'll have to get the box set.

Acoustic Sounds will sell the SACD, release date of November 7th. Probably for around 30 to 40 bucks. As far as I know, The SACD will not be included in the Immersion Box. If you want the Blu-Ray of the 5.1 or the DD of the Quad mix, You'll have to get the box set.

I saw that! I'd go for both, the SACD AND the Blu-Ray but SACD it is... I just can't afford to spend all that money on the box. I would, however go $40-45 for a Blu disc.
Tom Petty did the same thing on his Live Anthology. I think I'd pay $50.00 just for the Blu-Ray but not $140.00 for a box of discs I don't need.
It's not even just about the money... I don't need more CDs & etc. I'll never play of versions I'll never play.
I did buy the Blu of Damn The Torpedoes as well as the 180 Gram of it (I got lucky and got the red vinyl edition!) but I got the LP because I collect vinyl as well.
This may be sacrilege but I never opened my KC Box set... I had too big a hard on for listening to the surround version! The CDs would just sit there.

Just a couple of thoughts and questions...

For those just considering the SACD (for the surround tracks), don't forget you won't be able to get this into a digital music library too easily...
You may be able to do this with the Blu Ray. And the DVD-A...(is it a DVD-A?????)

Now my Questions regarding WYWH Box Set

1/ Is the Blu Ray universal zoned?
2/ Is that DVD 3 disc labelled "All Audio"..in fact a DVD-A (therefore not zoned), or is it a DVD-V (and if so...what zone)?

I'm in Aus. I've just pre-ordered from Amazon US..... What the heck. I couldn't help myself. But I'll be a bit pissed if the blu ray and DVD "All Audio" won't play.....

For those just considering the SACD (for the surround tracks), don't forget you won't be able to get this into a digital music library too easily...
Afaik this won't have been quite true by the time the SACD is released :phones

You may be able to do this with the Blu Ray. And the DVD-A...(is it a DVD-A?????)

2/ Is that DVD 3 disc labelled "All Audio"..in fact a DVD-A (therefore not zoned), or is it a DVD-V (and if so...what zone)?

I'm in Aus. I've just pre-ordered from Amazon US..... What the heck. I couldn't help myself. But I'll be a bit pissed if the blu ray and DVD "All Audio" won't play.....

I could be very wrong about this, but since this is music, it should not have those annoying "zones" in 2011.

If I could briefly comment, those stupid "zones" should never have been implemented as folks were always able to buy any DVD no matter where one lived online since the late 1990's. Folks were also easily able to modify their machines or buy one. They need to get rid of those "zones" and never, ever use them again!

These discs should be zone "0" I'm guessing which would play on any unit. One should be concerned if you can play a disc if it's PAL or NTSC, and if you can play both types, odds are the machine accepts all zones. A band with a song like "Us and Them" should not be putting world zones on a disc! ;)

I could be very wrong about this, but since this is music, it should not have those annoying "zones" in 2011. If I could briefly comment, those stupid "zones" should never have been implemented as folks were always able to buy any DVD no matter where one lived online or by mail since the late 1990's. They need to get rid of those and never, ever use them again.

Discs should be zone "0" which should play on any unit. One should be concerned if you can play a disc if it's PAL or NTSC, and if you can play both types, odds are the machine accepts all zones. A band with a song like "Us and Them" should not be putting world zones on a disc! ;)

We shall see...

There is always ebay if things don't work out...:D

I could be very wrong about this, but since this is music, it should not have those annoying "zones" in 2011.

If I could briefly comment, those stupid "zones" should never have been implemented as folks were always able to buy any DVD no matter where one lived online since the late 1990's. Folks were also easily able to modify their machines or buy one. They need to get rid of those "zones" and never, ever use them again!

These discs should be zone "0" I'm guessing which would play on any unit. One should be concerned if you can play a disc if it's PAL or NTSC, and if you can play both types, odds are the machine accepts all zones. A band with a song like "Us and Them" should not be putting world zones on a disc! ;)

Since when have record companies made sane and rational decisions ?

In answer to question 2, I quote from the relevant web site the details of the disc 3 DVD:
DISC 3 – DVD 1, ALL AUDIO: The Dark Side Of The Moon, James Guthrie 2003 5.1 Surround Mix (previously released only on SACD) in standard resolution audio at 448 kbps / The Dark Side Of The Moon, James Guthrie 2003 5.1 Surround Mix (previously released only on SACD) in high resolution audio at 640 kbps / The Dark Side Of The Moon, LPCM Stereo mix (as disc 1) / The Dark Side Of The Moon, Alan Parsons Quad Mix (previously released only on vinyl LP/8 track tape in 1973) in standard resolution audio at 448 kbps / The Dark Side Of The Moon, Alan Parsons Quad Mix (previously released only on vinyl LP/8 track tape in 1973) in high resolution audio at 640 kbps
This means it is Dolby Digital DVD-Video, and somehow "High Resolution Audio" now seems to mean 640kbps Dolby fucking Digital!!!
Now, colour me biased if you like, but how in the name of all that is sacred can ANYTHING in Dolby Digital get called "High Resolution"???
640kbps is not even DVD-Video legal, so it is out of spec to boot.
About all that can be said for this is that it will be full bandwidth, I suppose....(448kbps goes unidirectional at 15kHz, and 384 goes at 10kHz)

I would have thought the Blu Ray would not be zoned, but who can tell.....

Has anyone heard if there will be a surround sound version of Meddle? It would be great to hear 5.1 versions of echoes and possibly embryo. There are so many possibilities that could occur.

bob shafer

DVD-V in Depeche Mode SACD+DVD-V albums are zoned, aren't they?:howl

So very true AFAIK/remember. It's difficult enough that they're PAL for us with NTSC, but to add a "zone" to the discs was totally unnecessary.

For those out of the loop, one can for about the price of one Depeche Mode SACD (say about $50), can get a combo DVD-A/SACD player that can be modified to play worldwide both PAL and NTSC discs, zone free. And if you choose the right player, one that also ignores DVD-A watermarks.

"Zone Free," boy there's a 1990s phrase for you! ;)

Back